any ford engine experts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2002, 06:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Angry any ford engine experts?

hey I just short blocked a 75 302 its .030 over, trw flat tops, and im running a mild engel cam. im thinking of porting my 302 heads it came with (cant afford aluminum yet) but i was told top try and get a set of 351 heads cause they breath better anuy one know what year would work and if any mods are needded any help would be appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2002, 01:30 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

In my humble opinion, I would try to find a let set of FI heads (E7TE) as they will flow better and most 5.0 guys replace them with aluminum.

But to answer your origional question, 351W heads from an early production run, '69 to '71. You also need to change the head bolt size (readily available in kit) and a few other minor modifications...nothing major.

I can give you complete information if desired.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:39 PM
Ford Freak

Last photo:

Well heres the deal, the 351 heads come with bigger intake ports and valves, but not exaust ports. The only 351 heads that have these though are the 69-70 heads. All ot the other ones are just the same as 302 heads. The 351 heads are really hard to find in good shape, trust me, i found some with a small crack and they weren't fun to find. So what i would recommend is that you either find some E7TE heads (5.0L) or port your stock heads. Stock heads can offer a lot performance wise, i've read they can be good for 30hp depending on your setup. If you get the 5 liter heads dont forget to use the right pushrods becuase they are pedestal mount with roller lifters so they will be shorter than the ones you will need.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:51 PM

that's why i'm hanging on to my 69 complete engine, these are the best. deck ht. is shorter though from 68-71.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:41 AM

Last photo:

302 heads

save yourself some bucks and port out your existing heads and put early 351 int and exh valves in it. But unless you are going to be turning well over 6000 rpm a lot, its not worth the exspense of the larger valves. you will do just as well with the stock 1.78/1.48's. Also save your money on the heads as the purchase of the more "superior" breathing later heads wont gain you that much either, and they do flow better out of the box than the early 351 heads. Just redo the ones you have, unless you have a cracked one. Cubic $ = Cubic horsepower, just how fast do you want to go? And is 3-4 hp gain worth $2-3 hundred for the better heads?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.