any good advice for a tig under $1000 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

any good advice for a tig under $1000

I'm digging the Everlast but it has no foot pedal. The everlast sells for $649
Time to take my manhood back and spend my own money how I want. I'm getting a TIG no matter what the wife says...unless she says not to. ;0
v
Best Tig Welders Under $1000! | Tig Welder Reviews!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to tech69 For This Useful Post:
John long (04-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

You can always add a foot pedal at a later date. I'm not sure the model you are looking at but make sure it will accept one. I would most certainly look into a AC/DC tig and not a strait DC machine so you have the capability to do aluminum. You might feel that you don't need it now but you never know down the line and will probably regret it.

The Everlast welders are a good units for the price.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

I like this video. While it isn't a straight DC machine they show how well the Everlast works on AC welding low amps. The performance of their less expensive models should be similar welding light gauge steel. If you search YouTube there are several reviews of different Everlast welders.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:40 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

used ?

All my welders were used at a good discount. I have a lincoln tig 255 that will also stick. came with a water cooler and thumb control. and I always asked the seller to have it plugged in ready to weld when I went to inspect them.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Keep in mind that there is a huge market of cheap tig welders under $1000. But the problem is that most are not quite up to the standards we would expect, so stick to quality welders that are serviced by American, Canadian, or the UK.

Check on used machines as sometimes they come available for a good price.. Also the equipment auctions might be a source as well for you.

Sam
techinspector1 (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,154 Times in 953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
Keep in mind that there is a huge market of cheap tig welders under $1000. But the problem is that most are not quite up to the standards we would expect, so stick to quality welders that are serviced by American, Canadian, or the UK.

Check on used machines as sometimes they come available for a good price.. Also the equipment auctions might be a source as well for you.
Sam
REAL good advice here. Sidestep the offshore crap and buy into a solid, quality welder, even if it's used. Cheezy welders make you want to not use them. Been there, done that.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

I personally wouldn't buy anything at an equipment auction. Unless you can actually use the machine there is a very good chance you are getting someone elses headache. Buying used from a dealer isn't a bad idea but usually you aren't saving much from buying new and better technology.

I like Miller stuff myself but you are going to be paying through the nose for a brand name. Unless you use it all day and every day it probably isn't worth the extra expense.

Not all offshore stuff is junk. Everlast from what I have seen is pretty good. I have followed Welding Tips And Tricks page on YouTube for a long time and he seems to really like their stuff.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:33 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

thanks guys. I think I'm going to order the everlast 140 pee wee welder for $270. Why not? I only plan on welding sheet metal in my garage for my metal shaping hobby. I saw a video on it and it seems perfect for what I need. Just need a regulator and a bottle of argon. Will order tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 AM

Last journal entry: Machining Fuel Rail Stock/Fit Up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
thanks guys. I think I'm going to order the everlast 140 pee wee welder for $270. Why not? I only plan on welding sheet metal in my garage for my metal shaping hobby. I saw a video on it and it seems perfect for what I need. Just need a regulator and a bottle of argon. Will order tomorrow.
Go to weldingweb dot com and join. There are many posts about these things and the customer service is poor and you will not get your replacement of money back when it quits on you. Also these machines are harder to learn on than a linclon or a miller. You might want to look at HTP machines. I got my HTP MIG 240 over 10 years ago. Beat the snot out of it and it performes just as good as a miller or lincoln. HTP TIG machines perform great too.
T.J.
Miller Dynasty 300 DX
HTP MIG 240
Hypertherm 85 Plasma
4' x 8' CNC table-build in progress
Old 04-07-2014, 07:34 AM

I was doing the same thing.... looking for a less expensive TIG machine. I was close to buying an Everlast, but I did not like what people had to say about fixing them. Sure, many are happy with the machine, but if/when it came time for service, it was almost impossible. Big turn off for me.

So, I did some searching and came across a local guy selling a Lincoln 225. Only had 6 hours of use on it - looked brand new - about a 5 year old machine. Got it for $1200. This was only about a month ago.

Do some searching - check craigslist. You may be suprised at what you find.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:43 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I knew you guys were going to say that! Ok, maybe I sell my mig welder first then. Trying to just spend $500 but if I sell my mig for $300 than that's more money in the pot.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:18 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with my Eastwood 200DC tig welder. It was only $499 with a 3 year warranty. It comes with a foot pedal as well. With customer service as great as Eastwood's I think it was worth the shot. I also got a free sheet metal gauge when registering the warranty. Happy customer and if I ever get into the fabrication industry I would consider getting the Eastwood AC/DC model.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:41 AM

Last journal entry: Machining Fuel Rail Stock/Fit Up
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I have to say, I'm pretty happy with my Eastwood 200DC tig welder. It was only $499 with a 3 year warranty. It comes with a foot pedal as well. With customer service as great as Eastwood's I think it was worth the shot. I also got a free sheet metal gauge when registering the warranty. Happy customer and if I ever get into the fabrication industry I would consider getting the Eastwood AC/DC model.
Post some pics of how good it welds.
T.J.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

I have a Lincoln MIG now. Happy with it and prefer the USA made stuff. I am not a professional quality or great welder but I do OK. For really important stuff I use a certified welder down the street.

I've considered looking at picking up a TIG setup but am not sure if it'd be worth it. My question to those in the know - what advantages are there for going TIG and does TIG allow for better welds with same skill level as MIG? I know for sure I'd go AC/DC because the MIG is horrible at doing AL.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:31 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSBBC View Post
Post some pics of how good it welds.
T.J.
well, you'd have to ask an experienced tig welder, in which lots of them say, "it has a pretty good arc". I'll post some pics when I get better at it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.