Hot Rod Forum banner

Any Harley Davidson owners here?

3K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  35WINDOW 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me the polarities of this HD ignition coil? It's not marked. I emailed the seller on Ebay and they said they didn't know, they just sold them. LOL.

This is going on my Citroen 2CV. Highly recommended by the 2CV crowd as a fix for hard hot starts. Something about the HD coil being resin filled versus the Citroen coil being oil filled.

I read you can use the pencil lead test when in doubt but thought I'd ask if someone knows.

See less See more
#11 ·
Thank you very much!

The PO converted my dad's Ford 800 tractor over to a 12 volt negative ground using an AC Delco alternator. I couldn't tell if they changed coils but it ran for years with the polarities reversed will no ill effects but figured the coil polarity is important.

#13 ·
While I'm on the subject, the reason these guys say the resin filled HD coil works better is when the coil get's hot, it produces a weaker spark. So it makes the car harder to start when it's in the 90s and the engine is hot.

Otherwise the car does not misfire or run rough when hot.

The thing is every carburated car I have is hard to start in the summer. I've always chocked this up to modern oxygenated fuels which have a lower boiling point.

My theory is, after the engine is shut off, engine heat rises up through the intake manifold causing the fuel in the fuel bowel to boil off. So the reason I have to crank and crank for 15 seconds is to refill the fuel bowel.

Does this sound logical?

One thing I did to my Yugo was I used the A/C blower fan from what was left of the A/C system to blow outside air directly at the carb. I mounted a 180F fan switch in the intake manifold. When I shut the engine off, the fan will cycle on and off for about 30 seconds every 2 or 3 minutes for about 30 minutes. It seems to help.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Doing more work on my 33 Chevy at the moment than I am on my Harley Road Glide Ultra. The bike runs beautiful and since I installed the "Love Jugs" cooling system on it I never have to worry about it overheating here in the High Desert of Southern California.
The 33 Chevy runs beautiful. But I don't drive it much because the steering is unsafe (my opinion). I need to replace the steering box in it. *********************

20160626_080135_zpsplvfwrhb.jpg Photo by denjones55 | Photobucket

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Working more on my Chevy than on my Harley

It seems there is more work to be done on my 33 Chevy Master than on my Harley these days. The Chevy's steering is unsafe. Way too much play and shimmy. ********************* The Harley runs great. It never overheats in the High Desert of Southern California since I installed the "Love Jugs" cooling fans on it.

Attachments

#17 ·
Finally got my Harley Davidson ignition coil installed on my Citroen 2CV.

I used some conduit clamps to secure it to the light bar. And I had to cut down some coil wires to connect to the spark plugs. Also installed some new plugs.

Got a pleasant surprise. I wa prepared to install a new set of points/condenser on this car. The fan has to be removed and a rubber cover that protects the electronics from water.

Come to find out, it already had an electronic ignition kit on it!

Attachments

#19 ·
My last motorcycle. A 1986 Harley Davidson FXSTC Softail Custom!

I bought this bike in 1986 brand new. I put 50 + thousand miles on this bike. The only time I ever got stranded was my own stupid fault by switching fuel to reserve and trying to make Billings Montana when coming back from Sturgis. I came up a mile and a half short. Fortunately a fellow biker saw me and stopped to help. He ran the last mile and a half to get me fuel. He put a deposit on the gas station can and brought gas back to me. All the while refusing any money I tried to give him. Brotherhood definitely.

Fist pic was the day I picked it up.
Rest are from just before trading it off in 2005. Man what a scooter it was.. I sure miss it. :cool:

Attachments

#20 ·
So we're showing pictures ok , these where mine. Great memories of Miami riding roads next to the coast line, late too early morning rides.

With the flat topology rain storms were easily seen, could drive around them or park under an overpass. Have a smoke break, hand rolled, the rain would stop. Sun back out, the streets dried right up in a short, short and off we'd go.

When I moved to GA, riding became a hassle, and quit riding as much.

Greg

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of my 2000 Heritage sitting on the show room when I thought I'd sell it on consignment about 6 or 7 years ago. Thought I was getting too old to ride at 72 but decided to stop listening to my wife and her friends so I took it home again. Don't ride like I used to but we (the Harley and I) still have some nice days together.

Being a 1999 built 2000 model Heritage it came with all the cam drive problems which were fixed early on. It's been through a couple era configurations and now looks a little different as I've been creeping toward getting the flavor of the old Saturday Evening Post "TEX" cover by Stevan Dohanos in 1951. I was about the age of the boys in the picture and the big Hog really hit a nerve that has never left me. The details of my Hertitage are:

Harley Davidson handlebar mounted Tachometer

Screaming Eagle ignition controller

Hitachi 45 mm HSR Flat Slide carburetor and air cleaner replaces Mikuni 42mm round slide

S&S cam gear drive kit
- S&S Primary crankshaft and secondary cam gears
- S&S 570 gear drive cams
- Timken inner and outer cam shaft bearings

95 cid big bore
- New S&S high-cool cylinders with larger fin area; from 3.75 to 3.88 bore
- Wiseco VT2746 forged with 4.6cc dome
- Compression ratio changes from 9.1 to 9.9

Modified stock heads
- Ported intake and exhaust, seat blended, shaped guide boss, not polished.
- Guide protrusion reduced .225 inch
- Manley 2.00 intake; 1.65 exhaust replaces factory 1.85 intake and 1.57 exhaust. Kept the 5/16 stem as was concerned about cooling the valves with the shortened guides in an air cooled motor.
- Manley Beehive springs and retainers

Screaming Eagle shotgun exhaust.

Jireh Tombstone tail light.

License mount since this picture was taken was lowered below the tail light.

Mud’s stainless steel light visors
-rimmed stainless steel with blue jewel headlight.

-rimmed stainless steel driving, turn and tail lights.

The driving lights were a pain as they are for 4 headlight cars and are a little larger than Harley driving lights. I recurved the stainless around my knee to get the right diameter, yes that hurt some.
- Visored turn lights are castings from J&P.
- The visor for the modern DOT sized tombstone taillight is for the original tombstone so it doesn't fit quite as well as one would hope but it ain't all that bad, it is also from J&P.

The future (like this winter) will be the installation of a period oil filter into the return line from the engine. This will help with the period look and being about a 50 micron filter will at least keep any rocks out of the oil tank without offering flow resistance. Also, to be fitted will be some chrome flex exhaust pipe covers on the upper tubes to add more period flavor.

Now all I have to do is finish the rebuild on my 85 chopper project, that's on my bucket list.

Bogie

Attachments

#23 ·
My wife has always ridden motorcycles. When we met we went hill climbing and she cleaned my clock. I built her a sporty about 1986 and she rode that sporty all the way to Sturgis and back in 1989. in 89 we went to the new Harley pavilion in Rapid City, SD. and saw this bike. it was a prototype, or first build for the all new "Fat Boy" being released for 1990. The wife went over and sat on it and it was like love at first sight.

We went back to Seattle and she set about finding a new Fat Boy. Took a couple of months but finally found one in Spokane and the dealer here in Seattle went and picked it up for her.

We rode together till about 2002 and my ridding time started slipping due to medical problems. We sold her bike about 3 months before I sold mine in 2005.

Here is a couple of photos of her 1990 Harley Davidson "Fat Boy" FXSTFLB or something like that I think. it was a "First Edition" I liked riding it when going on a long cruise as it had a compact windshield and rubber isolated floor boards. Nice wide comfortable handlebars. It rode nice. I never got to ride it much as she would pitch a fit and tell me to ride my own.. ( She has been this way all 42 years plus).

I sold this bike to a guy I used to work with. He had it about a year when it was suddenly stolen right out of the parking lot at work. He wound up with a new FL. Hmm funny how some things happen.

Now that my shoulder is better I been thinking of designing a new low slung trike. I want to use the entire motor trans-axle cradle assembly from something like a Honda Accord or something. Build forward from that make it low and mean.:cool:

Attachments

#24 ·
A surprising number of "used to owns" here. Anyway. Took a shine to this about 1987 and kept it. Been intimate with each and every part and fastener on it at least once. I figure when I get to the point I can't kickstart it I'll probably sell it. I bought an electric starter for it some 25 years ago. It's still in the box.
When you own something 30 years I guess you don't take many pictures of it anymore.
A not good picture of when I was test fitting new dual tanks.

Later when the tanks were sorted out.

Parked between a nice ladie's chopped Triumph and (IIRC) a Knucklehead.

#26 ·
OK, I'll tell you my story-in 1979 I had just purchased a brand new Sportster (called a Roadster), and was visiting a friend when another friend showed up on a brand new Harley Sturgis-for those who aren't familiar with these Bikes, the Sturgis was Harley's first all Black Low Rider (in Harley racing colors-black/orange), and I absolutely fell in love with it (the early ones were a Shovelhead)-
I never forgot that bike, and about 15 Years or so later decided I wanted to find one-well, they came out with another version to celebrate the Sturgis Ralley's 50th Anniversary (with an Evolution engine/5 speed)-they only made 1600 (400 of those went to Canada), so 1200 in the US-
The first one is in Wille G. Davidson's collection, the second one is in the AMA Motorcycle Museum in Ohio, and I was lucky enough to buy #3 (being the first one sold to the public)-it was purchased by a Harley Dealer and left in the crate In Florida until I found it-
I'm sure it's an acquired taste, but I'm still in love, and feel like a kid when I ride it-it will be with me until I'm gone-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.