Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Any harm in installing and torquing rods one at a time?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 AM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudandproud View Post
i have a set of rods i mocked up this way. How could I check them for damage before final assembly?
Usally a sheet of thick glass from a coffee table is dead flat. You can lay the rods on it and check with a feeler guage for any deflection. A machiniist flat surface is much better but not cheap item to buy for a one time check.

They can be bent back but if you have never done it before machine shop usally doesnt charge to much to straighten and resize rods.

Stock cast rods are strong until they snap off. You can bend them but usally they dont bend that easy. But what it does do is flatten your rod bearings on one side since they are the weak link to side loads like that. They are only ment to support straight loads and that is at a rated oil pressure between them and the crank. Do use molly lube on the bearings and watch tp see if its pushed put after tq bolts. Also are you using a bolt stretch guage or tq wrench. Usally with tq wrench you have to repeat the process causing more stress on the bearings.