Any helpful info on GM fair or job hunting in general? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 02:22 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any helpful info on GM fair or job hunting in general?

Hi all.

I've been job hunting on/off for 2 years now without a shred of success. I very rarely get any response from wherever I send my resume (maybe 1 out of 20 if I'm lucky) and then it's someplace that doesn't even pay competitively. I've had several friends/family look over my resume and I've been changing it using their feedback without any results. I have become extremely frustrated and even angry at times when hunting. Right now I am not exactly happy and I'm trying to come across clear and concise.

I am really disliking my current job and the way they've begun treating their employees (they have expanded too quickly and now they have to get their costs down, aka stick it to the workers.) Basically I've been working my butt off for the last 2 years; perfect attendance record, working over when they want, doing as my supervisor calls "excellent" and "outstanding" work. I have also been taking on responsibilities outside my job. What do I get in return? A lousy review that over-emphasizes my habit to chat a bit. Result: I got a lousy 2% raise this year. I had a 2.5 hour meeting with the plant manager to just discuss my pay and responsibilities. It ended with each of us angry at the other party. To put it in perspective I have a BSEET and only make $30,000/yr. So I'm finished with this job. I came VERY close to walking out after that meeting even though I don't have another job lined up.

I really want to get a position in a field that I love: automotive. I've sent my resume out to a couple of places that make tooling for the automotive industry, as well as a couple of robotics places. No response, even when I tell them I have a lot of auto/mechanical background when I send out my resume.

I have also tried different career paths. Found out it is virtually impossible to get started as a mechanic since they only want to pay $10 an hour to change oil/rotate tires and I've been told it is futile to apply anywhere without 2+ years doing btch work. Is it possible to do better right out the gate? I have lifelong experience working on heavy equipment, cars, and trucks. That should count for something right? Everyone seems to not give two you-know-what's about that, even though I'm job hunting in the city.

Now for the meat of the problem:
GM is having an INVITE ONLY job fair in a few weeks. I've applied online for a spot. A couple of days have gone by and I've gotten no response. There is this sinking pit in my stomach (given my past experience) that says there won't be one. I would love to work there, and they need a lot of Electrical Engineering Techs (AAAAAAAAAA!!! THAT'S ME!!!!) and engineers to develop Fuel cells and drivetrains(would be sweet!) I think this would be WIN-WIN for GM and myself. All they have is a web interface to apply for an interview spot, there is no phone or email to actually talk with anyone.

Anyone have any ideas? A contact within GM would be very nice. I am at a loss for ideas to even get a job in the $35,000-$40,000/yr range. Anything to help me out? I'm sure most everyone has been down this road and can give a few pointers.

Thanks for reading all this, I had to vent some.
-78novaman

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Monster.com

It worked for me.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

78novaman

I just let one of my techs go yesterday (long story) so I need a new Automotive Technician. Ohio is not that far from Michigan.

You say you would like to become a Technician??

If you are interested PM me and we can talk.

Steve
Old 04-19-2007, 04:28 PM

Last photo:

Novaman.

I am a retired Engineer and have come down all those roads before, and many more let me tell you. I read your story, and without knowing too much about you, the only thing I can see which would hold you back is your age, if the figure in the top right is correct.

Prospective employers look at this in different ways, some may think 23 is too young to have very much experience, but I think it may be their psycological profiling which is the trouble. A married man with 3/4 kids and a mortgage hanging round his neck is so much easier to control than a 23 year-old. An older man with these responsabilities would not talk back like you did at your review, he would take what was offered and shut up.

So what might you do about these matters?
I would suggest aiming for the types of job that the older man would not really be interested in, jobs which will mean travelling and staying away from home (no family man wants that) I'm thinking in particular of the post of Service Engineer which, in this country comes with many perks like all expenses paid and a Car thrown in.

I imagine at this point you are thinking of Washing Machines or Toasters and such, but I'm talking about very highly skilled Electro-Mechanical Technicians.

The company I worked for in the last 15 years of my working life, Kern AG who are based in Switzerland, manufacture high speed Mailing Machines and sell them to Banks, Building Societies, Inland Revenue, Social Security in fact anyone who needs to send out 6 million + letters per week. The company employ their own Service Engineers who either travel round all their customers, or are based in larger sites. Kern AG is a worldwide organization and they have have a base in your state at Columbus Ohio, go here to find out about them :-
http://www.kern.ch/4361/4362.asp

There are other companies in the same business, Go here to apply online with Bowe Bell & Howell :- http://www.bowebellhowell.com/careers.aspx

Go here to apply online with Pitney Bowes.
http://www.bowebellhowell.com/careers.aspx

All of these companies will have installations in your state, in your area.

It's a collar and tie, clean hands job (the kind that pays best)

Everything which comes through the Mail, comes through their Machines, even the Junk. It is a stable business with a good future, you will receive full training, all tools and equipment supplied.

I would not be chasing a job in the Motor Industry, it's heading for the bottom.

If any of my suggestions interest you then send a PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Whew - I've been busy since I posted so sorry for the delay.

Still no response to any of my 10+ resumes I've sent out in the last 2 weeks.

Thanks for the post Moss. Yes, I'm really 23. Graduated at 21 with my BS in Electrical Engineering Technology. My current job is just a promotion from a tester when I was in school to a technician after I graduated. I've spent a lot of time looking for better work and had just settled on the fact that I may need more experience, kept a stiff upper lip and toughed it out. Now I am just fed up with it all and really want a better position outside this company.

I don't think service tech is my thing, I have a couple of friends who do it and have to drive around a company van in traffic all day. But if it's they type of service tech that doesn't have to put up with the van I think I could handle it

I hate just sending email, it's just too easy to go meh and delete it. If I can just talk to someone other than a receptionist I can likely talk them into an interview, I just don't know how to go about that.

I'm sure my resume is the problem. I've looked at some "professionally" made resumes and I can't even become remotely interested in reading all that garbage let alone trying to write any! A three line mission/objective statement stuffed full of as many adverbs humanly possible AAAAAAAAAAA!! Mine is simple and straight to the point. Is that bad? I am going to try and make a new resume completely opposite of the style I have now aka pile on as much junk I can stomach and see how that works out.

I hate all this nonsense. What happened to the good old days where you could just talk to someone, now you have to have "key words" and who know what the hell else BS in a document to even get screened for an interview.

Ugh, hopefully I can get some time tomorrow to work on this.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

About the GM thing. A buddy of mine graduated from Lawrence tech in Michigan with a degree in engineering he help build one of (if not the) first fully robotic unmanned vehicle using a hydrogen fuel cell and only using GPS to guide. He had to move to Oregon. Couple months ago GM spent about a thousand flying him here and back to Oregon. Didnt get the job I guess, even though they are looking for a huge number of people in the engineering field for advanced fuel research . So he signed up long term in Oregon. Big time bummer for him, but you got to do what you got to do.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.