Any Hotrod Vettes out there??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 06:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Any Hotrod Vettes out there???

Yes its true.... most Vetters dont want anything on their Vette unless its stock stock...or stock...right down to the wash water. And then there are the Vetters that think theirs' is all stock but dont know its all mixed up.
ANYWAYs

I used to be that way.....and after 4 Vettes I got sick of myself..... but I recently bought a mixed up Vette and I dont care.... why? Its my hotrod. 76 with 81 bumpers and a custom engine built to the hilt. NO NO NO the numbers dont match and I could give a crap...you know why??? Because Im putting hooker side pipes on it. And Im going to change those stupid lame !#$!#$! frog eyed POOP-UP head lites. Still thinking about what to do with those corny vent holes. I see the new ZR1 vent lines flow back mid body into the doors. Time to cut things up a little bit.

Well last year in FL I saw a Vette with aligator bumps down the whole car and a 4 foot tail ... painted dark green ..... saw it all that day. Cant top that.... lol

I'd like to look at Any ideas or photos of your works. No alligator stuff tho.

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Make it go fast.....That should be a challenge for that year of Vette. It's a pretty lame (imo) body style from 73 to 80, most anything will be an improvement and unless it's a super nice car, they're not worth that much, have some fun. Once you make it fast you can justify a good looking hood scoop. Dammm the purists, full speed ahead!
Dan
Old 03-14-2008, 08:37 PM

body style

Actually Dan that body style started in 68 and ended in 82... and I really think the 81/82s were fairly nice looking. No Vettes made in 83.... er supposedly... Then came the ugly C4s (IMO)

And I dont think any 30 year old car could even come close to being as fast as the new models no matter what brand you choose. The technology is so advanced today. Men designed those old things...computers design todays cars.

Tho my 69 Vette was fast,,, too much engine for that car. It beat everything I raced ....back when they made real gas. And the girls loved it, I had a new girlfriend every weekend. That was a car of its time and it seemed like every hotrodder wanted to take a shot at a Corvette... no problem finding challengers... just go for a drive.

Now Im old and just want to make some noise lol and the price I paid for this 76... I stole it! But I Gotta put a bumper hitch on it, so I can haul the old lady around. hehehe

Thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 05:41 PM

Hey, I am in the process of rebuilding a 76 corvette and I threw a 78 350 chevy marine engine into it figuring that I would play with it also.
My only piece of advise is that when I bought the car is had hooker header and side pipes on it and I just had to replace them and they are a pain in the .... But I put in the glass packs instead of the reverse flow mufflers and they are nice sounding good gurthy tone with 270 hp but they still don't compare to anything like turbo's or flowmasters.
Then one last piece of advise if you do replace all the headers and side-pipes with hookers use some anti-seize where the side-pipes mount to the headers otherwise in about 10 years when the mufflers need to be replaced you can still seperate them
Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u more grill shell mods.
Last photo:

In the last 30 years, I've bought/sold/owned 86 Corvettes. All were C1's, C2's or C3's. My year preference is 65-67. By far the C3's are the hardest to restore especially 68's-72's. A couple years ago I picked up a 74 that someone had started to restore. It was a great deal so I bought it and built it for my wife to drive everyday. Installed 383 stroker with 700R4 and used the stock 3:36 gear. The best part is I left the car completely stock otherwise...so it looked like your basic all show no go 74 Vette. It ran 12:40's. We had great fun blowing the doors off late model Mustangs.

I have attached picture of what I would call my Corvette Hot Rod. It's has it's original drive train (427-425) but it's built to L-88 specs. I've owned it for 28 years. Back in the day it was an old autocross racer. This is the second Corvette I bought and I purchased it for my 21st birthday. To say the least it's my favorite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 427-425.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	31691  
Old 08-08-2008, 08:31 PM

Last photo:

I guess i can show you my vette before i chop up the body to make way for the new shell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0026.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	31692   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0017_0001.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	31693   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0021.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	31694  
Old 08-09-2008, 05:52 AM
Rust Buster

Last journal entry: birthday surprise
Last photo:

I saw a 70's style vette with a Testarossa style body kit. I will try and find the pic......the car looked good and the lines flowed smooth.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:41 PM

Last journal entry: New photos
Last photo:

A work in progress but this is my vette. Plans are for it to be very hot rodded.

Scott
Old 08-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Here's a picture of my "ugly" C4 for VetteMech. I'm not one who thinks as a general rule that Vettes need any body mods. But to each their own. All of my money has been put into performance enhancing mods, engine, chassis and brakes. It has an all forged, full roller 388 LT1 w/ fully ported factory heads and intake and many more details than I care to list here. But suffice to say it's been massaged thoroughly by me. It's gotten as high as 28 mpg on the highway and is capable of high 11s with drag radials. It's also my daily driver averaging around 10K miles a year.
And BTW, most of the Vette owners I know, do have their cars modified at least to some extent. Personally, I wouldn't do much to a C1 or C2 if I had one, they're just too valuable. But anything newer, hell yeah, they're boring stock, especially the majority of C3s.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Here's a pic of me auto-crossing it.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.