Any ideas on how to deck a hood on a 1953 Chevy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2005, 12:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Any ideas on how to deck a hood on a 1953 Chevy

I took off the hood ornament and have the excess holes to repair. I was going to fill the seam down the hood with weld and fill the holes in the front, but I was told not to because it would warp the hood. ANY SUGGESTIONS on a trim piece to fit the whole length of the hood?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2005, 12:46 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Nothing wrong with welding it. Fill any excessive holes with metal. The easiest method is using a MIG. You could TIG it if you have the skill or ox/acet weld it. But the MIG is my choice for ease of use.

You might get some warping depending on the location but there are several ways to avoid this. First, dont weld from one end to the other. Move around to keep the heat from building up. You can also use a heat damn which is putty like material that holds the heat back. Wet towels will work as well.

Depending on the location of the weld you might not need anything. Areas with seams are less likely to warp. A little sheet metal warpage is normal for any custom like you are doing. You can straigten it back up and fill it easy.

Rich
Old 08-09-2005, 06:47 PM

53 hood

I agree with you for the most part. I was thinking,"boy thats dangerous" that to avoid warpage don`t weld it %100 ,maybe a 1 inch weld every 6 in and a good body filler to smooth it out. Go really slow on the welding. Jerry
Old 08-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Weld the holes up and on the seam I wouls weld a 1 inch weld at one end then go to the other end and do the same. Alternate from end to end making ever weld a few inches apart. Then let cool and start again welding in between the previous welds. Keep on doing this ( stopping from time to time to let cool) untill you have the seam complete. Dress the welds down with a grinder then smooth up with body filler.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:43 PM

Welding a 49 Chevy

Hi JD,
I did my 49 which is very similar. Weld it slow with a mig - alternate. Weld one end, then the other and take a break and work on something else once in awhile. Cool it with rags and or a piece of aluminum on the back acts as a great heat sink. I have done this in shops for years with all kinds of metal. I would also set heat low. You do not need that much penetration on this piece anyway. Mine barely took even a skim, layer of mud. It looks great. By the way, it has over a 100 louvers in it too. A little stress relieving going on there too. Good luck.
Ron
Old 08-09-2005, 11:46 PM

JD,

Cannot believe I forgot to mention this. Think about panel bonding adhesive as a potential option if welding is not in your future. Some may not like this, but many cars being built this way nowadays, and it is one of the hottest things going in repair shops.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.