Any knowledgeable motorcycle peeps on here? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2006, 09:13 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any knowledgeable motorcycle peeps on here?

Hello all.
I just picked up a very nice condition 1979 Kawasaki KZ 1000 off a neighbor for $100.00 bucks!
He hurt his leg at work and its been parked for 2 years in his garage. It ran when he parked it, but now it dont. It has 4 Mikuni carbs on it and I was told they might be gummed up. It has a nice Fairing with a stereo and speakers as well.
I think its a great steal. Anyone got good or bads on this bike? HG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2006, 09:40 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

HEMMI I'm not one of those motorcycle peeps you mentioned,, but I did have a 750 kow,, same thing,, it had been setting for years and was gummed up,, I found out that the fuel pump is vaccuum operated an has a double diafram that gets all gooey and don't work,, You might try letting the pump soak in a strong carb cleaner for a bit,, just don't try to separate the rubber diaframs, cause you will never find another one,, Hell I ain't even sure the 1000 and 750 even have the same type pump,, just my bad experance with a KOW, Good luck with it,, just don't KILL yo self on it,, good buy too, bill
Old 04-19-2006, 09:46 PM

If you don't know what to do---DON"T--you will mess up more than you can fix. Find a site that plays with that bike & get info first.Don't know if these guys can help,but I enjoy visiting them,(ChopperWeb.net )hope this helps.DAVE Sorry tried to post a link but no luck--It does exist --I was just there!

Last edited by kdc49; 04-19-2006 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:15 PM

Last photo:

The kz 1000 was a cool and very fast bike in its day. Some guys still race them in the 1/4 mile. It was a vary reliable motor and you can still get lots of speed parts for that motor. I have seen them punched out to 1360 cc.
They were police bikes for many years.
I am sure if you google it there will be many sites.
Very good price on the bike. Maybe we will see a blower in its future.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Cool bike very fast can kill ya in a heartbeat. Like anything else I would assume it need the carbs clean. its the tunning thats hard. any Kawasaki dealer could help you out.

Craig
Old 04-20-2006, 05:43 AM
Last photo:

I would try and start it first and see if the carbs come online. If they require cleaning the Mikuni carb is simplicity in it's self. The only complicated thing is synchronizing all four when you get them cleaned out.

The KZ1000 is a fast bike in it's day, and is still fast. I had one before I had my Suzuki GS1100. The fault of the KK900 and KZ1000 is the frame. If you push the bike hard and fast enough you will eventually experience the infamous Kawasaki wobble. I hope when it happens you do not go down. But on the positive side it will give you fair warning when it does happen. The Suzuki GS1100 was even more deadly, as the frame was rock solid and did not exhibit any flexing at speed. It would allow you to go as fast as you wanted to until you lost it.

Vince
Old 04-20-2006, 08:01 PM

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

If it's in very nice condition, you might consider taking the whole bike apart and selling it on ebay. If you listed the parts right, you would make $1500 easy.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Its not mint, but its in real nice shape. Id say if I got it running, waxed it and done some touch up here n there, Id get 1000-1500 hundred outta it. Hg
Old 04-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Hey Hemmie, I've owned and worked on several KZ's ( 1974 triple two stroke 500 street bike, mean machine, 1981 550 ). They are really not to hard to work on. They just take a little time and patience, sometimes. I currently still have a 1980 1,OOO Ltd. Kaw. I tore it apart last year and repainted it cleaned out the carbs new gaskets etc. This year today my son and I tore off the front forks cause I have the oil seals leaking. I took it to a cycle repair shop caus I couldn't get the insides to come apart but just tearing them off the bike will save some bucks. Most shops around here don't like working on the old bikes but will sell you parts. If you can't hook it up to a computer they can't work on it. I find the old bikes easier to tear apart, the new ones I don't understand. I do have a couple of books on the KZ's that I picked up at garage sales so if you need info let me know. I have tore apart the Kz's and cleaned out the carbs that have gotten old shellacky (spelling?) gas in them and they fired right up after letting the float bowls fill up. Sometimes I let them sit over night and they are ready to fire the next day. A little starter fluid in the carb may also help light her up for the first time if you have trouble. I had one carb leaking really bad so I took them off (all four together) and gave them to the Kaw dealership. Cost me 120 bucks to have 1 rebuilt and I did most of the work. Ouch! Any ways they are little cold blooded at first so you want to run the ckoke untill she warms up then turn it off. I find them to be fairly quick responsive road bikes and thats not comparing them to the rice rockets as far as quick. Those bikes are just outrageously FFFFFFfffffaaaaaa****sssssstttttttttt!!!! Good luck with her! I give them 2 thumbs up.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Thanks 38.
Ive got a lot of good advice, but it seems clear that gumming up carbs is the biggest concern. Everything else seems pretty decent.
I might take ya up on the books. Maybe you could scan a page or 2 if I have trouble and need to look at one??? Tnx, Hg
Old 04-22-2006, 06:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

That's a great deal! A buddy has 2, one has around 160,000 miles on it, ready for it's first rebuild. And they do have a terrible wobble, my old Kawwy wobbled at about 105 mph. The torque kicks in at about 4500 rpm, make sure you've got a good grip, they will scare you. Keep it and be safe. Dan
Old 04-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Cleverly disguised as grownup

Last journal entry: Hollman & Moody
Last photo:

My neighbor had one and spent 2 1/2 months getting over a severe case of road rash. Head wobble while passing a tractor trailer sent him on a 380 ft slide for life in tee shirt and blue jeans. Thank god for the full face helmet. Evidently skin grafts hurt like a female dog.
MM
Old 04-22-2006, 09:41 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

Wobble passing a semi? I figured all bikes did that. I thought it was just the wind buffeting you around. How about you bikers with other brands. Do you get wobble passing a semi. I'm curious now.
Wobble at 105, Dinger? What the Heck you going that fast for? I guess I lost my nerve at 90. Never had her faster than that. I got to thinking about blowing a tire and being scrambled all over the raod and backed off the throttle. I guess self preservation kicked in before I could see what top speed would have been. No guts, no major crash.
Let me know if you need any info, Hemmie. Be glad to forward info to you.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Good bikes...

I think the reference to fuel pump is actually an accelerator pump. The gas tank and fuel shut off and the old carbs will need to be degunked and possibly the idle jets cleaned out with a tip cleaner for a hot wrench. CK the rubber for major cracks...the one to the head from the carb as well as the one to the air box from the carbs. I ran a 73Z1E with a 1015 kit in it on a raked modified hard tail frame for 19yrs. I had a 73Z1 900 that I bought as a drag bike...wheely bars, and a slick....my wife road that one for 3yrs and sold it to ge a 57 K model sporty.

Tazz

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.