Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Any one ever power washed the sludge out of a running engine???
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 PM
BOOMER SOONER

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any one ever power washed the sludge out of a running engine???

I know, I know...This sound stupid crazy...But has anyone out there ever power washed or steam cleaned the sludge out of a running engine? A guy I work with gave me a running GM TBI 350. He pulled it because it started to loose oil pressure at an idle after a 30 min hwy trip. I got to thinking if this engine had a bunch of sludge in it, and in the pan, then maybe after the engine got good and warm, some of the sludge broke loose and started to clog the screen on the oil pump pick up? I heard this engine run, and it sounded fine. No lifter ticks, no smoke other then a little bit at start up (valve seals maybe), and it had plenty of power. It was in a 94 Z71 4x4. I was thinking...Since it would probably need a complete rebuildm and the damn thing runs now, then why not pull the valve covers, intake, and oil pan, tape the intake ports and exhaust ports real good, and power wash the you know what out of it. Get it back home, blow it out good. Spray it good with WD/40, or diesel fuel, or something to disperse the water. Put it back together with a new oil pump, fresh oil and filter. Fire it up, let it run awhile at operating temp, change the oil a couple times and see what happens? I really dont want to dump any $ in this engine. Worth a try?