Hot Rod Forum banner

any opinion on poly vs. non bc/cc? 96 silverado

917 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  motomonkey 
#1 ·
Hi, how is everyone? I have a 1996 silverado step-side ext. cab with a bed cover. I'm painting it but I went to carquest and for limco they want $320 for the tangier orange I want, and other place wants $525 for a gallon of omni paint clear reducer and hardener. I found some paint on ebay - they have good feed-back and user's rides but I'm hesitant b/c I want a nice paint-job and I just wanted some opinions, i was gonna do hugger orange with gold satin pearl. http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/rsp1805.aspx which paint kit would be best for longevity, ease of application, gloss and scratch resistance? should i just get the limco? it's $200 fit the ebay urethane bc/cc kit and $280 for the polyurethane bc/cc kit. anyone bought from them? thanks

#2 ·
"Longevity", no one here has any tests results from these companies. That is a toss up.

I would go with a name brand that you can go down to the friendly neighborhood paint store and buy staples when you need them.

Brian

#3 ·
Dont expect to get great results with cheap brands, the paintwork is what everybody is going to see and if you skimp that is what you are going to get, reduced gloss retention, less durability/scratch ressistance, and a shorter lifespan. After all the work of prepping something, thats the last thing I would want. I dont know what you are trying to do with the truck but if you want a pearl over the top of orange it looks like you want a custom look, no a cheap proposition by any stretch. I agree with MARTINSR if you get the paint from a local shop you can get support as well as anything that you might need more of right away. Just remember that the truck needs to be all one color before you sart spraying topcoats or you will be able to see a color difference unless you put on alot of coats. A white sealer will make the orange really pop. Another thing is that a truck takes alot of paint just for the inside of the bed.
I dont know if 2 gallons sprayable will get you what you want. :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.