To any Oregonians; titling question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 06:45 PM
Hey, mine's paid for, Punk.

Wiki Edits: 0

To any Oregonians; titling question

I've been researching for weeks, with no real luck. So how exactly do you go about getting a new title for a kit car, hotrod or something of the such, that's been heavily modified both on the body and chassis (in the state of oregon)? also, how would you do this with a motorcycle? I want to build a custom frame using an old bike, can I use the vin plate on the old frame for my new one?

any help or previouse expiriences shared in this matter is much appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2006, 02:16 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

getting a car titled in Oregon,,

I live in oregon,, and have had several cars titled here,, but recently the dmv has started inspecting vehicles that don't have a previous or current Oregon title,, I am not up to date on all the specifics, but I will get you some infromation fron the dmv if you like,
what kind of car are you trying to title? bill
Old 09-02-2006, 09:33 PM

well, I don't have one in mind yet. Maybe doing something to modify a vw chassis to build a mid-engine street legal f1 car, but the only thing left of the chassis may be parts of the pan, which doesn't have vin #s on it. So this is the problem I'm facing.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

In that case,, I would first get a titled car[ VW??] whatever car you plan on modifying, get a current title for it in Oregon, registered and street legal,, before you start cutting it up,, after the title is in your hands, then modify it to your liking , then there is no need for a state inspection and no argument about it being legal, save a whole lot of headaches,,, Bill
Old 09-02-2006, 11:26 PM

makes sense, i'd probably need to do the same with the motorcycle? do they do state inspections to a vehicle regularly? like every-so often years or when it's sold? cuz the bike I'll likely want to sell later.

thanks for the help on this one.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:58 AM

Last photo:

The only inspection is when you bring in a car titled in another state ,and applying for a Oregon title,, or applying to title a constructed vehicle, [which is your case] reason for having the titleing done before the mods,, otherwise you just renew your registration every 2 years, only other inspection is a 2 yr, DEQ, [smog] if the vehicle is NEWER than 1970, when renewing the registration, same with the motorcycle,,,,, if you are planning on selling the bike,, you already have a title,, so why would they want to inspect it again,, just transfer it to the new owners name,, its his problem then if he wants to title it somewhere else,,, stupid question:::::: if you are in Arizona,, why are you concerned with titling a car in Oregon???? moving to Oregon????Maybe?? Good luck Bill

Last edited by Bad Rat; 09-03-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:28 AM

you guessed it, moving to the eugene area...
Old 09-09-2006, 12:32 AM

Last photo:

After looking at your profile ,, I will just say Welcome back,,those are some very nice tunes on your site,,, do you have relatives in Eugene?? Good Luck,, Bill

Last edited by Bad Rat; 09-09-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:00 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:

well i don't know if this will help you or not but my dad about 5 years ago,,, had a 29 model t-bucket that was a slick car, about a $10,000 car..... and he didn't have a title,,, the title for it either, got lost about 30 years ago or something, and couldn't get his hand on anything........... so long story short he went to a ingravement shop and had a 17 digit vin made up to look like a real vin number and used the star headed ribbits like from the factory and applied for a builder title, they inspected the car in ohio and in the same day he had a clear title in his hand... and didnt cost over $75 bucks............ like i said i dont know if this would help for a kit car build but i think that s all a t-bucket is most of the time......... i hope this helps..........good luck

Last edited by tiresmoke55; 09-09-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

another take on this is,, since the early cars did not have VIN #,,[ chev did not start using VIN # untill 1950 ] Oregon is now using the NEW engine # as a means of issuing a title,, We have just finished up a 36 chev that the title had been lost,,[ same owner since new] but since it was reconstructed, they will issue a new title using the engine #, and since all chev smallblocks are basically the same since 1955, they are not required to be inspected for DEQ emissions, Calif also uses this method,
Old 09-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

If you guys get a chance, please add this info to our Wiki. We have an article in-progress for titling information here: Hot to title a hot rod.

This question gets asked very often on the board. My thought is that if we put this information towards a centralized article, we can eventually just refer people to the article.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

JON,,, Will do,, I will get some more infromation, and add it to the site,, Thanks BIll
Old 09-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

Excellent! Thanks. Let me know if you need a hand with the wiki.

There's also a simple guide here, that's only 8 sentences long: 8-sentence guide.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
If you guys get a chance, please add this info to our Wiki. We have an article in-progress for titling information here: Hot to title a hot rod.

This question gets asked very often on the board. My thought is that if we put this information towards a centralized article, we can eventually just refer people to the article.
yeah, I already checked on the wiki before posting, couldn't find anything specific to oregon there.

bill, thanks for the welcome. I graduated UTI in feb this year, then kindof kicked back and enjoyed life for a while, then decided to actually get into the field. I'll be working for lithia motors in eugene, I'm leasing a house on u of o campus with my gf, starting up a professional recording studio and then a small fab shop (I know, "bob's shoes and plants" lol) the tech job is just to keep my income secure... in case I hit those "dry seasons"... all I know is I'll be one busy man...
Old 09-20-2006, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

A few details on titling a streetrod in oregon,,I took this 36 chev to be inspected by the state police today,, this is what transpired,, keep in mind that the owner had missed 2 appointments to get this done,, so the inspectors are not real happy with him,,,,,,,, firstthing he did was ask for some kind of documentation for the car,, Title, bill of sale, etc,, we didn't have any of that , the car had been purchased new in 1936 by his father, and had not been re regerested or retitled since the 60's so after that time there is no record of any title,, anywhere,, so all we have are the recipts for everything we put into the car,, he looked through some of the recipts, went into his computer and filled out a form for a constructed title, for a 36 chev,, to take to the dmv, and they will issue a vin # on a mylor sticker to apply to the door jamb,, no mention of what type of motor, emissions etc,,
done deal,,, he suggested that we stamp the vin# somewhere on the frame, na dif the car is ever stolen,, to discribe where the # is stamped at,,
Not much of a hassle at all.. just have LOTS of recipts,, Much easier process than Calif,, Bill

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.