Any Pontiac Performance Gurus? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 07:40 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any Pontiac Performance Gurus?

Rebuilding a buddy's 350 out of a 71 Lemans. Not being a Pontiac guy, what pitfalls do I look for? I'm pretty well versed in SBC, but the Old Indian Chief needs to be put back together as a result of my buddies builder shutting his shop down. He said, "Take your car, engine and parts, I'm leaving..." (The motor has been back from the machine shop since last fall. Car has been in the shop for 30 months. Nice, huh? )

Where do I find the specs online?
Will 400 heads fit with any problems?
Any head/block prep to match the 400's
Anything to watch for when assembling?
Special block prep in general?
Anything crazy when installing the lifter valley cover?
Rod stretch (ARP fasteners) Spec?

Argggghhhh..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2004, 09:14 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

i dont know dick. there are some guys on this site that do know pontiacs. i dont think the heads will fit but i could be wrong. i know they wont fit a 326. not very many fans of either engine. the primary comment being to find a 389 bore it to 400 or a 400 or 455. not much encouragement. pont. has the very best stock intakes and about the worst heads on some engines. depends. there are alot of sites one is www.classicalpontiac.com another is pontiac street performance. another is www.performanceyears.com
Old 04-15-2004, 04:35 AM

For starters if you use 400 heads you have to be careful of what casting number head you use. The wrong heads can drop compression even farther than what the 350 has now. If you are going to use 400 heads you can expect a compression ratio of around 10.25-10.50:1, alittle to high for pump gas in a Pontiac. The heads to look for are casting #'s 16, 670,12,13,62,48. These are the small chamber heads (around 72 cc's). Also one thing real critical with a 350 Pontiac is cam selection. The best intake to use is a stock iron intake from 68-71 with a q-jet and an HEI distributor is a must. Ditch the stock rod bolts and go with the ARP's as the stock bolts have a tendency to stretch as do the head bolts, replace them with ARP's also. Have the block zero decked and use half groove mains as a Pontiac has alot of downstroke force and will wear a ridge on the crank after a period of time. Also order a BOP rear main seal as these are the best on the market, these can be purchased from Kauffman Racing Products for $35 and won't leak if installed properly. A good 3 angle valve job and alittle port work will also be benificial to helping this little engine perform and use a 4 tube header and a minimum of 2 1/4 inch exhaust to help with bottom end breathing along with good mid range torque. If you have anymore questions you can e-mail me direct.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:04 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Thanks Guys !!
Old 04-15-2004, 10:46 PM

Last photo:

Don't they have a freeze plug hiding in some "undisclosed location" in the back?
Old 04-16-2004, 04:08 AM

Well Jim one of the nice things about a Pontiac is all the blocks (with the exception of the 301) were all designed the same and all the external block dimensions are the same. Also Pontiacs no matter what size have tremendous amounts of torque and you can take a 350 out and drop in a 455 and noone would know the difference but you. As far as a hidden freeze plug there are none I know of. I myself prefer the 71-74 blocks as they have the multipul motor mount locations. Also you don't need alot of cam for a good running street engine and Pontiac had some of the best designed intake ports of any engine made and respond well to minor modifications.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:37 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Well, we got the car "home" (my shop) last night. The heads are 1968 400 heads #62 (if I remember right) heads said something about 72/75 cc on a Scott's paper I have home. Its a zero decked block with CAST pistons. His builder said there are no forged available. Is that right? Anyways, the heads were "skim cut", but couldn't tell me how much. Sounds like an order to Summit for a buret... I just don't want to get it together and find that I need to rip it apart again. I'm not too thrilled. All the casting flash is still there. Supposedly the rings were fit. I'd like to know what end gap we should shoot for, though. The pistons were already assembled, bearings in the rods, pins pressed, rings on,etc. Block is still spray greased. Should be an easy cleaning task, I hope. Pan is a mess. The guy glass beaded it, and never oiled the inside. SO its another trip to the blaster, flushing, etc. Looks like a long weekend trying to tie up loose ends with this as well. Like trying to find new head bolts, finding a crank turning socket, new push rods and minor brackets that are MIA.
Anyways , thanks again for the info! And if you have any other tips, keep em coming.

JEff
Old 04-16-2004, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

Forged pistons are always available. Ross/JE/Wiesco will build them to OEM spec. To many NHRA STockers needing pistons. As far as "Cheap" FM forged pistons, no probly not.

Chris
Old 04-17-2004, 07:06 AM

Well if nitrous is not going to be used the factory cast pistons will hold up. I memeory serves me correctly the ring gaps should be around .016-.021. The heads you have are very good heads but I would recommecnd a thicker head gasket to cut the compression a little as the heads have 72cc cumbustion chamber and it'll smaller than that depending on how much was taken off of them (one cc reduction for every .006 removed on Pontiac heads). If you don't have a windage try I would recommend a baffled oil pan to help keep the oil from splashing up on the crank and look for one from 76 up as they have a five tang rearpan seal that won't leak, the earlier pans don't have a very good design and are prone to leakage. Also as far as head bolts I highly recommend the ARP's as that is what I have on my 400 and haven't had any problems whatsoever, same with the rod bolts as Pontiacs have weak bolts and will stretch under severe use. You may want to contact Kauffamn Racing Equipment at krepower.com and consult with Jeff Kauffamn about a cam to use in this application as myself I would go for either a factory 068 HO cam or something like a Crower 60918. What type of ignition system have you got for the engine? Any thing else Been that I may be of help on feel free to e-mail or pm me. Grusome Goat

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.