Any really creative ideas for Fender support brackets? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM
29ster

Last journal entry: Rear suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any really creative ideas for Fender support brackets?

1929 Roadster Front Fender Braces with Heidts FE:
OK, so my brand new Heidts front end's upper arms are so close to the fender that the urethane bushing squeaks as it rubs the sheetmetal and the arms are critically in the way of the fender braces.
Problem: I need to maybe slightly bulge the fenders and fabricate new braces to support the fenders. Cutting the new stamped steel ones I bought to clear the arms is not the answer for me. I would need to remove 75% of the width or jog the braces forward over the bumper brace holes...
I did see pictures that a very helpful rodder sent me of his 30'31 Ford that he did a nice job on, but those braces are different and the fenders are different and the FE is a TCI (different, more room between the arms and the fenders). As y'all know, this is iimportant since you can see these things especially on your knees looking at all my polished stainless I paid for.
Do any of you have a really great idea for this Fender brace problem? Maybe like 3" inch wide x 1/2" thick X whatever length needed aluminum bar stock on end (plated at the frame for mounting), pushed toward the front a bit or curved around the arms to clear, then tapered as it nears the top of the fender and radius's around, and then drilled up the length to look like lightening holes... I'm considering mounting the headlights off of the side of my 32 shell with welded supports up the inside of the shell and then filing and turning the bulb/lens to restore proper position of the lenses. This would negate the need for the fender braces to align with the factory headlight bar holes and I would eliminate the headlight bar, or...do you like headlight bars? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

fender support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
1929 Roadster Front Fender Braces with Heidts FE:
OK, so my brand new Heidts front end's upper arms are so close to the fender that the urethane bushing squeaks as it rubs the sheetmetal and the arms are critically in the way of the fender braces.
Problem: I need to maybe slightly bulge the fenders and fabricate new braces to support the fenders. Cutting the new stamped steel ones I bought to clear the arms is not the answer for me. I would need to remove 75% of the width or jog the braces forward over the bumper brace holes...
I did see pictures that a very helpful rodder sent me of his 30'31 Ford that he did a nice job on, but those braces are different and the fenders are different and the FE is a TCI (different, more room between the arms and the fenders). As y'all know, this is iimportant since you can see these things especially on your knees looking at all my polished stainless I paid for.
Do any of you have a really great idea for this Fender brace problem? Maybe like 3" inch wide x 1/2" thick X whatever length needed aluminum bar stock on end (plated at the frame for mounting), pushed toward the front a bit or curved around the arms to clear, then tapered as it nears the top of the fender and radius's around, and then drilled up the length to look like lightening holes... I'm considering mounting the headlights off of the side of my 32 shell with welded supports up the inside of the shell and then filing and turning the bulb/lens to restore proper position of the lenses. This would negate the need for the fender braces to align with the factory headlight bar holes and I would eliminate the headlight bar, or...do you like headlight bars? Thanks
Find Ireland Child send him a PM, he might be able to help you as he has a 30-31 model A roadster.

Bob
Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM
29ster

Last photo:

30/31

I believe he did show me his but his braces are different and his front end is a TCI and further from the fenders. There is no way my braces will fit between the arms and the fenders like his. Must be the difference in 28-29's fenders and the 30-31 fenders or the TCI vs Hiedts FE... Thanks for the rsponse
Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

To me the headlite bar is important to help with the support of the fenders on one of those..At this time I would suggest getting out the cardboard and scissors and cutting a pattern to suit yourself and then having the piece made up to fit. it could be powder coated steel if you like..Just an idea..

Sam
Old 02-15-2011, 02:01 PM
29ster

Last photo:

Headlight Bar for a 29 Ford with a 32 shell

Yeah I'm struggling with that too. With the '29 Body the grill sits lower and consequently the HL bar looks higher as it relates to the shell even when using a lowered light bar. I also cannot decide whether to chop the grill 2.5" or run it full length. I already purchased the rad for the 29 chopped and notched the shell so it sits down where it belongs, and it practically hides the splash shield completely.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:03 PM
29ster

Last photo:

Pictures of Headlights mounted to a 1932 Radiator Shell ?

I was talking to a big time builder in Texas that said he mounts headlights on the side of the 32 Shell using brackets/braces inside the shell to support the and mount lights. I assume these brackets go down to the frame and is welded solid? He then files the buckets in order to spin the bulb to make them straight. Anybody got pictures of this method of headlight mounting on a 32 rad shell?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.