Any SKATEBOARDERS here? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 09:41 AM
Skater dude

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any SKATEBOARDERS here?

<What the title says>

Alex

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

I used to,also was deep into BMX,before family. I was much better on the bikes,My son is into skating,but baseball rules his life so he does not have as much time to ride.We let him choose his summer,and baseball always prvails.He will end up with a decent board soon though,as baseball season only runs until June here.
Old 03-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I use a Bell "Vert" boarder helmet when I ride my mountain bike, does that count? Why? It was the only hard shell helmet I could find that would fit my big head . Also It didn't seem like those soft styrofoam bike helmets would protect much in the woods single tracks I ride.

Got an old wooden skateboard in the basement that I saved from the trashman, I'm waiting until the kids get old enough before I spring it on them. Not sure if they will take to it though, the 20" Norco BMX bike I got for my oldest last year seems to be the thing these days. Next will be a 24" mountain bike so he can ride with Dad, this one is looking pretty good so far.

Aluminum frame too!
Old 03-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

?????
4Jaw,
Its got me thinking! What kinda gas mileage you get with that aluminum bike?
It could be time!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

I was the original skate rat. Was hot into boarding when the eurethane wheel was introduced. Remeber the Gremec GT? The first mass produced eurethane open ball bearing skate board. I had an orange one. After that Road Riders came out and then Simms with the first sealed bearing and things really got heated up. Tracker trucks, ACS trucks, Bennet trucks (Jr. high school for me). I had blue Kryptonic wheels with sealed German brand bearings....the best. The boards got wider (still have my Simms skinny board) with Dog Town (I think that was the infamous Tony Alva's brand) Power Flex and Santa Cruz being hot contenders (still have my Power Flex board). Independent trucks were all the rage (still have em) and then Bones little diam. wheels were the best park wheel.
I had memberships to at least 3 skate parks in the SF Bay Area. In fact I had a memebership to the first one before they broke ground as they were selling lifetime memberships at a discount to raise capitol. I used to spend many, many hours dropping into bowls and running snake runs. I even had one of those aluminum Ultra Flex slalom course racing boards. That thing was a trip! You would stand with your feet side by side and just kind of wiggle your hips pushing you feet up and down real fast to shoot around the cones.
I also had a half pipe in my back yard as did two other neighbor kids. We would all be skating in each others yards.
I would say from the age of 10-15 I just plain lived on my board. We would skate under over passes, in drained pools and in giant storm drain pipes....man those were good times!
When I got my license it all slipped away....bought my 57 Chevy at age 16 and forgot about skating. I can still do a double 360 at age 41 but I think the hand plants are out!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

We built a quarter in my buds back yard.10.5 foot tall.There were a few guys with boards who would come ride it,mostly us guys on bikes though.It was still impressive watching them on the boards.They could hang with us on the ramp,but in the woods the wheels gave them some fits.
Now,if they only had this when I rode it would have been sweet.Extreme Park I have taken my son out there to goof off and we took a buddies bike out there one day.He still rides,I was lucky to have pulled a few things off.Came out of the bowl,one nice twist trying for a 360,got about 90*,brought it down with a sore waist and a tired knee.Watched from there on out.

Last edited by RCastle; 03-28-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:33 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

I had a plastic banana skateboard when I was ten. never rode another. I did see the trailer for Lords of Dogtown last night. That should be a cool show. That will go right back to your day elevenpointsixtoone
Old 03-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Skater dude

Last photo:

I've been skating for a little over 2 years now. This is my skateboard (atached) I got a blank deck, jessup griptape, trucks and wheels off of my old skateboard from sports authority and bearings that i took off of these oldschool roller skates a few days ago. They seemed to spin faster than my old ones, but a few ollies off of a 2' ledge and ones wobling like crazy and others look like they took some hits too. I'll probably put my old ones back on.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Ride.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	4423  
Old 03-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
?????
4Jaw,
Its got me thinking! What kinda gas mileage you get with that aluminum bike?
It could be time!
I bought a mountain bike last summer and can't believe how much I enjoy it, I originally bought it just to commute to work a couple times a week to save a few bones in gas but it has turned into a genuine obsession. Just one of those things that you forget about when you get old enough to drive and suddenly rediscover when you get older/wiser.

I've lost 44 pounds in 8 months and feel better than I have in a long time, the bike I bought was pretty low end but I've ridden it all winter long with only a bottom bracket, Specialized seat, PC-68 chain and LX derailleur/cassette upgrade. Studded tires made the ride safe and even -45 C weather was doable with the right clothes layering and face mask. I now try to ride at least 100km/week just to progress in strength and ability, this weekend I did over 100km just because I had the time. What can I say, it makes me feel like a kid again especially when I beat the cars and keep up with traffic if I time the lights just right.

Here is a pic of my wheels;

As for mileage, I figure I get about 50km per granola bar/500ml of water. Of course your mileage will vary depending on fat layering on your butt. Here is my next bike, selling all the rest of my rodding stuff to pay for it too...yep thats how much I enjoy it.

Sweeeeet! A dedicated roadie is next, maybe this one...

Last edited by 4 Jaw Chuck; 03-28-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Hey Chuck I'm thinking about buying a Norco One25....too bad good bikes will cost you in excess of 1.5k. There goes my air-compressor AND project car right there

Mike
Old 03-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Im not much into skateboarding myself because when I tried it I would always hit cement. But I am big in wakeboarding and surfing! At least in wakeboarding when I fall I hit water!
Its really fun when you go wakeboarding on a surfboard, I get the wierdest looks because people around here think surfing is something you have to do in the ocean. But it seems to work just fine for me behind a boat!

Brad
Old 03-29-2005, 07:28 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
Hey Chuck I'm thinking about buying a Norco One25....too bad good bikes will cost you in excess of 1.5k. There goes my air-compressor AND project car right there

Thats a sweet dirt jumper Nightfire, I'm afraid these old bones couldn't handle that kind of abuse though. I'll leave the tricks for the young uns. I hear ya on the pricing, I figure the Gary Fisher Cake I'm lookin at will set me back about $4500...or more!

Ouch.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakBordr7387
Im not much into skateboarding myself because when I tried it I would always hit cement. But I am big in wakeboarding and surfing! At least in wakeboarding when I fall I hit water!
Its really fun when you go wakeboarding on a surfboard, I get the wierdest looks because people around here think surfing is something you have to do in the ocean. But it seems to work just fine for me behind a boat!

Brad
Another surfer! Brad I had no idea! I'm not into wakeboarding as I am a bit of a purist, I want open ocean swells and a nice light offshore wind. It's one of the reasons I moved to Cape Town from the UK. South Africa has the best and most consistent surf of anywhere I've been.

I've surfed throughout Europe because thats where I grew up 50 % of the time (Winter only sport there... brrrr 5mm wetsuit, boots, gloves and a hoodie), also in and around San Diego, CA (where I grew up the other 50% of the time), Hawaii (Maui and Oahu) for six months, Canary Islands (just off Southern Morocco), Morocco, and Japan.

Hawaii is great for the surf culture, water temperature and overall vibe, but it sucks for crowds and localism. South Africa is amazing, I'd say there's a waist to shoulder high (often bigger) wave somewhere on the Cape peninsula on any given day. It's just a case of knowing the spots. Jeffreys Bay is a six hour drive from Cape Town and is the best wave you will find on this earth apart from maybe Pipe, it does get crowded and the locals are not too nice, but it beats any of the main breaks on Oahu's North Shore in terms of friendliness and accessibility. Even J-Bay can get flat though, which is why I like the Cape peninsula, the wind is always offshore somewhere within a 30 min drive (we have both an Atlantic and Indian Ocean coastline), and it's super consistent all year round.

If you ever want to come to S.A. for a surf trip, let me know, you've got somewhere to stay.

Rich
Old 03-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlackey
Another surfer! Brad I had no idea! I'm not into wakeboarding as I am a bit of a purist, I want open ocean swells and a nice light offshore wind. It's one of the reasons I moved to Cape Town from the UK. South Africa has the best and most consistent surf of anywhere I've been.

I've surfed throughout Europe because thats where I grew up 50 % of the time (Winter only sport there... brrrr 5mm wetsuit, boots, gloves and a hoodie), also in and around San Diego, CA (where I grew up the other 50% of the time), Hawaii (Maui and Oahu) for six months, Canary Islands (just off Southern Morocco), Morocco, and Japan.

Hawaii is great for the surf culture, water temperature and overall vibe, but it sucks for crowds and localism. South Africa is amazing, I'd say there's a waist to shoulder high (often bigger) wave somewhere on the Cape peninsula on any given day. It's just a case of knowing the spots. Jeffreys Bay is a six hour drive from Cape Town and is the best wave you will find on this earth apart from maybe Pipe, it does get crowded and the locals are not too nice, but it beats any of the main breaks on Oahu's North Shore in terms of friendliness and accessibility. Even J-Bay can get flat though, which is why I like the Cape peninsula, the wind is always offshore somewhere within a 30 min drive (we have both an Atlantic and Indian Ocean coastline), and it's super consistent all year round.

If you ever want to come to S.A. for a surf trip, let me know, you've got somewhere to stay.

Rich
Sweet dude! The only ocean Ive ever really surfed was on the Texas coast and the waves only get about 4-5 feet at the most. I would love to travel somewhere else and surf on some better waves. I have one of those old wooden boards, that I found in a antique shop in Galveston,Tx. I sanded painted and refinished it into a nice board, kind of like a hotrod surfboard!
Good to know theres another surfer on the board!

Brad
Old 04-01-2005, 03:20 PM
Beats pickin' cotton

Last photo:

I still have my Alva board, a 8.5 not a 10.0 like I wanted. I have three sets of wheels, yo,yo's, sims snakes, and I can't remember the third set. I'm not sure what trucks it has on it. I use to skate pools and parks.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.