Any Suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Mike

Wiki Edits: 0

Any Suggestions

I have a 16 year old daughter who wants to build a 74 Duster into a race care. She bought it for 400.00 and we got a 400CID Mopar for free. I just picked up a ford 9 inch for 50.00 so she wont have to worry about braking the rear end. This build is on her dime. How do I get her to want to spend some time with me finding parts for it. Anyone have a thought on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

I am in the process of building a Mustang for my daughter along with her husband. Since she was young she helped me with my cars and I always taught her if she wants something I will help but she has to work if she expects to get it.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 PM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:

Kids love pick-n-pulls.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

a comment:
I do like mopars but they are not a "inexpensive" build compared to Mustangs and Camero's which have alot more aftermarket parts support....a mopar ends up at honestly darn close to about twice the cost!

to get her "juices flowing" here's a link to almost every major car magazine...

click on a catagory (performance/circle track/etc) then each magazine for how to's and tech and rides etc....

http://www.simautomotive.com/
Old 08-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Mike.
As your daughter was growing-up did you two do things together? like going to baseball games, fishing, doing simple repairs around the house & your car? do you talk with her in general about how things are going in her life? and just what she plans on doing with the car, what mods to the engine? what kind of times is she looking to run, what class, & so-forth, You have to communicate one on one with her, ask her straight out if she wants to do this with your help or on her own. Are you going to install the rear together? have you talked about the rear? gearing, brakes, traction enhancers, moving the battery, & wiring, keep a dialog going with her.
Don't forget she's at an age where a lot of other things are getting her attention also. So in short, just love her & be understanding, I'm sure things will work out for both of you.
Take care,
Rich
Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Mike

Thanks for the help

Thanks to all for the help. I will keep working with her and she will have fun doing the project.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:55 AM
3rdmember

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65COMETMIKE
I have a 16 year old daughter who wants to build a 74 Duster into a race care. She bought it for 400.00 and we got a 400CID Mopar for free. I just picked up a ford 9 inch for 50.00 so she wont have to worry about braking the rear end. This build is on her dime. How do I get her to want to spend some time with me finding parts for it. Anyone have a thought on this one.

9" ford WILL break, btw....
if you've got an 8 3/4" mopar rear in it, it's a good rear...
but if not, the 9" is a good starting point.

pick up a year one catalog or summit and "spring" for some superstock springs (get it?), they're pretty cheap and if you've got 6cyl torsion bars, leave 'em in.
as far as getting her to spend time scrounging, tell her if she wants it, she's gonna have to work for it.
don't do all the work for her...
Old 08-12-2008, 06:55 AM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

If you are only worried about her helping find the parts for the build you may be getting too greedy. I would be happy just having a child interested in the build and driving to any degree. Get the parts yourself and then get her to help clean them up and install them. Where they came from is not as important as her understanding how they work and are safely installed. Just my $0.02.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

All of the above advice is good. Also, it sounds like maybe your daughter is really saying "You do all the work, daddy, and I'll have all the fun." That's not a real good scenario. She needs to be made to know that life works best when we work together; and that there's much more satisfaction from being involved in the project than having it handed to you.

Also, her being involved will make her more knowledgeable about the parts that actually are involved in the car....that way she'll be more aware of problems, and how to repair them. If she's gonna have a race car, she needs to know what makes it tick and how to fix it.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.