any tips for better 18-WHEELER mileage? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 10:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

any tips for better 18-WHEELER mileage?

a friend has an 18-wheeler. is there any tips or websites where i can go to,to find out about this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2006, 01:43 AM

Last photo:

LPG (propane) fumigation (spelling ) is meant to do amazing things for economy. Google will bring up heaps.

Also if he has a choice between hauling bricks and potato chips - Tell him to choose the chips.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:25 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

There are a few thing that can be done to help mileage,hauling potato chips isn't one of them as the shipper would still find a way to get enough on your truck to bring you up to maximum weight.

If he's running flatdeck trailers,by properly tarping your load you can gain up to a half mile per gallon(doesn't sound like much til you figure it out to about 12,000 miles per month).
And if he's pulling a van,a windbreaker bubble on the top front will gain that much or more.

Another sad truth that the truckers are going to have to start dealing with as fuel prices rise even more,is the fact that most of us are paid by loaded mile,so running empty is going to be out of the question one day.
If you deliver a load to,say,Seattle,you wont be running to Los Angeles empty to pick up your next load,you will have to sit in Seattle til your dispatcher finds you a load out of there.

Most of the newer engines are most efficient at 1400 to 1600 rpm,so keeping your truck in the right gear helps a lot.

Tire pressure is also important,as well as a safety issue,a good trucker will check tire pressure every day with a good tire guage,it only takes 5 minutes or so.

Gearing is everything in a truck,I've seen guys take trucks that were built to pull super B trailers,and then pull tandem axle trailers with them and wonder why they get 2 miles less per gallon than me,the truck is geared too low as well as heavier due to the bigger rear ends and heavier drive train and crossmembers.

Also running the heaviest grade of fuel that you can,I've found running winter fuel up here in canada loses at least a full mile per gallon.
When you do an oil change,mix the used oil with diesel and pour it into your fuel tank,myself as well as all the major trucking companies have been doing it for many years,motor oil contains a lot of energy,and any contaminants will be filtered out as the new filters are very efficient.

These are the few thing that I know of.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:44 AM

18 wheeler

Try running the speed limit.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

remove 14 wheels.

Just kiddding.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:33 AM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

What does he/she haul
where to
Engine
Rear end gears
9 spd,10spd 13,18
super ten
1. dont idle truck when not driving
2.bio-diesel
Old 05-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossy

Also if he has a choice between hauling bricks and potato chips - Tell him to choose the chips.

Only haul loads down hill...... Haul parakeets and hire someone to keep banging on their cages to keep them all flying..... LOL

Seriously, besides driving easier, aerodynamics are the only thing that works well. But that is not cheap either. It will take a lot of time and money to save 1 to 1 1/2 miles per gallon.

Best thing I can say, seriously, is to trade for a more efficient tractor and stay out of the hills.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

It is against federal law to introduce any unapproved substance and use it as fuel for a licensed vehicle.

Aerodynamics do not play a part until over about 53MPH. Every 5MPH over that cost about 2/10MPG. Every foot between the cab fairing and trailer, talking van here, cost 1/10th MPG.

Super singles have less rolling Resistance and are much lighter than tandems.

I got 10.1 MPG with a Int. Cab over pulling a 53ft Van with 8000lb in the box. 55MPH.

Last edited by Tominator; 05-29-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:02 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Two points....

A load of potato chips on a 53' will cube out before hitting any serious weight.

Operate at the speed limit (many large fleets are governed between 55 and 62 MPH) and don't idle excessively (hard to do when you live in the thing).
Old 05-29-2006, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominator

It is against federal law to introduce any unapproved substance and use it as fuel for a licensed vehicle.

snip

Propane - an approved fuel in Yankyland ?
Old 05-29-2006, 08:21 AM
That 6 Cylinder Guy

Last photo:

Quote:

Aerodynamics do not play a part until over about 53MPH. Every 5MPH over that cost about 2/10MPG. Every foot between the cab fairing and trailer, talking van here, cost 1/10th MPG.

Super singles have less rolling Resistance and are much lighter than tandems.

I got 10.1 MPG with a Int. Cab over pulling a 53ft Van with 8000lb in the box. 55MPH.
Motor oil is an approved fuel,the new cats with extended oil change technology change oil while running and burn the old stuff in the fuel a little at a time.
Aerodynamics help at any speed,try walking into a ten mile per hour wind with a sheet of plywood flat into the wind,now turn it on edge and it will be much easier to walk.
If by super singles you mean the single tires as opposed to the duals,they are not allowed in many states and provinces,theyre very expensive and you can't haul as much weight on them,so you would expect better mileage with less weight.
A 53 foot van with 8000 lbs in it is almost empty,I would certainly expect ten mpg.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

55MPH.

Really? NO KIDDING???

Have YOU ever driven an 80,000 truck at 55 mph with a 40 mph TAILWIND?
Old 05-29-2006, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

Since the federal requirement for EGR valves in Class 8 I've been out of the loop...

I thought we were talking Class 8 trucks?

Super Singles are about 700lbs lighter than the equivalent duals. I see LOTS of trucks with them, mostly tankers and flatbeds and they are indeed rated to the same load ratings as dual wheel/tire combos. An extra 700lbs of payload will pay for them in their life easily. Tankers and flat beds benefit the most so they are switching first.

As they become more popular they get cheaper and cheaper and many truck stops have them for replacement on hand.

The two largest truck load carriers and all the LTL carriers recycle their oil and I know of no Class 8 truck motor where the manufacturer recommends burning used motor oil.

I spent quite a bit of my OOR career testing various configurations of fairings in the 'real world' on trailers and cabs and it is a well known fact that until 53MPH aerodynamics do not influence MPG in any great way, that is, measurable. Sure going into or against the wind will have a significant effect, but my statement still remains.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

I spent quite a bit of my OOR career testing various configurations of fairings in the 'real world' on trailers and cabs and it is a well known fact that until 53MPH aerodynamics do not influence MPG in any great way, that is, measurable. Sure going into or against the wind will have a significant effect, but my statement still remains.

If I understand you correctly, you feel that

"going into or against the wind has a significant effect"

but that a 40 mph tailwind at 55 mph will NOT increase the fuel mileage almost 40% compared to a no-wind condition.

OK.......

Last edited by xntrik; 05-29-2006 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:11 PM
400SBC4Life

Last photo:

guys.../gals

He still did not give us the truck,engine trailer ,gears
all that plays a part in fuel consumption
I run a m-11(Cummings)-Not for hills
governors cut pulling power .(govern at 70 more power ) ...period
with 10 spd
governed at 63 pedal-66 cruise
4.11 out back
max fuel 5.5 mpg
I pull hardwood lumber
close to 80,000 as possible
the truck see's a hill
and falls flat on its face.
a bigger Cummings
or 425 cat engine or
Detroit would help get truck past 6.0 mpg
A guy with glasses and a pocket protector
in an office somewhere does the numbers for combos
this truck would do well (6 plus mpg)
down south on flat ground
running 70 plus miles per hour
thanks,
jay
super ten trannys
work well ,if driver doesnt tear it out
trying to learn to shift it

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.