Hot Rod Forum banner

Any tips on cutting through a bushing/Rear Leaf Shackle?

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  skip99 
#1 ·
I'm putting new leaf springs and a rear end in my 1980 Trans Am. All the bolts under it have been seized up and I've had to break or cut all of them. Now I'm trying to cut out the rear leaf spring shackles. I managed to cut the lower bolts on both sides so I got the leafs to drop out, but the top bolt is still holding the shackles in. I had to cut through the old bushings to get to the bolt and cut it, and that was a huge pain.

I used a sawzall with a bi metal blade. It took probably a half hour per side. Now these upper ones will be even harder as they are really close to the trunk pan. So I've got a tiny space to cut them out. Breaking them with a breaker bar is probably out of the question, as one of the nuts is weathered down and I can't get a wrench on it.

So any tips to make cutting through a bushing and bolt in a tight space easier? I've gotta get these shackles out because they are worn out bad.

#2 ·
Is there enough space to fit an angle grinder or the end of a Dremel in at an angle where you can cut the bolt.? If you can't cut through the bolt itself, you may be able to grind the bolt head off or cut through the nut.

If you can see the bottom side of the nut, use the grinder to cut through it up to the threads and it should break loose from the bolt. Just make sure you use good goggles (that seal around your eyes) when you do this because you are going to be under the car looking up at the bolt, and small metal chips go everywhere.

For a badly worn bolt head/nut I've also had good luck with clamping vice grips around each end. Then slip a section of metal plumbing pipe (like from Lowe's) around the vice grips handle to give you more leverage. If you can get the vice grips to clamp securely, you can get a lot of leverage this way. One vice grips usually hits the car as it rotates (so it holds it) and you just apply the torque to the other one using the pipe extension.

Bruce

#4 ·
backhoe time

A friend was using a trans am for his donor drive train for his 39 chevy, After he was fighting the rear suspension for half an hour I checked how he was doing. I had dropped the front clip. I just fired up the backhoe, turned it upside down The body was going the the recycle yard. and we took a BFH and made access to use the impact wrench. NOt the way you want to do yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.