Any tips for priming a Mallory electric fuel pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 08:35 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any tips for priming a Mallory electric fuel pump

I'm having problems getting my Mallory electric pump to prime. The fuel tank is sumped and it's not possible to get the pump lower than the sump. It's within an inch of it tho. I got the tank from my buddy who went with a fuel cell. We had the same problem with it last year but put an air hose in it and pressurized the tank to get it started. Think my car has a vent hose in the fuel fill that I can't get to without some major work that's not allowing it to pressurize. Anyone have a simple fix for this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sept. pics 008.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	793.3 KB
ID:	58186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sept. pics 009.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	568.8 KB
ID:	58187  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 PM

If the level in the tanks is higher than fuel pump it should not have a problem or need to be primed,is the tank full?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 AM

Last photo:

The pump is about an inch higher than the tank sump. I've lowered the rear of the car and have about 5 gallons of gas in the tank. It should be higher than the pump level now. Just has air still in the pump, 110 octane is about $8.50 a gallon around here. Don't want to have to buy 15 gallons and have it sit around all Winter. Going to go back down and see if I can find the vent and plug it afterwhile.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 AM

Last journal entry: Some More Roll Cage Fabrication
Last photo:

Crack the line at the pump; fuel should dribble out and the air should escape. Also, check your hoses real close; the pump will draw air through a poor connection before it draws fuel. Lastly, you DO need a vent. Just curious is the tank foam filled? Good Luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

That sounds like a genuine pain in the you-know-where.
All I can think of is possibly a frame mounted filter/reservoir with some kind of check-valve so that fuel cannot run back to the tank.

The filter (Have a look at a Fram HPG1) would also serve to protect the pump.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Zorro
I'm having problems getting my Mallory electric pump to prime. The fuel tank is sumped and it's not possible to get the pump lower than the sump. It's within an inch of it tho. I got the tank from my buddy who went with a fuel cell. We had the same problem with it last year but put an air hose in it and pressurized the tank to get it started. Think my car has a vent hose in the fuel fill that I can't get to without some major work that's not allowing it to pressurize. Anyone have a simple fix for this problem?
I had the same situation on my sumped Maverick tank and a Barry Grant pump. After much $$$ and frustration, I switched to a Holley "black" pump and never had a problem again...

Russ
Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 AM

Is there a return line that you can blow through,or remove the suction line from the fuel pump and pull a vacuum on it with a mighty vac or something or just blowing into the tank.I would take a vacuum gauge and hook it up to the suction side of the pump and test the pump.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Ok Houston we have fuel. My Buddy that I got the tank from came by and we disconnected the fuel line from the tank. Held the line higher than the fuel pump and poured fuel into it till it got it's prime.
Yeah, 66GMC that's the filter I have. Old Mallory 140 pump and 1/2" fuel line from the filter to press. regulator. Have 5/8 steel braided from tank sump to pump.
Think the carb is about a 950 cfm, I bought most of the parts from my buddy when he upgraded his car this spring. He ran 6.30's naturally aspirated and 5.90's with a shot of nitrous last year.
Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sept. pics 057.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	517.3 KB
ID:	58201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sept. pics 058.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	58202  
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Zorro
Ok Houston we have fuel. My Buddy that I got the tank from came by and we disconnected the fuel line from the tank. Held the line higher than the fuel pump and poured fuel into it till it got it's prime.
Yeah, 66GMC that's the filter I have. Old Mallory 140 pump and 1/2" fuel line from the filter to press. regulator. Have 5/8 steel braided from tank sump to pump.
Think the carb is about a 950 cfm, I bought most of the parts from my buddy when he upgraded his car this spring. He ran 6.30's naturally aspirated and 5.90's with a shot of nitrous last year.
Thanks for the help.
Hope it stays... Mine was a long-term issue that required constant worry, to the point of losing prime even while driving. Kind of embarrassing / dangerous to be on a busy four-lane and have the engine shut down, got tired of that real quick!

Russ

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.