anybody chop a top with curved glass? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
the glass guy who use to do mine used a water belt. keeps the glass cool. he used 3 different belts but they came out nice and fit right.
Pardon my stupidity, but what's a water belt? Is that some kinda sander with a continuous flow of water?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets cut it up
Thanks for the complement. I had to sell it to pay bills...I do regret it but I can always build another. I am about to chop a 57 4-dr hardtop soon but I wont be sinking it this time I want it to look like it came out of a 50's custom shop. Any way back to figuring out glass cutting.LOL Tim
Cool! Post progress pix, I wanna SEEEEEEEEEEE!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:12 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

it's an upright belt sander with a small trough of water the belt passes through. basically wet sanding off the extra. beats spending 2 days breaking windshields.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:05 PM

65 f100 chop

I have a 65 f100 swb that I am planning to chop 4". The chopping and welding are not a problem . My concern comes from eliminating the vent windows in addition to the chop. When I look down into the door it looks as if the hinge mounts are going to interfere with the solid glass going down.Any help with this would be appreciated.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Alberta Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Well first off, the back glass is tempered and can not be cut. So you would likely "sink" the glass into the package tray so it doesn't need to be cut. The side glass on that car I believe is all flat, and safety plate so you can just cut all new windows using templates given to the glass man.

The windshield is the biggie, can it be cut, sure. But it takes a VERY experianced glass man to do it. And expect a new window or two to be broken in the process (with no guarantee, so you pay).

It too can be "sunk", but honestly I don't like that option (front or rear). I would do anything before that. Cutting the glass is just one of the many things that sets the customizer appart from the "Craftsmen".

If you do cut it, you want to cut the glass before you get the top chop finished so you can modify the roof to fit the glass! This is one big mistake most make (I did myself on my first curved glass chop) you can't modify the shape of the glass, and cutting a section off not only changes it's height, it changes it's shape. So instead of chopping the top and then trying to fit the glass to the top, you cut the glass and make the top fit the glass.

I ended up making a fiberglass windshield using a windshield as a mould. I then cut the fiberglass windshield down to fit my chopped top. The fiberglass windshield was then used to modify the roof. The fiberglass windshield was then used as a pattern to cut the glass and wham, it all fit back together!

Brian

That's very wise thinking,and good advice,seen many fail.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: New photos
Last photo:

Here is a good method for chopping curved glass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl5nm48pYFc
Old 08-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoodard23
Here is a good method for chopping curved glass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl5nm48pYFc

Good idea....Thanks..
Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
That is a WILD video, holy crap that guy is good. Don't plan on doing that a home without breaking a few! I have never seen anything like that, it sure as hell gives you hope!

Brian
Old 08-08-2009, 08:24 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

thats a great vidio.Thanks for sharing it..I'll be helping a new guy chop his top for his first time,I hope you guys will join in,its tough enough doing it yourself and making it look right.but on the computer?????
Old 08-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

When I stop to think how this hobby has changed since the net my head hurts!

When I chopped my truck in 1974 I went to talk to a neighbor who built rods. He wasn't a top chopping kinda guy so he didn't offer me much. He called a friend of his who was chopping a truck like mine and asked him if I could come by. My mom drove me (!, I had JUST turned 16) to a town a little ways away (too far to let me drive even though I did have a license) and he showed me this truck that was half chopped. He opened the Rod and Custom mag with the article on chopping the Dream Truck and we talked about it for fifteen or twenty minutes. That was it, that is all I had.

Now, hell, one could google a hundred articles or threads on the subject in minutes. One could now find videos on doing it and not even have to wait for them to come in the mail! And I thought THAT was wild, being able to get a video on doing this stuff at a car show or something, THAT was a big deal in the eighties. Now, LESS than a minute after sitting at the computer yesterday I was watching a how to video on playing a song I am learning on my guitar! In LESS than a minute I am sitting there watching this great how to video!

Another thing that fascinates me about this web thing (), it's how people with like interests can get together with one an other. When I was a kid I had met a FEW people into Nailhead Buicks. A FEW, just a few, that was it. Now, in minutes I can find people all over the world who are building Buicks. I have bought and sold parts in minutes that would have taken me a lifetime to find!

Wild, just wild.

Brian
Old 08-08-2009, 09:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
When I stop to think how this hobby has changed since the net my head hurts!

When I chopped my truck in 1974 I went to talk to a neighbor who built rods. He wasn't a top chopping kinda guy so he didn't offer me much. He called a friend of his who was chopping a truck like mine and asked him if I could come by. My mom drove me (!, I had JUST turned 16) to a town a little ways away (too far to let me drive even though I did have a license) and he showed me this truck that was half chopped. He opened the Rod and Custom mag with the article on chopping the Dream Truck and we talked about it for fifteen or twenty minutes. That was it, that is all I had.

Now, hell, one could google a hundred articles or threads on the subject in minutes. One could now find videos on doing it and not even have to wait for them to come in the mail! And I thought THAT was wild, being able to get a video on doing this stuff at a car show or something, THAT was a big deal in the eighties. Now, LESS than a minute after sitting at the computer yesterday I was watching a how to video on playing a song I am learning on my guitar! In LESS than a minute I am sitting there watching this great how to video!

Another thing that fascinates me about this web thing (), it's how people with like interests can get together with one an other. When I was a kid I had met a FEW people into Nailhead Buicks. A FEW, just a few, that was it. Now, in minutes I can find people all over the world who are building Buicks. I have bought and sold parts in minutes that would have taken me a lifetime to find!

Wild, just wild.

Brian
Your one of the guys I was refering to Brian,your computer writing skills are very ez to understand but hard for someone like me to get right..BTW I'm finishing up a 1960 buick ,just painted the roof,white pearl,the bodies going orig red...I agree about this computer stuff it's simply amazing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5759 (Small).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	39848  
Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the kind words, and that Buick....ahhhhhh, one of my favorites.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.