anybody chop a top with curved glass? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

anybody chop a top with curved glass?

Im trying to decide if i should try to chop my 59 galaxie. i have never chopped a top before and i know it is a complex chop seeing how it has curved glass. i figure u gotta start somewhere though. anybody ever do one or have any suggestions on this? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Well first off, the back glass is tempered and can not be cut. So you would likely "sink" the glass into the package tray so it doesn't need to be cut. The side glass on that car I believe is all flat, and safety plate so you can just cut all new windows using templates given to the glass man.

The windshield is the biggie, can it be cut, sure. But it takes a VERY experianced glass man to do it. And expect a new window or two to be broken in the process (with no guarantee, so you pay).

It too can be "sunk", but honestly I don't like that option (front or rear). I would do anything before that. Cutting the glass is just one of the many things that sets the customizer appart from the "Craftsmen".

If you do cut it, you want to cut the glass before you get the top chop finished so you can modify the roof to fit the glass! This is one big mistake most make (I did myself on my first curved glass chop) you can't modify the shape of the glass, and cutting a section off not only changes it's height, it changes it's shape. So instead of chopping the top and then trying to fit the glass to the top, you cut the glass and make the top fit the glass.

I ended up making a fiberglass windshield using a windshield as a mould. I then cut the fiberglass windshield down to fit my chopped top. The fiberglass windshield was then used to modify the roof. The fiberglass windshield was then used as a pattern to cut the glass and wham, it all fit back together!

Brian

Old 08-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

This is a 55 Chevy I helped my Friend Tim (LET'S CUT IT UP) Sunk the top down in this 55..Worked out very nice..But it's a lot of work..But on this car,When you drop the top down into the car.It get's narrower.But it turn out very nice.The first time I ever chopped one this way..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user7004_pic2152_1227036142.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	39750   Click image for larger version

Name:	user7004_pic2150_1227036142.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	39751  
Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
It too can be "sunk", but honestly I don't like that option (front or rear). I would do anything before that. Cutting the glass is just one of the many things that sets the customizer appart from the "Craftsmen".
Please explain this one to me. I have chopped top both ways and it is to easy to saw a top and graft it back on 4 or so inches lower. It is another thing to sink a top and do it tastefully . It is a lot more work to sink one than chop one. Yea ,chopping one ,you have to cut the glass, wooo hoooo. You know maybe some of us sometimes don't have that option. Or want to try something a little different. Now if you prefer chop over sunk that is fine but don't say that any man is any less than a craftsman for sinking a top. You sound like you have a lot of knowledge then you go and say something like this. I just don't get it. I just don't get your horse blinder type of thinking. sorry. Tim
Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Last photo:

In terms of chopping the glass down, I saw Stacey David on his Gearz show (go ahead, make fun of me now ) cut down glass by grinding it. I never thought about that method, but it makes sense I guess, if you're careful and go reeeeeeeal slowly. Has anyone here tried this grinding method?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntnyL
In terms of chopping the glass down, I saw Stacey David on his Gearz show (go ahead, make fun of me now ) cut down glass by grinding it. I never thought about that method, but it makes sense I guess, if you're careful and go reeeeeeeal slowly. Has anyone here tried this grinding method?

I have asked the same question and I was told grinding will split the glass because of the heat build up and if it catches the glass. I have been told to sandblast it by a bunch of people but have never tried that either. I have a friend who owns a glass shop that is giving me some old windshields to try different ways of cutting. He refused to try to cut my 57 chevy glass last week so it will be up to me to find a way to do it . I guess he better keep them 57 glasses in stock till I get it right,. I will be trying the grinding method just to see what happens. We don't have any glass cutters here ,they are just what I call glass installers. Tim
Old 08-03-2009, 11:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets cut it up
I have asked the same question and I was told grinding will split the glass because of the heat build up and if it catches the glass. I have be told to sandblast it by a bunch of people but have never tried that either. I have a friend how owns a glass shop that is giving me some old windshields to try different ways of cutting. He refused to try to cut my 57 chevy glass last week so it will be up to me to find a way to do it . I guess he better keep them 57 glasses in stock till I get it right,. I will be trying the grinding method just to see what happens. We don't have any glass cutters here ,they are just what I call glass installers. Tim

I think it would work...and if you can add water on the blade,It would most likely work good.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have asked the same question and I was told grinding will split the glass because of the heat build up and if it catches the glass. I have been told to sandblast it by a bunch of people but have never tried that either. I have a friend who owns a glass shop that is giving me some old windshields to try different ways of cutting. He refused to try to cut my 57 chevy glass last week so it will be up to me to find a way to do it . I guess he better keep them 57 glasses in stock till I get it right,. I will be trying the grinding method just to see what happens. We don't have any glass cutters here ,they are just what I call glass installers. Tim
Hey by the way, I absolutely LOVE your 55 Chevy! That chop looks soooooo right. Great job to you and New Interiors! Very impressive.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
You might want to look into waterjet cutting. A few companies advertise for cutting automotive glass. Never seen it done though but just a suggestion. http://www.kmtwaterjet.com/glass-cutting.aspx
http://www.sandersreproglass.com/process.php
Old 08-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Please explain this one to me. I have chopped top both ways and it is to easy to saw a top and graft it back on 4 or so inches lower. It is another thing to sink a top and do it tastefully . It is a lot more work to sink one than chop one. Yea ,chopping one ,you have to cut the glass, wooo hoooo. You know maybe some of us sometimes don't have that option. Or want to try something a little different. Now if you prefer chop over sunk that is fine but don't say that any man is any less than a craftsman for sinking a top. You sound like you have a lot of knowledge then you go and say something like this. I just don't get it. I just don't get your horse blinder type of thinking. sorry. Tim
Nothing personal and no need for me to explain my feelings because it will only turn my opinion more personal. Just take it as someone saying they don't like the color of your car. You would say, "that's nice because it's my car and I don't care what you think". My "Craftsmen" remark was out of line. I just don't like it, that simple.

Brian
Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

Here is a thread on where I tried sand blasting glass. This was just one test so it isn't an end all, it did look "Plausable". Sorry about the photos being gone, lost my photo space.

Brian

Cutting glass by sandblasting, Urban Myth?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hey by the way, I absolutely LOVE your 55 Chevy! That chop looks soooooo right. Great job to you and New Interiors! Very impressive.

Thanks AntnyL... It was fun while it lasted.. Tim sold the car.. But we had some good times late at night on that car... Not sure what going to happen with it now.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
You might want to look into waterjet cutting. A few companies advertise for cutting automotive glass. Never seen it done though but just a suggestion. http://www.kmtwaterjet.com/glass-cutting.aspx
http://www.sandersreproglass.com/process.php

I have a friend that has a ''very big'' Water jet,You can put a 20' sheet of steel in it.. The only problem.It only cut's striate down.The head would have to tilt to make the cut around the side.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:

Thanks for the complement. I had to sell it to pay bills...I do regret it but I can always build another. I am about to chop a 57 4-dr hardtop soon but I wont be sinking it this time I want it to look like it came out of a 50's custom shop. Any way back to figuring out glass cutting.LOL Tim
Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

the glass guy who use to do mine used a water belt. keeps the glass cool. he used 3 different belts but they came out nice and fit right.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.