Hot Rod Forum banner

Anybody ever heard of Spray Max?

19K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  gtolbert 
#1 · (Edited)
I found this website on-line: http://www.kwasny.de/en/EngFrameset.htm (click on "Automotive" then click on "Spray Max",
This looks exaxctly like what I need. Has anybody ever heard of or had any experience with this system? Does anybody know where it can be purchased?

#2 ·
not sure of the name

I have never heard of that brand but we use 2k primers in aerosol cans occasionally on car lot cars. It seems to do ok. The brands we have used are transtar and u-pol. I think one of the guys on here sells paint and stuff I have seen a few posts here and there regarding A different brand that I am not familiar with. As far as where to buy it locally I am not sure where you are located but most body shops have there own mixing systems and some of them sell there products to the public. We get our stuff from two suppliers,US AUTO Color and general wholesale. They sell to the public as well. I am sure if you check your local yellow pages under auto body supplies or paint supplies and ask a few paint stores someone would know if there was one in your area. I know that autozone and advance sell primers in rattle cans but I have never checked for the 2k urethane primers there.

#4 · (Edited)
I didn't know that you could buy 2K primers in aerosol cans. How do you mix in the hardner/activator before you spray it?

Aaron

It looks like, from that site that Lincoln posted, that they may actually have 2K in those cans. Must mix them with that thing in the bottom. I don't think the Upol or Transtar are 2K though.

#5 ·
oops

oh wow I just checked the link again that is activated clearcoat not primer i saw the 2k and assumed it was primer. sorry about that. Oh and the primers in the rattle cans are 1k high build urethane primers the only diff i know about is that the 2k you spray requires the activator and the 1k in the rattle can is the same urethane primer but it uses moister in the air to activate and cure it but it is supposed to have close to the same shrinkage protection as the 2k stuff you blow through the gun that is what our paint suppliers have told me.

I checked the u-pol website and this is the clear they offer in spray cans

http://www.u-pol.com/countries/us/navigate.htm
click on Products on the menu to the left then choose aerosols at top right

it is supposed to be able to be wet sanded and buffed after 2 hours but I would give it at least 4-5 just to be safe. The UV protection is supposed to be great with it as well. The guys at the paint shop say it is some really good stuff as far as aerosols go. The drawback is that US Auto color said it was $19 a can so I dont know what you are planning on painting with it but you may be better off to get stuff you mix and spray through a gun. I use some cheaper spray clear on softball helmets that i airbrush graphics on to keep the price of the work down. X-I-M 900 It does ok for that but no way I would ever use it on a car or bike.

#6 ·
RM has actual 2k clear

Just in from the paint shop. My supplier just told me he found a version of RM spray clear that is just like the stuff you are looking at on the site there. There is a compressed charge of activator in the can and you take a cap piece off of it put it on the bottom of the can and then smack it on the table to release the activator into the spray can. shake well and you have 24 hrs to use it up b4 it hardens in the can. But it is $38 a can (RM clears tend to be a bit pricey). You can buy a qt kit of transtar for that. but if that is what you are looking for they have some in stock. http://www.unitedsalescompany.com/index.html the west main street zanesville ohio location is the one that we deal with Rick has been helping me locate options for you. I am not tring to push them on anyone I just know that they have a version of what you are looking for.
Again I would suggest asking body shops in your area to let you know where they buy materials I am sure that there is someone closer to you. but if not it is here. the item number for the RM brand spray 2k clear is AM2-100. Good luck hunting and I hope this has helped you some.

#9 ·
adtkart said:
I didn't know that you could buy 2K primers in aerosol cans. How do you mix in the hardner/activator before you spray it?

Aaron

It looks like, from that site that Lincoln posted, that they may actually have 2K in those cans. Must mix them with that thing in the bottom. I don't think the Upol or Transtar are 2K though.
Martinsr has done some 2k aresol primer testing... the cans have 2 parts inside.. break the seal between the 2 parts and mix it

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
SprayMax

Hi, I'm new to the board, but I came across it and started reading some of the posts, and I had to join. I own an automotive paint store in Athens, Georgia. We sell R-M, Diamont, Glasurit, Limco and several other paintlines. What got my attention was the posts about SprayMax Aerosols. We installed this system some time back and coming from a background as a painter I never really thought this stuff would catch on. However, after seeing the results of this product, I started telling everyone about it. Now we sell this product multiple times a day. It really does spray just like a spray gun. I'm not here trying to sell something. But if you have questions about about this or any other paint issue, I love talking to people about their paint projects, especially DIY'ers. Our website is ********************. Shoot me an email or our contact info is there too... if you prefer to call.

Thanks again,
Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.