Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Anybody good with fiberglass
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69
It's probably not blending well cause you have to use your brush to blot down the edges of your matting and extend the resin beyond the edges of the matting as well. If you do that and use a roller/ brush it should be ok. As far as thinning the lines, it's hard to tell how much is glass and how much is filler. If you think it's too thin you can always take the filler off and add some strips of differing lengths to feather it out nice. You can shape it with an aggressive da with 40 grit, a die grinder carefully, and or mud hog with 40. I should be putting up a video of my coworker spanking out a Vette pretty soon on some fiberglass repairs.
I was thinking of using my air grinder to shape it. Oh well, I spent 3 hours trying to aggressively hand sand the fiberglass with 50 grit paper.

On my last pic you can see where the body filler ends. Then you can see where the kinda clearish resin ends right by where the epoxy primer has been sanded off in my attempts to feather it. That is my issue. When I run my hand over it I can certainly feel the edge. I tried to upload a pic of the areas circled but the forum won't let me cause the files to large.

First timer mistake, I didn't realize that I should've used a roller. As you can also see the air holes that I used body filler to fill.

Last edited by rusthater89; 06-26-2012 at 06:59 AM.