Hot Rod Forum banner

Anybody got the 110V 135A eastwood mig?

63K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  gow589 
#1 ·
For 299 it looks pretty decent. Anyone got one? I really want something just to tack weld my panels in place before I haul it to the shop.

#2 ·
It should work fine for that but like so many others before you I think you will find there will be many other things that need to be welded so the real question is will it work for those also? It does have some good features for a machine that cheap but a few things you should find out first is what about parts such as tips, nozzles, etc? Are these unique to this machine and if so will you be stuck with buying them from Eastwood and at what cost? Also you should contact them and find out where this thing is built, if it is Chinese then those tack jobs you mentioned may be all you will get out of it but if it is one of the outfits from Italy then it may be a decent buy. Chinese MIG welders have a terrible reputation for performance in addition to poor reliability so if it is Chinese it may be more of a concern than just reliability and it may not weld very good at all. Some of the problems usually encountered with Chinese MIGs are extremely short duty cycles, not much of a concern for tack welding however, and erratic wire feed speeds which is a concern for any type welding.

#3 ·
yes, I have 1. it's not Eastwoods tho, but a small chineese company makes them for both Eastwood and Northern Tools... I got a Neiko tools 1 off Ebay for $330 shipped.. this is the same 1 just blue and mine is yellow... for the price, it is great.. a professional welder is going to say it's a pile of crap no doubt, but it will run a consistant bead if need be, it spot welds just fine, and it's quite reliable. it takes Tweco torch parts and liners, and it is a Hobart Handler 140 knockoff/ can use some of those parts for repair if need be

possible I just like showing my work off but, the body on this is being welded with that welder

#4 ·
matt167 said:
y it takes Tweco torch parts and liners, and it is a Hobart Handler 140 knockoff/ can use some of those parts for repair if need be

That fact about the parts is a big plus for that welder since those consumables can be found just about anywhere. For sure this thing won't be a Hobart or Lincoln but then for only $299 it don't cost what they do either, whether it is worth it or not depends entirely on what is expected and it appears these machines are quite capable of body work.

#6 ·
I responded to similar questions in another thread on here a week ago. Seen here: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/eastwood-welders-173865.html . I copy and responded my response from that thread below, covering most of the same questions you were asking. Feel free to ask me any additional questions, and I can answer them.

Hi guys,

I wanted to clear up a few of the concerns on our new Eastwood welders.

1.These are NOT rebadged or rebranded welders made by another large company for us with our name on it.
-These welders we designed and tested in house here at Eastwood. They were designed to be EQUIVALENT to the Lincoln Mig Pak 10 (our 135) and the Mig Pak 15 (our 175). We oversaw every step of the production process to make sure these were designed to our specs and expectations. Our main concern is to give you a welder that is built to the same specs and quality as a industrial welder, but priced towards a serious hobbyist.
-We go so far as to back our welders with a 3 year warranty. That is backed by Eastwood Company, not by a 3rd party company, like people seemed to be confused about. We didn't begin offering these for a "quick buck", in fact we are working on designing further products to add to our welding product line (can you say affordable TIG and Plasma cutters?)

2. Consumables- Our welders are made with a Tweco style gun (the same as most major companies including Lincoln use). Therefore all consumable parts (nozzle, tips, etc) are available at any local welding supply store. We are enthusiasts here ourselves, and we know the frustration of needing a part or supplies halfway through the job and not being able to get it! (for me this past weekend it was running out of mig wire at 5:30PM on a Sunday and realizing the only local "Farm" store that would have wire closed at 5 )

If you guys have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them!

***In fact I can offer anyone that is on the fence about one of our welders the chance to try it for 30 days with a hassle free return policy. Buy it, use it to weld your rusty project car, patch a frame on the same project, your sons go-kart, your fence in your yard, your neighbor's shed doors, whatever... If you don't like it or it doesn't meet your expectations (which I highly doubt!), than give us a call and we will be gladly take it back and refund your money.***

Hope that cleared up a few questions and concerns.

-Matt/EW

#34 ·
I dont see a "Made in the USA" anywhere here. I am so sick of buying Chinese crap I really check it out before I lay down any money. I SENT BACK 3 ITEMS LAST YEAR. All made in China and all failed within a few months. The Craftsman lawnmower almost made it through the lawn one time. The tread mill broke after two weeks and the washing machine bearings were out inside of 6:smash months. Chinese? No thanks. :smash::smash:

#7 · (Edited)
Well, it seems very fishy that I know of 3 brands of these welders and they are all identical.. I think you may have in house testing, and they meet your quality standards, but I do belive they are not made specifically for Eastwood

Eastwood

Neiko Tools ( what I have )

generic brand

Lincoln Mig Pak 10- I always thought they were Hobart knockoff's but I guess there Lincoln knockoffs

My Neiko tools 1 doesn't have the curved front and looks identical to the Eastwood and the generic blue 1... you could discount the neiko in the pic being it has a slightly diffrent case. but that does not explain the generic being the exact same welder as the Eastwood, down to every feature and the writing is the same

that said, I have found mine to be very versatile, welds good and for a hobbiest welder like myself, it would be perfect.... the Ebay price for the Eastwood is not a bad price providing the shipping is reasonable. it says freight, but I paid $40 or $50 for shipping on mine and it came regular UPS truck

#8 ·
matt167 said:
Well, it seems very fishy that I know of 3 brands of these welders and they are all identical.. I think you may have in house testing, and they meet your quality standards, but I do belive they are not made specifically for Eastwood

Eastwood

Neiko Tools ( what I have )

generic brand

Lincoln Mig Pak 10- I always thought they were Hobart knockoff's but I guess there Lincoln knockoffs

My Neiko tools 1 doesn't have the curved front and looks identical to the Eastwood and the generic blue 1... you could discount the neiko in the pic being it has a slightly diffrent case. but that does not explain the generic being the exact same welder as the Eastwood, down to every feature and the writing is the same

that said, I have found mine to be very versatile, welds good and for a hobbiest welder like myself, it would be perfect.... the Ebay price for the Eastwood is not a bad price providing the shipping is reasonable. it says freight, but I paid $40 or $50 for shipping on mine and it came regular UPS truck

Very interesting! :mwink:

Do you by any chance have the price on that blue TL welder? It could very easily be mistaken for the Eastwood machine if someone didn't look at the name and it would be interesting to compare the price.

#10 ·
While I see your argument with the visual aspects of these welders looking similar, I do have some points to make. The best way I can explain this is by using an analogy that most “car guys” would understand. In the motor head world, just by stating you have a “small block Chevy” under the hood of your car can mean many different things. While all of them may look very similar, it is the internal components that make the “power”.

You can buy crate engines from different manufacturers, and they will all look like the iconic, tried and true, small block Chevy engine on the outside (in the “Mig world” that is the Lincoln Mig Pak 10 and 15). But internally ours will have a performance cam , major port work, balanced internals, etc. It will surely put out much more power and reliability than the other crate engine manufactured by a company with the same "look", but with “stock” internals.

So in the “Mig welding world”, many companies DO start out with a familiar “icon” (aka the small block) in appearance and keep the “tried and true” look that the community has grown to recognize.

But that is basically where the similarities end. Where the differences lie, is internally. Our units are manufactured with “ bigger cams” (a super high charge/discharge capacitor)-assuring consistent arc starting and spot-weld capabilities , “ported heads” (industrial grade press- fit semiconductor vs. many welders which have soldered-on semi conductors). All of this allows for the ultimate in weld bead quality and reliability, along with consistent output, and blue printed drive motor assembly-producing ultra smooth wire flow. We wanted to make sure our welders were equivalent to the “Icon” ( Lincoln Mig Pak) internally and could perform just as well, all while keeping the price affordable. Backed by our 3 year warranty, and Eastwood’s “Satisfaction Guarantee” (try it for 30 days hassle free!) vs. mystery brands that may not last the test of time or be able to discuss in detail the technical aspects of their welders. So in closing we aren’t trying to reinvent the “small block”, simply offer an affordable, equivalent option for a guy that can’t justify the price of the “icon”.

Again, I can assure we have worked directly with the factory to have these made to OUR specifications, not something that we simply rebadged as our own.

Thanks again for the responses, feedback, regardless of it's nature, helps us constantly be improving our product line.

-Matt/EW

#11 ·
it's not that they look simmilar.. it's that they look identical and quite obviously from the same manufacture at the very least, regardless I realize you could have better internals specified... like I said before, even assuming the machines are identical as they seem. the $50 price diffrence is worth it for the 3 year warranty

got a picture of the Feed system?

#12 ·
matt167 said:
it's not that they look simmilar.. it's that they look identical and quite obviously from the same manufacture at the very least, regardless I realize you could have better internals specified... like I said before, even assuming the machines are identical as they seem. the $50 price diffrence is worth it for the 3 year warranty

got a picture of the Feed system?
Sure do. Took these for another forum that asked for them. Also included is a pic of the feed system for the spool gun.

#15 ·
in all reality. they are probably exactly the same machines. but Eastwood tested them and ensured they were fit for eastwood quality and provide a 3 year warranty.. if Eastwood admits this tho, it would be very bad for buisnuess/ many would under cut them.. however, it's a $50 diffrence in price, for 2 more years of warranty. Eastwood is most definitely the better deal

#16 ·
ever think about the fact that Eastwood just bought the cases and had their own stuff put in them? I am sure if you bought one of each you would no longer say they are the same machine. There really is no point in reinventing the wheel (the outside case) since they can get a good deal on cases and knobs that a manufacturing company is already making in large quantities. You would also choose the same gun if it works to your specs since replacement parts are readily available. This argument is really no different than saying harbor freight tools that look like name brand tools are EXACTLY the same as the name brand tool. Majority of the people on this board know this is not the case. For some reason Eastwood has just gotten a bad rap on here and now everyone doubts what they say.

#17 ·
I truely belive the Eastwood is the better deal.. it IS the same price as mine ( same 'looking' unit ) except I got a 1yr warranty and not a 3 year.. granted since I have bought mine in November, the price of the other no names that looked the same dropped $50.. however, while it would be possible for only the cases to match. it would be unlikely.. everything on the machines appear the same, and the specifications that Eastwood uses are carbon copies of the other brands with the same 'looking' cases

#20 ·
snorulz said:
ever think about the fact that Eastwood just bought the cases and had their own stuff put in them?.

I think that scenario would be extremely unlikely! They may very well have specified some certain component's quality but buying cases and having different welders installed is hardly likely. Those of us who have bought from Eastwood in the past are well familiar with their products and while they do have a few fairly unique items most of what they sell are just imported products that can be bought cheaper at other places.

#21 ·
I don't think I would say Extremely unlikely. So in other words you are calling matt@eastwood a liar then?

I don't think it is a carbon copy of the other units inside. Is it possible, yes, but no one on here knows this for a fact and I don't like seeing companies get bashed when people don't know for a fact. It is just an assumption, nothing else.

But I think it is clear that if you want that welder, eastwood would be the best deal, longer warranty and if they are correct a better welder than the others like it. If they are not correct you still get a better warranty.

#22 ·
If Matt@ eastwood tells/ admits the welders are from another company, but meets Eastwoods standards. then everyone would undercut eastwood/ by that point he would most likely be out of a job

they are very likely the same welders. as oldred stated, they could specify better parts like capacitors and semi conductors just as matt@eastwood mentioned..

but any way you look at it. 2 years more of warranty is worth $50 no matter what

#23 ·
snorulz said:
I don't think I would say Extremely unlikely. So in other words you are calling matt@eastwood a liar then?

I don't think it is a carbon copy of the other units inside. Is it possible, yes, but no one on here knows this for a fact and I don't like seeing companies get bashed when people don't know for a fact. It is just an assumption, nothing else.

But I think it is clear that if you want that welder, eastwood would be the best deal, longer warranty and if they are correct a better welder than the others like it. If they are not correct you still get a better warranty.

That is totally uncalled for, no one called anyone a liar and no one from Eastewood said anything about having a different machine inside that case. Matt@Eastwood did say they specified certain components had to meet their specs and I never said or even hinted otherwise but expecting to find a totally different welder in that case just is not reasonable, somewhat better quality maybe but buying empty cases and having a completely different design/parts installed just does not make sense nor do they claim such a thing!

#24 ·
oldred said:
That is totally uncalled for, no one called anyone a liar and no one from Eastewood said anything about having a different machine inside that case. Matt@Eastwood did say they specified certain components had to meet their specs and I never said or even hinted otherwise but expecting to find a totally different welder in that case just is not reasonable, somewhat better quality maybe but buying empty cases and having a completely different design/parts installed just does not make sense nor do they claim such a thing!
I disagree, it was not uncalled for, I asked a simple question, I never said anyone called someone a liar. When I read your posts my understanding of what you are saying is that the welders are the same as the the other units, just re-badged. If this is what you think, then you would have to think that Matt@Eastwood is lying since he clearly says this is not the case. If you do not think this, then I apologize, I do not understand what you are trying to say then. That is why I asked it as a question because I wanted to know for sure.

Matt@Eastwood said "
But that is basically where the similarities end. Where the differences lie, is internally. Our units are manufactured with “ bigger cams” (a super high charge/discharge capacitor)-assuring consistent arc starting and spot-weld capabilities , “ported heads” (industrial grade press- fit semiconductor vs. many welders which have soldered-on semi conductors). All of this allows for the ultimate in weld bead quality and reliability, along with consistent output, and blue printed drive motor assembly-producing ultra smooth wire flow. We wanted to make sure our welders were equivalent to the “Icon” ( Lincoln Mig Pak) internally and could perform just as well, all while keeping the price affordable. Backed by our 3 year warranty, and Eastwood’s “Satisfaction Guarantee” (try it for 30 days hassle free!) vs. mystery brands that may not last the test of time or be able to discuss in detail the technical aspects of their welders. So in closing we aren’t trying to reinvent the “small block”, simply offer an affordable, equivalent option for a guy that can’t justify the price of the “icon”."

In my opinion this says they took a case and put the parts they wanted inside it. This backs up what I said. To me it says they did not take a Chinese welder already being manufactured and put there name on it.

I believe neither of us is understanding the point the other wants to make.

#25 ·
I just got my Eastwood 135 mig welder last week. It has the cheaper ground clamp as shown on the other brand blue welder pic on page 1 of this thread. However, it works and so far the welder works nice. My only disappointment is ordering it a week before I received my latest Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines where they are currently advertising it for 20% off.

I have no doubt that Eastwood made a deal with that manufacturer to produce their line of welders. There's nothing wrong with this. Many consumer products are made this way. There are factories all over China that submit quotations to get the job. If you toured these factories, you'd see one brand of product produced along side other brands, regardless if they're using the same parts or not.

Many consumer companies/ brands don't own their own factories to produce their product. Financially, it's cheaper to vend the production to a factory that's already set up with the ability to make the tooling, has the machines to produce the parts, the work force to assemble it and the logistics to pack it and get it to the harbor for export.

I bought it for the price and warranty, and was impressed with the video online showing the weld quality versus lincoln.

#26 ·
tuske427 said:
I just got my Eastwood 135 mig welder last week. It has the cheaper ground clamp as shown on the other brand blue welder pic on page 1 of this thread. However, it works and so far the welder works nice. My only disappointment is ordering it a week before I received my latest Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines where they are currently advertising it for 20% off.

I have no doubt that Eastwood made a deal with that manufacturer to produce their line of welders. There's nothing wrong with this. Many consumer products are made this way. There are factories all over China that submit quotations to get the job. If you toured these factories, you'd see one brand of product produced along side other brands, regardless if they're using the same parts or not.

Many consumer companies/ brands don't own their own factories to produce their product. Financially, it's cheaper to vend the production to a factory that's already set up with the ability to make the tooling, has the machines to produce the parts, the work force to assemble it and the logistics to pack it and get it to the harbor for export.

I bought it for the price and warranty, and was impressed with the video online showing the weld quality versus lincoln.
hi, i have looked everywhere to find someone who actually owns an eastwood 135mig welder. i have been trying to decide between the eastwood 135mig and the Hobart Handler 140. having tested the eastwood, do you believe that the eastwood is equal quality to the hobart?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.