Anybody got the 110V 135A eastwood mig? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
ever think about the fact that Eastwood just bought the cases and had their own stuff put in them? I am sure if you bought one of each you would no longer say they are the same machine. There really is no point in reinventing the wheel (the outside case) since they can get a good deal on cases and knobs that a manufacturing company is already making in large quantities. You would also choose the same gun if it works to your specs since replacement parts are readily available. This argument is really no different than saying harbor freight tools that look like name brand tools are EXACTLY the same as the name brand tool. Majority of the people on this board know this is not the case. For some reason Eastwood has just gotten a bad rap on here and now everyone doubts what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prattsville
Posts: 6,268
Wiki Edits: 31

Thanks: 2
Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
I truely belive the Eastwood is the better deal.. it IS the same price as mine ( same 'looking' unit ) except I got a 1yr warranty and not a 3 year.. granted since I have bought mine in November, the price of the other no names that looked the same dropped $50.. however, while it would be possible for only the cases to match. it would be unlikely.. everything on the machines appear the same, and the specifications that Eastwood uses are carbon copies of the other brands with the same 'looking' cases
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
yes it is possible but I will give eastwood the benefit of the doubt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prattsville
Posts: 6,268
Wiki Edits: 31

Thanks: 2
Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
as do I because it IS the better deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tennessee
Posts: 5,908
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorulz
ever think about the fact that Eastwood just bought the cases and had their own stuff put in them?.

I think that scenario would be extremely unlikely! They may very well have specified some certain component's quality but buying cases and having different welders installed is hardly likely. Those of us who have bought from Eastwood in the past are well familiar with their products and while they do have a few fairly unique items most of what they sell are just imported products that can be bought cheaper at other places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think I would say Extremely unlikely. So in other words you are calling matt@eastwood a liar then?

I don't think it is a carbon copy of the other units inside. Is it possible, yes, but no one on here knows this for a fact and I don't like seeing companies get bashed when people don't know for a fact. It is just an assumption, nothing else.

But I think it is clear that if you want that welder, eastwood would be the best deal, longer warranty and if they are correct a better welder than the others like it. If they are not correct you still get a better warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Member
 
Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Prattsville
Posts: 6,268
Wiki Edits: 31

Thanks: 2
Thanked 41 Times in 40 Posts
If Matt@ eastwood tells/ admits the welders are from another company, but meets Eastwoods standards. then everyone would undercut eastwood/ by that point he would most likely be out of a job

they are very likely the same welders. as oldred stated, they could specify better parts like capacitors and semi conductors just as matt@eastwood mentioned..

but any way you look at it. 2 years more of warranty is worth $50 no matter what
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tennessee
Posts: 5,908
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorulz
I don't think I would say Extremely unlikely. So in other words you are calling matt@eastwood a liar then?

I don't think it is a carbon copy of the other units inside. Is it possible, yes, but no one on here knows this for a fact and I don't like seeing companies get bashed when people don't know for a fact. It is just an assumption, nothing else.

But I think it is clear that if you want that welder, eastwood would be the best deal, longer warranty and if they are correct a better welder than the others like it. If they are not correct you still get a better warranty.


That is totally uncalled for, no one called anyone a liar and no one from Eastewood said anything about having a different machine inside that case. Matt@Eastwood did say they specified certain components had to meet their specs and I never said or even hinted otherwise but expecting to find a totally different welder in that case just is not reasonable, somewhat better quality maybe but buying empty cases and having a completely different design/parts installed just does not make sense nor do they claim such a thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-28-2010, 06:49 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: WI
Posts: 131
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
That is totally uncalled for, no one called anyone a liar and no one from Eastewood said anything about having a different machine inside that case. Matt@Eastwood did say they specified certain components had to meet their specs and I never said or even hinted otherwise but expecting to find a totally different welder in that case just is not reasonable, somewhat better quality maybe but buying empty cases and having a completely different design/parts installed just does not make sense nor do they claim such a thing!
I disagree, it was not uncalled for, I asked a simple question, I never said anyone called someone a liar. When I read your posts my understanding of what you are saying is that the welders are the same as the the other units, just re-badged. If this is what you think, then you would have to think that Matt@Eastwood is lying since he clearly says this is not the case. If you do not think this, then I apologize, I do not understand what you are trying to say then. That is why I asked it as a question because I wanted to know for sure.

Matt@Eastwood said "
But that is basically where the similarities end. Where the differences lie, is internally. Our units are manufactured with “ bigger cams” (a super high charge/discharge capacitor)-assuring consistent arc starting and spot-weld capabilities , “ported heads” (industrial grade press- fit semiconductor vs. many welders which have soldered-on semi conductors). All of this allows for the ultimate in weld bead quality and reliability, along with consistent output, and blue printed drive motor assembly-producing ultra smooth wire flow. We wanted to make sure our welders were equivalent to the “Icon” ( Lincoln Mig Pak) internally and could perform just as well, all while keeping the price affordable. Backed by our 3 year warranty, and Eastwood’s “Satisfaction Guarantee” (try it for 30 days hassle free!) vs. mystery brands that may not last the test of time or be able to discuss in detail the technical aspects of their welders. So in closing we aren’t trying to reinvent the “small block”, simply offer an affordable, equivalent option for a guy that can’t justify the price of the “icon”."

In my opinion this says they took a case and put the parts they wanted inside it. This backs up what I said. To me it says they did not take a Chinese welder already being manufactured and put there name on it.

I believe neither of us is understanding the point the other wants to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2010, 01:12 AM
tuske427's Avatar
Long Live the Muscle Car
 

Last journal entry: assembling 15
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got my Eastwood 135 mig welder last week. It has the cheaper ground clamp as shown on the other brand blue welder pic on page 1 of this thread. However, it works and so far the welder works nice. My only disappointment is ordering it a week before I received my latest Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines where they are currently advertising it for 20% off.

I have no doubt that Eastwood made a deal with that manufacturer to produce their line of welders. There's nothing wrong with this. Many consumer products are made this way. There are factories all over China that submit quotations to get the job. If you toured these factories, you'd see one brand of product produced along side other brands, regardless if they're using the same parts or not.

Many consumer companies/ brands don't own their own factories to produce their product. Financially, it's cheaper to vend the production to a factory that's already set up with the ability to make the tooling, has the machines to produce the parts, the work force to assemble it and the logistics to pack it and get it to the harbor for export.

I bought it for the price and warranty, and was impressed with the video online showing the weld quality versus lincoln.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: arkansas (it sucks)
Posts: 1
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuske427
I just got my Eastwood 135 mig welder last week. It has the cheaper ground clamp as shown on the other brand blue welder pic on page 1 of this thread. However, it works and so far the welder works nice. My only disappointment is ordering it a week before I received my latest Car Craft and Hot Rod magazines where they are currently advertising it for 20% off.

I have no doubt that Eastwood made a deal with that manufacturer to produce their line of welders. There's nothing wrong with this. Many consumer products are made this way. There are factories all over China that submit quotations to get the job. If you toured these factories, you'd see one brand of product produced along side other brands, regardless if they're using the same parts or not.

Many consumer companies/ brands don't own their own factories to produce their product. Financially, it's cheaper to vend the production to a factory that's already set up with the ability to make the tooling, has the machines to produce the parts, the work force to assemble it and the logistics to pack it and get it to the harbor for export.

I bought it for the price and warranty, and was impressed with the video online showing the weld quality versus lincoln.
hi, i have looked everywhere to find someone who actually owns an eastwood 135mig welder. i have been trying to decide between the eastwood 135mig and the Hobart Handler 140. having tested the eastwood, do you believe that the eastwood is equal quality to the hobart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 PM
tuske427's Avatar
Long Live the Muscle Car
 

Last journal entry: assembling 15
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm not an experienced enough weldor to give you the answer you're looking for. Case in point is I've never even seen a Hobart welder in person. I was using my neighbor's Lincoln before this and he also has a few Miller products. My local Airgas stores have Lincoln and Millers on their floors.

My Eastwood welder is exactly what you see in the pics except it has the cheaper stamped copper ground clamp shown in the off brand pic.

I am happy with the purchase. It has performed very well for me so far.

I hope this is still helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 PM
roger1's Avatar
©®™
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: San Angelo,TX
Age: 58
Posts: 1,077
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Look at my Lincoln SP135 Plus next to the Eastwood.

The knobs, switch, screws are all in the same place. The bezel is identical. Even the printing for the controls looks the same.

One thing is for sure. My Lincoln has been a dandy little welder for me.

The Eastwood looks like a great deal to me. And it's a lot cheaper than what I paid for my Lincoln.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 PM
327NUT's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: So. Utah
Age: 67
Posts: 3,178
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 58 Times in 52 Posts
roger1...timely post, I called Eastwood today and asked the same thing as others, "Who makes this rig". The guy wouldn't give a name but said that its made by a big name company. I said it looks like a Lincoln, again he said ...its made by a big name company. So my question to you, can you weld 1/4" plate with your 135...and whats the listed duty cycle. You have a nice outfit with the argon gas and cart. Looks like I have some research to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: tennessee
Posts: 5,908
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
roger1...timely post, I called Eastwood today and asked the same thing as others, "Who makes this rig". The guy wouldn't give a name but said that its made by a big name company. I said it looks like a Lincoln, again he said ...its made by a big name company. So my question to you, can you weld 1/4" plate with your 135...and whats the listed duty cycle. You have a nice outfit with the argon gas and cart. Looks like I have some research to do.


I know you were directing this question to someone else but let me assure you that you can weld 1/4" with that welder. You may not do it in one pass but that generally would not be a good idea anyway with wire that small however with a bit of preheat from a torch and multiple passes you are not limited as to what thickness metal you can weld, those claims of "welds 1/4" etc" just don't make much sense and are nothing but sales pitches. The only limiting factor with these little machines is of course the duty cycle but that limits the time you can spend welding between cooling periods and with proper preheating and a willingness to give the machine ample time to cool between weld passes there really is no limit to the metal thickness you can weld, 1/4" would not be much of a problem at all unless you are talking about big items. Things like brackets or frames would be no problem but the trick is to preheat the weld area to about 400 deg or so (just too hot to touch with your bare hand), this is a good idea anyway no matter how big your welding rig. When you get your welder try welding two pieces of 1/4" while still cold then weld two more after preheat and you will see what I am talking about, even a propane torch can be used for this if you don't have a welding/cutting rig.



BTW, When the guy at Eastwood said those machines are made by a "Big company" he might want you to think that they are made by Lincoln because they look like Lincoln but the reason these machines (all the brands not just Lincoln and Eastwood) look the same is that they are all just rebranded Chinese imports that they all buy from the same "Big (Chinese) company! They are the same and this has become a common way of selling things these days, be it welders, machine shop equipment, etc, they buy from a Chinese supplier and slap their name on it! Some people seem to think that while they look the same the insides are different but they come from the same Chinese company and if those guys want to pay more money based on the idea that the more expensive brand is better then fine but from what I have seen (based on looking at welders and machinery) that simply is not true, it's your money and your call on the brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
eastwood, mig welder

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Hobart MIG welder Chris Kemp Garage - Tools 1 04-08-2009 12:36 AM
new 110v lincoln power mig 140c 406 ss monte Garage - Tools 46 09-20-2008 02:13 PM
How big a bottle for MIG? rwruther Garage - Tools 11 08-14-2008 02:40 AM
~ MIG WELDING - The DIY Guide. Sanctifier Garage - Tools 4 04-23-2008 03:34 AM
Just got a Lincoln 100T MIG '32ROD Garage - Tools 6 09-04-2006 04:47 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.