Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Anybody have any experience with Eastwood electroplating kits? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anybody-have-any-experience-eastwood-electroplating-kits-224942.html)

rusthater89 10-12-2012 06:15 PM

Anybody have any experience with Eastwood electroplating kits?

I wanna use the tin zinc kit on the trim pieces that go around my windshields, door handles, etc.

Also is the black oxide plating kit and good? Was considering that for hood latches and bolts.

Do they last? Anybody try these?

Thanks.

Lizer 10-14-2012 08:13 AM

Isn't the trim around your windshield and other places stainless steel? If so, why would you want to zinc it?

rusthater89 10-14-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizer (Post 1598956)
Isn't the trim around your windshield and other places stainless steel? If so, why would you want to zinc it?

Because they look like crap. Dull, scratched and have over spray from some other guys paint job.

Lizer 10-14-2012 12:25 PM

You can easily polish that back to shinier than chrome!

1967 Mustang Restoration: Polishing stainless steel

rusthater89 10-15-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizer (Post 1599030)
You can easily polish that back to shinier than chrome!

1967 Mustang Restoration: Polishing stainless steel

That could work on the trim and such. What about the bolts?

I blasted all my bolts and saved all the ones that were in good shape. It would be nice to plate them.

So do you know about the Eastwood kits?

Leadfoot_Larry 10-18-2012 02:35 PM

Electroplating kits

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusthater89 (Post 1599450)
So do you know about the Eastwood kits?

I've used the Eastwood zinc kit successfully for a number of pieces. Just like any of the other coating processes, it is all about the prep. No grease, dirt, rust, etc. on any surface. Any contaminants will prevent the plating from adhering properly.

The kit and instructions are great for getting started, but to do anything serious, you'll need to use some ingenuity. A little web research will give you plenty of resources and ideas.

mitmaks 10-18-2012 06:19 PM

Do they sell kit for plastics, such as emblems, etc.

rusthater89 10-18-2012 08:23 PM

I have checked other sites. There are some nice kits. Problem is I don't have much money or the space for them.

Since you speak of success I will try it out soon.

rusthater89 10-18-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitmaks (Post 1600607)
Do they sell kit for plastics, such as emblems, etc.

I have seen kits for plastic during my google searches. The Eastwood kit don't seem like it is for plastic though.

Just search electroplating kits on google. I'm sure you will see it.

MARTINSR 10-19-2012 11:12 AM

I have to say, each car is different and each owner is different in what are his expectations? In my case I wanted a nice car but not by any means a "restoration" or show car or anything like that. I wanted to get it out and DRIVE IT. :D Anyway, I sand blasted each bolt head and then stuck them thru holes in a cardboard box to hold them while I sprayed them with a satin charcoal color Rustolium color and put the darn car together. :D That worked out well and met my expectations.

If you really want to zinc plat them I would find a place that does such work and drop them off a bucket of bolts. I have done that in the past when the expectations were higher.

Brian

Lizer 10-21-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1600822)
I have to say, each car is different and each owner is different in what are his expectations? In my case I wanted a nice car but not by any means a "restoration" or show car or anything like that. I wanted to get it out and DRIVE IT. :D Anyway, I sand blasted each bolt head and then stuck them thru holes in a cardboard box to hold them while I sprayed them with a satin charcoal color Rustolium color and put the darn car together. :D That worked out well and met my expectations.

This is exactly what I do too. Good ol Rustoleum, and it holds up well. Except I hit the bolt heads with some cheap Duplicolor etch primer first.

Leadfoot_Larry 10-21-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizer (Post 1601510)
This is exactly what I do too. Good ol Rustoleum, and it holds up well. Except I hit the bolt heads with some cheap Duplicolor etch primer first.

You guys are right, the Rustoleum does a good job - for a while. It is still susceptible to the same problems of contamination that any other coating is. So, my way of thinking, is that if I am going to the trouble of cleaning the part, de-greasing, de-rusting and getting it ready for paint, it is just as simple to zinc it if that is what you really want. I've also found that zincing lasts far longer without rust than any rattle can solution.

So if you want to start zinc plating you only need to "buy" two items - Electrolyte Solution (similar to VERY diluted battery acid) and a piece of zinc rod.
For your "tank" you can use any no-conductive bucket, plastic tub or container large enough for your part and the solution to cover it.
For your power supply; an old cell phone charger or other small transformer that is putting out around 1.0 Amp. I use a Radio Shack 4.5v International because it has a female connection with various adapters available. Attach alligator clips to the adapter and you're ready to plate.
I wire bolts together to plate them. Just remember that if the surface is blocked in any way, the zinc molecules cannot get to the surface to coat it, so you sometimes need to move things around half way through the process to make sure you are getting good coverage. This process generally takes about the same amount of time that your paint would take to dry. :)

BTW - Martinsr is correct that the Eastwood plating product doesn't work with any plastics. Plastic chrome coating and painting is a whole 'nother thread. Check out the SEM product discussions on the interior forum.

Hope this helps you get your project on the road - whichever way you go.

Lizer 10-21-2012 10:33 PM

My rustoleum bolts have held up as fine as the zinc bolts I buy. My rustoleum bolts are going on their 4th year now. I can't really complain. If it is a bolt that you are removing more than once or twice, that will chip off the paint a little bit and would be an application where zinc is better.