Anybody have any thoughts, burning hydrogen - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I can't bypass this thread, I have to comment. I know it will cause consternation and angry replies but here-goes. For the record I am a 40 yr practicing mechanical engineer and have been working in the energy industry the entire time. I believe the Wright bros. flwe, that men really went to the moon

Hydrogen is not a source of energy. It is the gaseous equivalent of electricity which also is not a source of energy. They do not exist in usable form in nature. They are energy transport media and cost energy and money to generate. If you look at the 'carbon footprint' we would be far better off burning the oil/coal/natural gas directly instead of generating hydrogen or electricity. Both consume 30%-40% of available energy in their generation. Thus electricity and hydrogen will always cost about twice that of hydrocarbon fuel alternatives. We pay a heavy price to convert energy into the convenient form of electricity but time has shown it is cost effective to do so. That can't be said yet for hydrogen gas.

You-Tube miracle hydrogen generators (if they work, some are complete scams) use a variation of the sophomore chemistry class of electrolysis (DC current in salt water, O2 gas bubbles @ the + lead, H2 bubbles @ the - lead then you collect the H2 in a test tube and light it behind the cute girl @ the next lab table and scare her spit-less; you know the drill). You pay a double hit for the electricity then another double hit for the hydrogen that cmes from electricity. In commercial practice the most economical source of hydrogen is reformed natural gas, not electolysis which throws off a bunch of carbon and still is not cost competitive w/ gasoline.

This doesn't impact the premise of the posts on the thread. H2 may well be a great fuel to burn in an IC engine. However it can never be a commercial use since it costs so much to generate and doesn't have the convenience, efficiency, energy density, cost effectiveness, etc., etc., etc., advantages of good old gasoline.

A possible solution to this conundrum is generating electricity w/ nuclear power and then generating possibly reasonably inexpensive hydrogen by electrolysis. But a recent study calculated that the US would need 600 new nuke plants to supplant mobile transportation fuel; the Fed just issued a new nuke plant permit last month - the first one in 40 years. No more are in sight.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Read my thread

I never said it was for commercial uses. I save big time with it and it costs me nill. 12 volts at 4 amps through coil and solution and pipe it into the intake. I get 10 more MPG now what,s wrong with that. Do you think I would have kept on using this if it did not work. 3.5 years I have had this. You slide rule text book readers should get out in the field and see it work. I have one and so do many of my friends. Baking Soda and distilled water. you guys make me laugh I can shut all your mouths easily I have a working unit and proof it works. I used you tube because i cant make a video myself, but that's where I saw it work and also the hydrogen torch work that means it burned. Now run it through your intake to the cylinders and it will burn. When it does it will use less gas. I showed a College professor in up state NY. After he saw it work and i gave him all the info he walked away screaming it will never work. Now this guy teaches your kids and mine. This is what I run into all the time people who are arm chair judgement passers who have never been in the field to investigate instead just flap their mouths. I have the proof in my Van and I could care less what you think. I am getting the extra 222 MPG per tank not you,l, heehheehhe And if I can get it to work in my Rod I will use it there also. Any way I am used to this type of response because it destroys what many have believed over the years or what they were told by some left Wing professor who says it wont work, when I have one that does.. Thickness is tough to penetrate The discussion is over on my side I have the goods I don't need to preach to non believers some still think the twin towers are still there as the Government used an invisible gas to make it not seen. bye, bye

Last edited by rsfyj; 03-02-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:12 PM

Last photo:

Hydrogen is not a Source of energy

hmm what in hell did they use in the Hydrogen Bomb? Chicken ****??? hydrogen is very explosive but has no energy. hmm i better get my books out. H2O the O is oxygen very flammable but has no energy. hmmmm that same oxygen goes into your combustion chamber and goes bang when the plug fires but it has no energy, it can"t work because my college professor said so, along with Mobile, Exxon, Shell, well you know where I am headed..$4.00 bucks a gallon lets keep this ball rolling that's what they want.. eheheh I found a way not to finance every Terrorist from going to Bomb belt school with the gas money.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

I put one in my wife's rav-4 and it went from 35mpg to 42mpg. I even put in a safety "backfire" jar.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

yup

They are all over the US look on the internet the people who have increased their mileages.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

This is what

the gas companies didnít want the home owner to know. It screws their quarterly rape of the people with out outrageous gas prices
Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
hmm what in hell did they use in the Hydrogen Bomb? Chicken ****??? hydrogen is very explosive but has no energy.
He said "Hydrogen is not a source of energy" wich translates into " there isnt hydrogen just laying around to use for energy"

It does not exist is usable form in nature.

Then He said "It is the gaseous equivalent of electricity, which is also not a source of energy" Again it does not exist in a usable form in nature

The difference I see here is pretty plain to see. You are saying it is a usable source, but are missing the point that it takes energy to produce that source.
I wish we could drill wells for hydrogen, but that in itself would be pretty risky. It would make more sense to try and harness lightning as a source of energy. Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

"My 2002 Windstar went from 14 mpg to around 24mpg on a trip and when its around 60 mph average speed."

Just so I'm clear on what your saying.........You can get 24 miles to the gallon from your Windstar? I assume it has the 3.8 V-6?

Just so you know......14 MPG is absolutely hideous fuel mileage from a 3.8 Windstar. I think my worst mileage ever was 16.5 with a bad injector. A trip to Missouri last June netted 23.5 out and 25 back while running 70 to 75 MPH. 5 adults and a child.........The way I have it figured, your still in the hole from what I get without an HHO generator...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
hmm what in hell did they use in the Hydrogen Bomb? Chicken ****??? hydrogen is very explosive but has no energy. hmm i better get my books out. H2O the O is oxygen very flammable but has no energy. hmmmm that same oxygen goes into your combustion chamber and goes bang when the plug fires but it has no energy, it can"t work because my college professor said so, along with Mobile, Exxon, Shell, well you know where I am headed..$4.00 bucks a gallon lets keep this ball rolling that's what they want.. eheheh I found a way not to finance every Terrorist from going to Bomb belt school with the gas money.
WOW! Are you saying your battery powered hydrogen flux capacitor splits the hydrogen atom ala the hydrogen bomb?! If so I take back everything I said; with a breath of hydrogen gas you can power your car for several decades.

Incidentally I still have my slide rule and was a power user in the day. My grad present from Fresno State. A Pickett bamboo 11"er with a heavy leather case & belt loop. Great nerd attire, all you need is a pocket pal, black slacks, white sox, black patten oxfords and button up short-sleeve white shirt to complete the ensemble.

Oh, and oxygen isn't flammable. It is a strong oxidizer. The technical definition (I know, if it is technical it loses all credibility with true believers) of flammable is tendency to exothermically combine with an oxidizer like oxygen. And I don't recall saying hydrogen doesn't contain a lot of energy. Of course it does. Hydrogen fuel cells are indispensable in certain applications. But you spent 1.3 to 1.5 times the exothermic oxidation energy it gives up when you generated it and you can't get that 0.3 to 0.5 back. I know I can't convince you and I prefaced my original post with the expectation of hostile response but perpetual motion class machines just can't work. If a rigorous economic analysis of your contraption showed it attractive, Exxon would definitely put a contract out on you and anyone you told your story to. If you think about it, the fact that you are still alive is proof engineers are probably telling you the truth. Just sayin' . . . .

Another thought; if you really believe in the contraption, why not start a business building and installing them? That is how Bill Gates, Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Robert Fulton, Cyrus McCormick , et al, made their fortunes. Doesn't take a lot of money, just a dream and determination. If it is good, it sells itself.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

Listen Guys it works it saves me money it saves gas

I don't understand why some of you run off on a tangent with different criteria to bash this savings i get as well as many others in USA you are not ever going to get out of your Gas rut unless you start to think out of the box instead of thinking like Exxon. I have a winner and I know what I have I don't have any more time to argue with turnips. it works. i don't mind being the winner in this one. Admins you can dump this thread as this technology is for the home owner that pays through the nose and we are using it to our advantage. And even if my Windstar gets bad mileage Im still ahead as I enhanced it a lot. So I win again. Stop financing the crooks in the Petroleum business.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Not trying to bash, just looking for clarification. How many Cubic feet per minute does the hydrogen device you have produce?
Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

I will have to look

I buy the coils and I have to look and see how many mileters per min it puts out it was substantial as I remember. ill get back to you in this thread. new coil every 6 months or so for 14$
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

Answer to output

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
Not trying to bash, just looking for clarification. How many Cubic feet per minute does the hydrogen device you have produce?
>.Heres where i buy my coils he has all the stats>Top-rated seller program - opens in a new window or tab
Member id andymerri ( Feedback Score Of 2505Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999) About member
99.7% Positive feedback

Get fast shipping and excellent service from eBay Top-rated sellers.

Consistently receives highest buyers' ratings
Ships items quickly
Has earned a track record of excellent service

Save this seller
See other items from this seller

Look up andymerri on ebay Hydrogen generator parts it outputs 1 liter evry 3 mins ans 300ml per min take a look thanks rsfyj
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

Go online and see for your self thousands of folks are using the same thing I use

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
WOW! Are you saying your battery powered hydrogen flux capacitor splits the hydrogen atom ala the hydrogen bomb?! If so I take back everything I said; with a breath of hydrogen gas you can power your car for several decades.

Incidentally I still have my slide rule and was a power user in the day. My grad present from Fresno State. A Pickett bamboo 11"er with a heavy leather case & belt loop. Great nerd attire, all you need is a pocket pal, black slacks, white sox, black patten oxfords and button up short-sleeve white shirt to complete the ensemble.

Oh, and oxygen isn't flammable. It is a strong oxidizer. The technical definition (I know, if it is technical it loses all credibility with true believers) of flammable is tendency to exothermically combine with an oxidizer like oxygen. And I don't recall saying hydrogen doesn't contain a lot of energy. Of course it does. Hydrogen fuel cells are indispensable in certain applications. But you spent 1.3 to 1.5 times the exothermic oxidation energy it gives up when you generated it and you can't get that 0.3 to 0.5 back. I know I can't convince you and I prefaced my original post with the expectation of hostile response but perpetual motion class machines just can't work. If a rigorous economic analysis of your contraption showed it attractive, Exxon would definitely put a contract out on you and anyone you told your story to. If you think about it, the fact that you are still alive is proof engineers are probably telling you the truth. Just sayin' . . . .

Another thought; if you really believe in the contraption, why not start a business building and installing them? That is how Bill Gates, Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, Robert Fulton, Cyrus McCormick , et al, made their fortunes. Doesn't take a lot of money, just a dream and determination. If it is good, it sells itself.
. The business is already raging on ebay for God sakes look up hydrogen generators on Ebay thats where i buy mine
Old 03-02-2012, 07:37 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

math doesent add up.. if your saying 300ml per min, your talking about .9L within 3 mins, and not 1 liter every 3 mins.. it would take 4 mins to make 1.2L ( 1200ml ). this would also be considering optimal conditions on the coils..

Now consider, it takes 2 mins or so to fill up that soda bottle ( 24oz roughly .7L ) at the same time the engine is sucking from it. how much is hydrogen is there at any given time for the engine to utilize?.. These things work because your watching your speed and trying to achieve the highest MPG to proove it works..

they got a thing called the fuel doctor with a couple lights that blink. sells great too.. If you sell it, they will come. doesent matter that the statistics are fudged to look like the stuff actually works..

I have some experience removing the so called hydrogen generators.. owners saw no gains in them after install. high dollar kits went into the trash.

Last edited by matt167; 03-02-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.