Anybody have stock Goodwrench 350 engine and 600 Edelbrock - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2004, 08:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anybody have stock Goodwrench 350 engine and 600 Edelbrock

Right now I have a stock gm goodwrench 350 with a 600 stock Edelbrock carb. Just asking if anyone with the same setup needed to change the jets/rods/springs to get the carb running right with the engine. Iam just having problems with smoke comming out of the exhaust pipes and stumbles or loads up on the power mode too. Also with a bog in the cruise mode. Just trying to find out a good starting point and see what other people have done.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2004, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

Have you tuned the carb yet. There are two adjustment screws on the front. One is air and the other fuel. It sounds to me that it needs to be adjusted. That should be plenty of carb for a stock 350. I have run the 600cfm Edelbrock on two 350's.

One is on a .060 over 350 and the other is on a .040 350 with double hump heads and a higher lift cam. Neither one of them runs bad unless it gets to lean.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:56 AM

Yeah I adjusted the mixture screws, choke, fast idle already. Adjusted them with a vac gauge. Engine starts and idles fine. Just the driveability is off right now. Checked the fuel pressure too. In all I check everything else and fell back thinking its something with the carb adjustment.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by cheezbay
There are two adjustment screws on the front. One is air and the other fuel.
Where is the "air" adjustment screw. I have 2 Edelbrocks and all I see are 2 idle mixture control screws. You got something new? or are you talking about the idle speed screw on the side by the linkage?

Mark
Old 02-18-2004, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmark
Where is the "air" adjustment screw. I have 2 Edelbrocks and all I see are 2 idle mixture control screws. You got something new? or are you talking about the idle speed screw on the side by the linkage?

Mark
What he's talking about is: on the front of the carb there are two screws- they control the air/fuel mixture in the carb. The one on the right controls the right side and the one on the left controls the left side. Turning the screws clockwise runs them leaner and turning them counter clockwise runs them richer. I hope that helps.

Never mind- You know what they are. I mis-understood your post. Keith
Old 02-18-2004, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Green Monster for clearing up what I meant. Sometimes when you are really tired (this is my last semester of school) things don't exactly come out right. Especially when I have been writing so many papers lately. Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:48 AM

I was looking at the Edelbrock calibration chart for a 1406 carb (the one I have). Just to make sure in the power mode when you have smoke coming out of both exhaust pipes, meaning the engine is running to rich? I tried both mixture adjustment screws again and nothing helps the cause. I was looking to go lean (4%)on the cruise mode and power mode and see if that helps. Like a .095 for the main and the secondary run a .092 jet.

Are there any websites that have detail pictures of taking the carb apart. Or better yet a webpage showing how to change the jets out. I have taken holleys apart but never a edel.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:36 AM

Blazemore, have you tried the Edelbrock website? I believe that they have a version of the owners manual on there that will have most, if not all of the info you need. Plus there will be tech help that you can E-mail with specific questions. Keith
Old 02-20-2004, 11:16 PM

I have exactly the same setup (or did have until I started adding other stuff), but I had the same problem. 1st problem I discovered was timing. If you power time the engine, you might eliminate most of the problem. I wound up advancing my timing to about 14 degrees. Ran fine with no knock and cured most of the problem. Long term what you will find is that the 350 goodwrench doesn't breathe real well. One simple improvement is to add an edelbrock manifold. There is a great series of articles from Chev Performance on building up the Goodwrench. I have to go back to an old thread to find them, but I will and post them later. good luck

GM Goodwrench Build up
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ch...articles/46320
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ch...articles/46326
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ch...articles/46359
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ch...articles/46364
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ch...articles/46370
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ch...articles/46438
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ch...articles/46461
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/ch...articles/46467

Last edited by caminoguy55; 02-20-2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:45 AM

Well I just added a Weiand action plus intake to the 600 carb to help it breathe. Also with a set of 3 inch headman headers. I'll try moving the timing up to 14 or maybe 16 degrees and see what happens. What was your total timing before adding stuff? Also I install a MSD 6A box with their Pro Billet Distributor and Weiand water pump (free up some weight and hp).

Also I ordered the new jets for the carb too. If the timing doesn't work then Im going to re-jet the carb and see if that will help. Looking for .095 for the main and sec .092. Hope this will solve my problems.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Yeah timing is what id check first, then on mine i had the same problem, it ended up being the metering rod springs.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.