anybody make a universal clear flattener? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 09:35 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

anybody make a universal clear flattener?

I'm using Nason clear.They don't seem to have a flattener in their line. I also have RM/Diamont clear. I would need to buy their 'flop control' additive to dull their clear but it has to be mixed on a scale(no simple ratio like 4:1:1) Also the Rm is a little expensive to be using to make a flat black. Does anyone make a universal flattener that can be used in any clear? I have Dupont 4531S flattener that is for Centari but i dont think that can go in clear.Anyone know for sure?

Advertisement

Last edited by shoddy_f-body; 03-04-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

I have used ppg flattener in spi clear without issue... that is all I know bout that one bro... Barry or Brian would have more imput or someone who uses such all the time... my guess is someone who uses it would probably stay within the same line... I know the ppg is compatable with spi and as a matter of fact I was not even concerned with compatability issues... I called Barry to ask about mixing ratio's.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Have that PPG #?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

i have heard you can use talkum powder.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:23 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoddy_f-body
Have that PPG #?

Man I am out of town today until tomorrow afternoon... Off the top of my head I want to say DBC 5685.... but that could be way way off as far as the number is...I looked at the can this morning moving things around in the cabinet.... I can let you know after I get home tomorrow, but that is the best I can do for now
Old 03-04-2006, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

I was helping a buddy paint his 54 chevy kustom and he wanted it to be flat lavender. He was using dupont I think and added the flattener but it didn't do the job, so he was going to add more, but he called the paint store and they didn't have anymore. I showed him the can and told him that it was just talc with some reducer added to it, and that in the "old days" we used baby powder, and I finally convinced him to try it. He went to the store and came back with several bottles of baby powder that we added to the paint along with some extra reducer. The paint was beautiful and flat just like he wanted, and much cheaper than the stuff dupont was peddling. We had a lot of fun with that car, every time someone would ask how he got the paint so flat we'd tell them to smell it, it smelled like baby powder!
PS
this was single stage though, I've never tried it in clearcoat
Old 03-04-2006, 02:40 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last photo:

Very interesting Ron.... wonder what Barry would say about that??? or any other chemist
Old 03-04-2006, 04:08 PM

Last journal entry: Latest picture
Last photo:

4531 can be used in clear, as well as single stage paints.To the best of my knowledge, it is the only flattener that Dupont has. Check out this excellent site for Dupont tech stuff
www.performancecoatings.dupont.com

Dan.
www.geocities.com/dantechfab
Old 03-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Owner of a broken cart

Last photo:

Ive never done a flat job. but i have a can of flattener i got from a chemist buddy at a paint company. he said, "its basically" talc." now to me "basically" and a dollar will buy you a cup of coffee, (as BK would say) so i dont know if its also got an anticaking agent in it or majic pixy dust or what.? ive never used it. but i have seen it used. gives perfect results just the same as the stuff you buy. these are good friends of mine, so i trust these sources pretty strongly. and have no problem using talc for such a task when the time comes. one source is a dupont chemist.

he also explained how it works. basicaly the talc rises to the top of the clear once applied, creating the matte appearence on the surface where the talc ends up settling.
i would be a bit hesitant on using the baby powder because of the "fragrances" and other stuff that might be added. but as roddinron said, he didnt have any problems from it.

i would charge extra for baby powder scented paint jobs.

Last edited by 327amc; 03-04-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

The PPG number is DX685. It might be worth a try, I know that it goes into ready-to-spray "RTS" mixtures, and when it is added, the instructions say not to use reducer. So in my mind it is mostly solvent and fine ground talc. I'll upload the p-sheet for you if you think you want to try it.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Thanks. For the PPG # I may try the Dupont flattener first on a test panel since i already have it.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoddy_f-body
Thanks. For the PPG # I may try the Dupont flattener first on a test panel since i already have it.
Alright, but it won't smell as good! lol
Old 03-04-2006, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

flattener by Johnson&Johnson I hope Barry chimes in and adds his nickle on the subject. We discussed on the SPI users forum awhile back the need for flattener and suggested mix ratios with his SPI products. Barry was considering offering a flattener as a powder which I thought was a good idea making easy measuring instead of the paste stuff. I've used different flatteners in many different paints and never had a compatibility problem. PPG's Omni worked just as good as their upper end lines. Bob
Old 03-04-2006, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
flattener by Johnson&Johnson I hope Barry chimes in and adds his nickle on the subject. We discussed on the SPI users forum awhile back the need for flattener and suggested mix ratios with his SPI products. Barry was considering offering a flattener as a powder which I thought was a good idea making easy measuring instead of the paste stuff. I've used different flatteners in many different paints and never had a compatibility problem. PPG's Omni worked just as good as their upper end lines. Bob
talc is talc, weather it's in cheap paint or highpriced paint, or on a babies ***, talc is talc, read the labels. I'm not suggesting you use it on an expensive paint job, but I know it works.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:47 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last photo:

Ok if I have time tomorrow when i get home, I will get some of my kids baby powder and mix of some clear... I will add and test until I get the flat look I am wanting and then spray out a test panel... and put it in the sun and weather outside and see what happens as the weeks go by... Im sure since it has been done allot by those already posted that it wont present a problem, but I will play the role of Tester.... Jim says I am his Guenna pig anyways...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.