Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Anybody put an early hemi into a T bucket?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957plymouthhemi
"....I'm wondering if I actually need to install the bypass....."

If at all possible I would. The bypass allows the water to circulate in the block until the thermostat opens and prevents localized hot spots from forming. If you elect not to at a minimum I would drill a couple of 1/8 holes in the thermostat.

".... My hemi still has the original fluid auto trans bolted up to it. Does it have a standard flywheel inside of it?...."

If it has a throwout arm on the bellhousing then it is a "fluid drive" (basically a standard clutch connected to a torque convertor) and should have a standard flywheel.
Good info about the hole in the thermostat. I will check on the throwout arm. I have the motor assy stashed away at my dad's house in CA. I filled it with Marvel Mystery Oil last year - 2 gallons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSoto
You'll have to contend with cutting into the exhaust crossover passage if you open up a '54 intake to fit a Holley, AFB or Edlebrock and once you open it up, make sure you radius the base of your cut bores.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
Will do. I'm going to install cast iron plugs in the heads too. I wont need any carb heat if I go with EFI

Quote:
I just noticed. Your manifold doesn't have the two holes for the carburetor heater chamber. Mine (off a '54 New Yorker) had a pair of holes that lead to a chamber under the carburetor. The base gasket had a chaber in it to route the exhaust gasses under the Stromberg 4bbl carb to heat the base plate. These holes were so close to the bores that opening them up to accept an R-3310 Holley cut into those two exhaust crossover bores.
My intake has the small holes like your's did

Quote:
You need an eight bolt flywheel. Use a Chrysler/Dodge/DeSoto/Plymouth (flat, not dished) 146 tooth flywheel 1939-1956
Quote:
Wilcap copied my Mcbar Machine adapter (I loaned it to them so that they could copy it) but I don't know if it ever hit the streets before Tony died and the business got sold.
My HH adapter is an exact dup of the original Offy adapter from the 60's
See page 42 on the PDF link below

Old Offy Catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I remember Nickey Chevrolet. I bought a 66 Vette fastback from a "pre-owned" Caddy dealer in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl in '71. They said it was a 396 and it ran like crap. Cost me $1800. Took it home, switched two plug wires and it purred like a kitten. Took the numbers off the block and couldn't find any matches so called Nickey and had them look it up. Turned out to be one of the first '66 Vettes with the 425 hp. 427 produced. God, I wish I still had that car...

Nice Midyear BB, but Vette's are sooo boring....Here's my silver '70
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5-13-10 Vette 008.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	61199  

Last edited by tjet; 12-29-2011 at 02:13 PM.