Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Anybody put an early hemi into a T bucket?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer
oh man! my very first car i ever bought! about 1973 i spied an unfinished, (No upholstry) t bucket with a for sale sign on it. 392 hemi. had that stupid push button trans and cheater slicks. i had to have it! he took payments, and i finally paid it off, all $900 of it!!! i got it to look pretty ******, got those big valve covers chromed, dark blue pickup body (rattle canned), with white side exit headers (write me if you have it). i never did get any uphostry in it (another $300) and the car couldnt get out of it's own way tho, due to being stock and having that crappy trans! at the time a dodge 4 speed was about $450, half the price i paid for the car, but still, at that time a Chrysler 4speed for sale, just did not exist. only ticket i ever got was for not having fenders draggin main. i dont know why either, but that car and being 19 and 20 i still couldn't get laid. i really really hated that automatic. kept me from being able to burn rubber. i believe me, IT COULD NOT BURN RUBBER! (not like those slicks helped any).
The cast iron push button torqueflight was a great trans. Not as light as the 727 or 904s but the internals were pretty much the same. Sounds like yours needed a serious rebuild. He11, the '64 273 Barracuda I owned in '67 had that trans and it could light up the tires.... well tire... it didn't have a posi, pretty much anytime I wanted.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it." - Dudley Moore