Anybody put an early hemi into a T bucket? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If I installed a breather in each valve cover, should I use a sealed oil filler cap instead of the original vented cap/breather arrangement? That way, the fresh air would only come through the valve covers.

I would also install the HH PCV kit into the original valley cover

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2011, 09:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

If you install the HH PVC setup you shouldn't "need" breathers in the valve covers, however as Skip says the wouldn't hurt. The whole idea would be to duplicate a modern PVC system yes, I believe you would want a sealed oil filler cap. Adding breathers to the hemi in my 32 is one of the things I intend to do when I get time. Good angled ones are a tad pricy so I'll wait till I have the extra cash. I did use a standard style PVC system on the 331 I put in my truck along with breathers.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you. - Anonymous

Last edited by Centerline; 12-31-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Ok - looks good

Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Maybe I missed it but here I am on page 4 and have yet to see a T-Bucket with a Hemi?

So, to scratch the itch, I surfed and found these.....

Here is one, added the blower 'cause the hemi didn't have enough HP :

And a T Roadster:

And a blurry coupe with a bizzarro front shock set-up:
Old 01-01-2012, 08:33 AM
Hot Rod Wiring, Early Hemi SME

Last photo:

Two ways to do the PVC thing

There's the HH setup with a breather in one cover and a bung in the other. Very effective but not very nostalgic looking.

The other way is to put nostalgic breathers on the valve covers and install the PCV valve (via a short hose) into the rear of the valley cover or into a bung in the oil filler tube. In both cases of this method, the open end of the breather tube MUST be plugged/capped off in order to force the inlet air to go through the two breathers.

One thing you need to consider doing when you use the valley cover PCV location is to incorporate some sort of a baffle to prevent the pCV valve from sucking oil out of the engine. I simply sectioned the bottom half of the stock valley cover pieces and put it right back on the engine under the O'Brien Truckers valley cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0029-compressed.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	61299  
Old 01-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster
Maybe I missed it but here I am on page 4 and have yet to see a T-Bucket with a Hemi?

And a T Roadster:

This is exactly what I'm thinking about - thanks John I wonder what he's using for a tranny.

I also found a few supercharged t bucket hemi pics. Way too much power. You would need to be very cautious on any throttle input - especially on a corner. That would be like driving on ice ALL the time.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSoto
The other way is to put nostalgic breathers on the valve covers and install the PCV valve (via a short hose) into the rear of the valley cover or into a bung in the oil filler tube. In both cases of this method, the open end of the breather tube MUST be plugged/capped off in order to force the inlet air to go through the two breathers.
I have a couple old Offy breathers packed in my stuff out in CA, but they are the tall straight ones.

These Moon breathers would look better than my Offy's mounted on the top of the orig steel valve covers

Old 01-04-2012, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

PCV setup and breather pics

Sectioned valley cover bottom and O'Brien Truckers top

Donovan covers with breathers

OBT valve covers with Offenhauser breathers on the front. There's a rag stuffed down the oil filler tube to block it off. The baffles at the bottom of the tube prevent the rag from going all the way down. Makes for a convenient plac to store my dipstick wiper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6773-1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	967.9 KB
ID:	61444   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3037.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	61445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2709-1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	727.6 KB
ID:	61452  

Last edited by DeSoto; 01-04-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:31 PM
mopar or no car

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Hi Skip, glad to see you posting again.

I had my machine shop do that very same thing and we didn't hit the exhaust crossover. Don't know if it was luck, an unusually thick casting or what but it worked.

Before...

After....

AFB adapter and with riser installed....

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"When buying a used car, punch the buttons on the radio. If all the stations are rock and roll, there's a good chance the transmission is shot." - Larry Lujack

love the way your modified intake looks,, i was lucky to find a factory iron intake before offy started reproducing there old 4bbl for the dodge hemi,, i was lucky to have saved and old adapter plate,,,all i had to do was drill out the pre stamped holes that matched the old wcfb pattern in my adapter plate,,i wasnt concerened about the ports not lining up properly,,the 500 cfm afb is already to large for a 214 cii motor,,but works fine good power and mileage in a full fendered street rod,, nice topic you guys have here
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	241 hemi pics 008.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	780.3 KB
ID:	63031   Click image for larger version

Name:	241 hemi pics 003.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	911.5 KB
ID:	63032  
Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

oh man! my very first car i ever bought! about 1973 i spied an unfinished, (No upholstry) t bucket with a for sale sign on it. 392 hemi. had that stupid push button trans and cheater slicks. i had to have it! he took payments, and i finally paid it off, all $900 of it!!! i got it to look pretty ******, got those big valve covers chromed, dark blue pickup body (rattle canned), with white side exit headers (write me if you have it). i never did get any uphostry in it (another $300) and the car couldnt get out of it's own way tho, due to being stock and having that crappy trans! at the time a dodge 4 speed was about $450, half the price i paid for the car, but still, at that time a Chrysler 4speed for sale, just did not exist. only ticket i ever got was for not having fenders draggin main. i dont know why either, but that car and being 19 and 20 i still couldn't get laid. i really really hated that automatic. kept me from being able to burn rubber. i believe me, IT COULD NOT BURN RUBBER! (not like those slicks helped any).
Old 02-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullheimer
oh man! my very first car i ever bought! about 1973 i spied an unfinished, (No upholstry) t bucket with a for sale sign on it. 392 hemi. had that stupid push button trans and cheater slicks. i had to have it! he took payments, and i finally paid it off, all $900 of it!!! i got it to look pretty ******, got those big valve covers chromed, dark blue pickup body (rattle canned), with white side exit headers (write me if you have it). i never did get any uphostry in it (another $300) and the car couldnt get out of it's own way tho, due to being stock and having that crappy trans! at the time a dodge 4 speed was about $450, half the price i paid for the car, but still, at that time a Chrysler 4speed for sale, just did not exist. only ticket i ever got was for not having fenders draggin main. i dont know why either, but that car and being 19 and 20 i still couldn't get laid. i really really hated that automatic. kept me from being able to burn rubber. i believe me, IT COULD NOT BURN RUBBER! (not like those slicks helped any).
The cast iron push button torqueflight was a great trans. Not as light as the 727 or 904s but the internals were pretty much the same. Sounds like yours needed a serious rebuild. He11, the '64 273 Barracuda I owned in '67 had that trans and it could light up the tires.... well tire... it didn't have a posi, pretty much anytime I wanted.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

"The best car safety device is a rear-view mirror with a cop in it." - Dudley Moore
Old 02-21-2012, 01:34 PM
mopar or no car

Last photo:

desoto,,, i havent seen you at the wheels of time event at ma cungie, in a few years,, are you headed there this year ?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

I quit going the year I blew the tire on the way home from Louisville. I was back in Emmaus the weekend before Macungie picking the car up to haul it back to my friend's body shop.

I'd already become disenchanted with the new WOTSRA event management and their revamping of the parking layout anyway and when the tire let go, it was a convenient way for me to end my streak and I haven't been back since.

It's kind of like the Ty-Rods Old Timers Reunion. That event used to be the place to be on the second Monday in September. If you didn't put your event application in the mail the same day you recieved it, you didn't make the cut.
Now, it's just like Macungie. Neither event sells out through pre-registration but they both had waiting lists before one individual took over the duties of the committee.

Both are little more than weekly cruise nights, now.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Here is my Hemi T.

Last edited by AzHemiT; 05-18-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Engine placement

Centerline, on your '32, does the engine bellhousing enter the cabin area?

I have an extended bell block & I'm wondering if that's going to be an issue.

I'd like to have the block bell flush with the firewall for maximum foot room.

I would need to place the engine forward more - like this pic below

See where the bell is here?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.