Anybody use Wanda Paint? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 10:15 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Wanda Paint is a 4th line paint system

We agree. Although Wanda is a great alternative for body shops working on tight margins, we would not suggesting Wanda for restorations and custom work. We were simply trying to give some insight to Turdpolisher's question.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Your absolutely right , There's "the right paint" for each job,most jobs are just sanded and painted at body shops,very few will do a resto these days because nobody wants to pay for it.
I guess thats why theres such a big market for lower end paints...theres a big demand.... The thing is ,buying the best paint wont necessarily get you a nice job,you have to be a good painter, a good painter can make any paint look good.....So for the (first timers) a 500.00 paint budget will get you to the same place a 2,000.00 and up budget will..You wont see any difference.
but get the good cheap stuff ...some of the stuff out there is real crap..
Ask a "painter" whats the best paint for your budget not a dealer or anyone that sells paint ...find out what shops are using it and see how it looks for yourself,and never buy on price alone...

The bitterness of poor quality always lasts longer than the sweetness of a good price.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 PM

So on a restored car I should buy the most expensive clear that I can find? You get what you pay for right?
Old 02-19-2011, 04:05 PM

NEVER BUY ON PRICE ALONE ....You can take a poll if you want ,That'll give you the best idea of our preferences....
You can buy a chineese tools at a lot of places why would you buy at Lowes where their Chineese tools cost as much as US tools from sears??? just because you paid more at Lowes doesnt make them better than sears...These new paint companies come out and try to jump on the lets screw the body and paint guys wagon with the rest of them ...theres a lot of money out there selling paint to people that dont know what they're buying..
they're like three card monty dealers in vegas stuffing their pockets with your money until you figure out not to play the game...It took me years to find the best clear for me and it came with a cost.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 AM

I just wanted to clear some things up about wanda paint. I have been using wanda line paint products for over a year now. Primer ,base and clear. Some of you don't know about this product and I don't blame you for having doubts about its performance. I have a full toner bank system and am very happy with the color match capabilities and how easy this product is to work with, unlike most inexpensive paint lines witch only offer one or two color variants wands offers atleast two and I have seen some with up to seven or eight . I do production and restorations and wouldn't hesitate using it on either type of job. Another benefit is the clear and the primer all use the same hardeners thus saving on having to stock multiple types of hardeners medium,slow,and extra slow that's what they offer and that's all you need . The clear and primer mix 4 to 1 with a hardener, base and sealer mix 2 to 1 with a reducer , unlike other companies with have a plethora of mixing ratios. Color hold out and coverage are excellent as well. The clear is easy to spray is a high solid and lays down nice and costs around 100 a gallon with hardner. Most base colors cover in two coats and run around 220 a gallon unreduced,example wa505q in ppg this is only offered in a three stage and is around 1000 for 3 quarts base 1 1/2 quarts mid coat ,wanda offers it base coat 270 gallon unreduced . The toner bank has the capabilities to mix over 10,000 different colors including three stage paints as well .the primer is also a great product and runs around 100 per gallon kit also, and is comparable to many high line products. Sealer is around 40 a quart and is tintable up to 10% with wandas toners . Just wanted to throw this out there I know wanda isn't the best name for a paint product and I get alot of funny looks when I say that's what I spray but it is a great product, and has been around for many decades in south America .give it a try Mabey just the primer at least you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:19 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i'll stick with spi and prospray .
Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMN
So on a restored car I should buy the most expensive clear that I can find? You get what you pay for right?
NO, SPI clears are not the most expensive, but they are some of the very best there is.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan Autocolors
I just wanted to clear some things up about wanda paint. I have been using wanda line paint products for over a year now. Primer ,base and clear. Some of you don't know about this product and I don't blame you for having doubts about its performance. I have a full toner bank system and am very happy with the color match capabilities and how easy this product is to work with, unlike most inexpensive paint lines witch only offer one or two color variants wands offers atleast two and I have seen some with up to seven or eight . I do production and restorations and wouldn't hesitate using it on either type of job. Another benefit is the clear and the primer all use the same hardeners thus saving on having to stock multiple types of hardeners medium,slow,and extra slow that's what they offer and that's all you need . The clear and primer mix 4 to 1 with a hardener, base and sealer mix 2 to 1 with a reducer , unlike other companies with have a plethora of mixing ratios. Color hold out and coverage are excellent as well. The clear is easy to spray is a high solid and lays down nice and costs around 100 a gallon with hardner. Most base colors cover in two coats and run around 220 a gallon unreduced,example wa505q in ppg this is only offered in a three stage and is around 1000 for 3 quarts base 1 1/2 quarts mid coat ,wanda offers it base coat 270 gallon unreduced . The toner bank has the capabilities to mix over 10,000 different colors including three stage paints as well .the primer is also a great product and runs around 100 per gallon kit also, and is comparable to many high line products. Sealer is around 40 a quart and is tintable up to 10% with wandas toners . Just wanted to throw this out there I know wanda isn't the best name for a paint product and I get alot of funny looks when I say that's what I spray but it is a great product, and has been around for many decades in south America .give it a try Mabey just the primer at least you won't be disappointed.
Is the Wanda basecoat as good as Crossfire?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:12 AM

wouldn't even put it in the same category with cross fire. I was skeptical of the wanda at first but have used it for the past few months on a few cars and am very happy with the results. I couldn't get any better results out of sikkens/lesonal. Metallic control with wanda is amazing.....better than sikkens, imo. I just did a rear bumper on a 2006 lexus gx....tri-stage white pearl. Pulled the bumper..repaired the bump up area around where it meets the tailgate...primed..2 coats of white base and 2 coats of the pearl...perfect. Was worried about it matching good so i just blended it out to where it rolls out and meets the quarter panel....blended excellent. Could have just done the whole bumper as i hate doing panel blends..theres always ANOTHER area on there that needs to be painted that insurance isn't paying for. Topped it off with SPI 2.1 voc production clear. I dont use their clear or their primer...even though i've tried it. Spi all the way in that department. They (wanda) do not have an epoxy.

couldn't have gotten a better result using sikkens and their clear. cut my cost in half by using wanda and spi.

talk junk about it if you want...its virtually the same stuff as sikkens. If you put their color books and their variant systems side by side...they are the same colors...same codes. Friend of mine used my booth a while back and used prospray....i didn't see any difference in sprayability and coverage than with what i'm getting with wanda.

reason you dont hear a lot of about it, is because anyone who is tied with sikkens and sells sikkens...cant make the money off wanda that they do with sikkens. Theres no contracts or none of that mess with wanda. With sikkens/lesonal they have shops locked in with multi year contracts...that means they HAVE to pay $400 for a gallon of clear or $700 for a gallon of red base. Profit margin with sikkens is miles above than wanda...pure business. unfortunately, thats all it amounts to...money. Yes, there is virtually no tech support....thats up to the store that carries it.....and they do have a rep that they deal with.

Last edited by jeremyb; 06-19-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 AM

Finally, a few pros that actually use it....It sounds interesting enough to try and see for myself since Im not partial to ANY particulay base just whats convenient and quick to get. I Just paid 96.00 a "pint" for bordeau red in Chroma base (PPG was even more) this might just be the last can of Dupont I ever buy....My butts so sore I can hardly carry my wallet....I'll definetly be trying it...Theres a paint for every type of job thats part of what being a good painter is all about...
Old 06-30-2012, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Finally, a few pros that actually use it....It sounds interesting enough to try and see for myself since Im not partial to ANY particulay base just whats convenient and quick to get. I Just paid 96.00 a "pint" for bordeau red in Chroma base (PPG was even more) this might just be the last can of Dupont I ever buy....My butts so sore I can hardly carry my wallet....I'll definetly be trying it...Theres a paint for every type of job thats part of what being a good painter is all about...
You know what I have realized that I like about YOU, DeadBodyMan? You've got heart and appear to be pretty self-confident guy! I've read your posts on other topics, and I've seen pictures of your projects. It's apparent, you're pretty well versed, in a lot of areas related to body & paint, and you have an opinion that carries some weight with me!

What impressed me in this Thread, was the fact that you spoke your mind, about "Wanda branded paint" early on; however, once you read the post by "Artisan" (?) a professional shop.......you shoved it in reverse and retracted your earlier comments! Not because someone badgered you into doing it but because you were given NEW information by someone who's using the product in a professional setting. To be willing to change your opinion based on new information is commendable in a day when men don't have the courage to admit they may have been lacking info when they made an earlier judgement! Good for YOU man!

Let's face it; a lot of DIYer's/Hobbyists (i.e. myself included) are willing to sacrifice quality for cost, but a shop can't afford to lose customers, by pumping out poor results! With that in mind, you KNOW a shop isn't going to just pump a brand name if it's putting out poor quality results!

As a follow up to this old Thread, "Wanda" resurfaced in the Sept. 2012 issue of "Street Rodder" magazine page 73. They listed "House of Kolor" on the same page, and PPG and DuPont on the following pages, and I think they gave a fair representation of each of them, according to their intended benefits. Because my local Paint Wholesale jobber also sells this paint, I wanted to know if this Forum had some "hands-on" opinions! The only irrelevant comments I've seen posted suggested that "Wanda" was an odd name for a paint.....what? Like DuPont isn't anything more than just a "family's last name"? Duh! LOL!

As a result of these opinions and representations, I'm AT LEAST going to give this paint a shot on my 1990 Chevy LoRider; then, depending on the coverage and reflective qualities, I may give the thumbs up for my son's '73 Stang! Keep on Truckin Men!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Paint

I like reading this site because you get a 100 different opinions. You learn who the old dogs at that won,t change there opinions no matter what, and the guys who are willing to try anything to see how it works. I'm in the middle, still learning. I just sort through it all and if I want to try it I will. I would give it a try on my next project. I believe nothing is written in stone. See ya later.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

In a paint class we just Wanda and Lesonal. We called the Wanda clear 'beer clear' because it literally looked like beer sitting there in the mixing cup. It was very yellow.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 AM

One thing I hate are those yellow clears. You dont have to use ALL wanda products ,I do have a favorite clear that I always use and just because I'm not totally dedicated to any particular brand of base I am very dedicated to my clear and the company that makes it..
I find its best to keep an open mind and value other pros opinions ,sometimes THEY stumble onto something great at a good price,and sometimes I do...If I find something that works great and share it with others I'd want them to at least concider what I'm saying has some value also...5-6 yrs ago I wasnt so dedicated to any particular brand of clear until someone said "hey ,you gotta try this stuff" I've been a big fan of SPI ever since....The Wanda story sounds a lot like the SPI story and I just cant help betting on the underdog..
Putting out a better product at a lower price should be everybodys motto
Old 07-01-2012, 10:01 AM

sorry, but i've been using wanda for about a year and a half now (switching from sikkens) and have never seen this "yellow" clear. They only offer 2 clears..Neither which are yellow.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeremyb For This Useful Post:
hotrodbarn (01-25-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.