Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Paint (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/paint/)
-   -   Anybody use Wanda Paint? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anybody-use-wanda-paint-182172.html)

Turdpolisher 08-04-2010 01:00 PM

Anybody use Wanda Paint?

My local paint supplier just changed to Wanda paint. Anybody painted with this? Issues? Cost?
I had never heard of it!

Thanks for input

wayneooo 08-04-2010 01:37 PM

ive never heard of it who makes it i think paint and other products are like hotdogs. ( i worked in a meat packing plant a few yrs ago) the hot dogs would come down the belt, get counted, wraped, and i put stickers on them which brands went to what store they continued down the belt packers put them in the store boxes amazing. there are only a few paint companys out there.. so maybe its just a company selling the product under a different name that dont meet their high standards. Martin guitars does that. and a lot others

dinger 08-04-2010 04:37 PM

I googled this. here Looks like a European paint line come to America.

302 Z28 08-04-2010 04:47 PM

I could think of a few better names for a paint line than Wanda :pain:

Vince

BarryK 08-04-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayneooo
ive never heard of it who makes it i think paint and other products are like hotdogs. ( i worked in a meat packing plant a few yrs ago) the hot dogs would come down the belt, get counted, wraped, and i put stickers on them which brands went to what store they continued down the belt packers put them in the store boxes amazing. there are only a few paint companys out there.. so maybe its just a company selling the product under a different name that dont meet their high standards. Martin guitars does that. and a lot others

--------------------------------------

Sorry, it don't work that way in paint business.

Wanda was named after one of the CEO's daughter, and is made by sikkens as a stand-along low cost line.
They have a master distributor (RBL) that sells the line with no sikkens ties or support.

swvalcon 08-04-2010 07:25 PM

I've used it a couple times. It's a cheaper brand sold by axel noble.I just painted the roof on a 61 chev with it. Painted a 79 corvette last year. Put spi clear on them and looked just fine. Maybe one step up from omni.Has good coverage and lays down good. If your not doing a all out show car should work just fine on anything. Haven't tryed a spot job yet for color match but would think it would be as good as omni.

fireboat 08-04-2010 07:45 PM

Akzo Nobel is one of the largest (if not the largest) paint companies in the world with all sorts of familiar names such as Sikkens, Awlgrip, Interlux, U-Tech, Liquid nails, Glidden and more.
Wanda was sold for years down in South America, I think Brazil mostly where it was named after the founder's daughter.
It is a price leader paint line with a fairly full line.
A jobber close to me carries it but doesn't seem to want to push it very hard. I have no idea of how it performs, but given Akzo Nobel's resources, I would think it performs at least as well as competitive brands in that price range.

Houston54 08-10-2010 09:43 AM

I used some Wanda to repaint a front fender on my 54. I had used the top shelf Azkel Nobel base originally and the Wanda color matched very well. This was a silver metallic.
I took some of the original base with me and after the initial mix we used the original to fine tune the tint.
Came out great.
With the cost per gallon of paint going up everytime you turn around it is good to find a product that is cost effective and works well.

I would not hesitate to use the Wanda brand again.

jeremyb 08-10-2010 05:51 PM

if you are going to use a lower line from akzo, use utech. I'd rather use a product where i can get tech support because like barry said, you get none with wanda. i asked my sikkens rep about gettin some and he just looked at me funny and shook his head and pretty much said stay with utech or lesonal if i'm going to do anything budget like that.

deadbodyman 08-11-2010 01:42 PM

I just laughed when I saw that stuff in the new street rodder mag ...if you go by the way they show you how to paint then ......well ...lets just say ....I wont be using it anytime soon ...when someone recommends using SS metallic candy apple red ...you better start running they are trying to sell you a bridge....sounds like something Eastwoods will be selling .....just my impression of it though ,I already know what works best for me and I have no reason to change...

BarryK 08-11-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I just laughed when I saw that stuff in the new street rodder mag ...if you go by the way they show you how to paint then ......well ...lets just say ....I wont be using it anytime soon ...when someone recommends using SS metallic candy apple red ...you better start running they are trying to sell you a bridge....sounds like something Eastwoods will be selling .....just my impression of it though ,I already know what works best for me and I have no reason to change...

================================================== =

Mike,
I'm just reading away and read this, first thing that comes to my mind was I must have either not taken my idoit control pill, or I had been drinking and taken the pill.

I'm trying to delete what I wrote and can't, because you wrote it.

Ok, where is that miller light? LOL

deadbodyman 08-11-2010 04:38 PM

You still on that light beer?????you should try what I'm drinkin.....I cant believe its friday already......YEE HAAA !!!!!
Seriously though I havent used it ......
but I went out with a girl named Wanda once ,and if that stuff clings like her you'll never get it off..... :eek:

chetofnj 10-25-2010 08:59 AM

Wanda Paint

A previous poster was correct. Wanda is owned by Akzo Nobel Coatings and it was named after the inventor's daughter. I am the co-owner of a NJ jobber and we sell Wanda Paint. It is an exceptionally priced product and our customers consistently praise the color match and coverage. We have sold more than 4,000 Wanda mixes to over 200 customers through Sep 2010. We have a Sikkens shop that purchased over 150 mixes for their rental car work. A Sikkens Waterborne shop that uses Wanda for their dealer work. A pint of Wanda will typically cost between $19 and $35. A shop with a Diamont or Chromabase mix machine couldn't make a pint for less than $40 to $50. The name is strange, but the quality and price can make capped jobs profitable

shine 10-25-2010 09:09 AM

my granpa always told me "you caint sell a thousand dollar bull for 500 and keep the ranch long " . after all the work it takes to get a car to paint ready why would you cut corners on paint ? unless you want it to look like a car lot job .

da34guy 10-25-2010 04:44 PM

I'm with Shine on this 1.
As chetofng said
"It's good for fleet jobs,rental cars and other junk like that"
Ain't no way in hell I'm puttin "Bottom of the barrel" products on sumthin
I've invested hundreds of hours in to get ready to paint.
Ya buy cheap ya get cheap.