Anybody used central pnuematic compressor pum - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anybody used central pnuematic compressor pum

I bought a 3 hp air compressor pump from harber freight.When it pumps between 75-134 psi it blows oil out of vent.Alot of oil.I went and exchanged for another one still does the same thing.Anybody used these pumps are they all bad? give me some help tired if going back to tulsa. ps I know these pumps are not that good.But they should be alright when they are new. thanks proge

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Welcome to Chinaland.....
Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

I will not by anything that has a motor or hydraulics from HF. My sand blaster works fine but there is nothing to it just a square box a gun and a hose. I have had to take too many things back to chance it anymore.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn Owl
I will not by anything that has a motor or hydraulics from HF.

Don't rule out everything just because it comes from HF, they also carry Puma brand compressors and you can believe this or not but the large US General compressors are made in USA, even the tank is made in Virginia! I have no personal experience with the US General other than to look at them in the stores but for the money they look like a darn good buy, they have A.O. Smith electrics and some of them actually have Baldor motors.

Now back to the topic, I have installed a couple of the 5 HP V-type pumps and they work good but at least two of the guys here have bought the same pump you have and were not satisfied at all. Have you eliminated all other possibilities? How about the backflow valve in the tank? How do you have the unloader valve plumbed?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I have one of those installed and it works fine,,will it replace a quincy well no but for 99 dollars it works..

Sam
Old 08-27-2009, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

I would think that for enough pump blow-by to cause that much crankcase pressure would require a major fault such as a hole in a piston or maybe someone even forgot to install rings! It would be very strange for two pumps to have the same major flaw but I guess anything is possible and if they were both built the same day,,,,,well who knows what might happen? Still every other possibility should be eliminated before blaming the pumps, which very well may be at fault, so look the set up over and see if there is any other possible way for pressure to be leaking from the tank or supply lines into the crankcase. My first question would be, does the oil/air continue to leak for a while even after the pump shuts down? If so then for how long?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:32 PM

I am going tp put in a new check valve

I have ordered a new check valve for air tank.Somebody said to take air line from tank and it should hold pressure.It does.I dont know if a lon break in period is required.I have put in about 2 quarts oil as it gets low. let me know what you think thanks proge
Old 08-27-2009, 05:32 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

You sure your not just over filling the pump? Two quarts seems like a lot.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdbeard
Two quarts seems like a lot.

And then some! Does that pump have a sight glass or dipstick? If you took the line loose from the pump to the tank with the tank pressurized and it did not leak air then you do not need a new check valve. Also if the leak stops as soon as the pump stops (that is no oil or air leaking out) then it should be one of two things, either the pump actually does have that much blow-by or it is over full.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:45 PM

pump has a sight glass

the pump has a sight glass and I have filled it to the center of the glass which is what instructions say.It does not say how much oil to use.It took over a quart to fill it. thanks proge
Old 08-28-2009, 08:20 AM

Last photo:

I sure thought we had found the problem but it sounds as if the oil level is correct so that's not it. If air and/or oil continues to leak out for more than a few seconds after the pump stops then it is air pressure leaking into the crankcase from the tank, if however it continues to leak for only a couple of seconds or so after the pump stops then it is most likely blow-by from the pistons. If it stops instantly and no air is leaking either when running or after it stops then it is some sort of mechanical malfunction or simply too much oil in the crankcase but I think we have ruled out the oil level being the problem. Describe the leak in more detail, does it leak air along with the oil? Does it continue to leak either oil or air for a time after the pump stops? If so for how long?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM

pump runs normaly to about 75 lbs

Then it starts to spit oil out of vent and the more pressure there is untill it spews oil out.I have got a long hose with a funnel on the end and run it.Only way I can keep oil in it.Real soutnern engineering.But at least I can keep oil in it.I may just open tank valve and watch and let run for an hour. thanks proge
Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by proge
I bought a 3 hp air compressor pump from harber freight.When it pumps between 75-134 psi it blows oil out of vent.Alot of oil.I went and exchanged for another one still does the same thing.Anybody used these pumps are they all bad? give me some help tired if going back to tulsa. ps I know these pumps are not that good.But they should be alright when they are new. thanks proge
There should be a bleed valve in the line from the compressor to the tank and a one way valve where the line goes into the tank. When the compressor stops, the bleed empties the line and the one-way stops back flow from the tank, these valves are probably combined in one package. This prevents back-flow into the crankcase and permits the motor to restart without the load of compressed air against the pistons. Listen for their operation, when the pressure switch shuts off the motor, you should hear the sound of vented air from the exhaust tube.

Some compressors are just messy about crankcase oil venting, even my old Kellogg American needs a length of hose and an old coffee can to catch the puke.

Bogie

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.