Anyone Airbrush? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hot Rod Art
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone Airbrush?

I took some lessons a few years ago and got into cartooning and such then not thinking left paint on the needle and messed it up. I use an Iwata HP-C duel position gravity feed (jeesh say that ten times fast). Does anyone else do air brush art? And possibly know where I can get a new needle and also where I can find a quiet electric air compressor?

Thanks,
-Keith

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Ford Man to the bone!!!

Last photo:

I used to do a little back in the day. I had a cheap setup and let it get gummed up too. Trashed it years ago.

Try asking in the "Garage - Tools" forum... you'll get a faster answer.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:22 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLaB
I took some lessons a few years ago and got into cartooning and such then not thinking left paint on the needle and messed it up. I use an Iwata HP-C duel position gravity feed (jeesh say that ten times fast). Does anyone else do air brush art? And possibly know where I can get a new needle and also where I can find a quiet electric air compressor?

Thanks,
-Keith
Look at some of the modeling (airplane, car, etc.) websites and magazines. There are many compressors specifically designed for airbrush use. You can also find airbrush dealers that my be able to help you look for parts.

tom
Old 02-20-2007, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Airbrush pro

It's very important that you keep the airbrush clean by running solvent through it at regular intervals. Get a little plastic spray bottle or those mini plastic 1 oz. bottles with the snap-open tops so you can measure out drops and keep it clean between sprays. The airbrush will only work as a precision instrument if you keep it super-clean for consistency of operation. If you're using water-based, water or a little alcohol would be your solvent, or a dedicated airbrush cleaner. Don't soak your airbrush in solvent because paint thinner or reducer will eat up the little o-rings and ruin it. Run thinner through it to loosen up the needle, but if it is still jammed remove the air cap assembly and firmly pull it out or push it through without bending it. Bearair or Coast Airbrush are great for supplies, like new needles, compressors and whatnot. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001240.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	18704   Click image for larger version

Name:	bosssunseteb.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	18705  
Old 02-21-2007, 12:44 AM

I just got one for chrismas but im holding off on using it until i get a presure reg (one seperate from my big compressor) so i dont blow it up
Old 02-21-2007, 06:54 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Get a can of carb cleaner. DO NOT let it get on plastic pieces, but thats the ticket for cleaning dried up paint. I don't know of anything that works better. Flush it when you are done.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 PM
30 Ford 5 Window

Last photo:

Castrol "Super Clean" will do the trick if you soak it in it for a while... won't hurt any of your o-rings or plastics either.

A soak in "Pine-Sol" works too.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:03 PM

Last photo:

all the right advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguila1
It's very important that you keep the airbrush clean by running solvent through it at regular intervals. Get a little plastic spray bottle or those mini plastic 1 oz. bottles with the snap-open tops so you can measure out drops and keep it clean between sprays. The airbrush will only work as a precision instrument if you keep it super-clean for consistency of operation. If you're using water-based, water or a little alcohol would be your solvent, or a dedicated airbrush cleaner. Don't soak your airbrush in solvent because paint thinner or reducer will eat up the little o-rings and ruin it. Run thinner through it to loosen up the needle, but if it is still jammed remove the air cap assembly and firmly pull it out or push it through without bending it. Bearair or Coast Airbrush are great for supplies, like new needles, compressors and whatnot. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Agila1 gave you the info you need, use a good cleaner all the time, I buy from Bearair.com, I did this Model A mail box last weekend, my second one, took a class last year,but don't do much, it's fun when I find the time

Old 03-23-2007, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

If you have access to an ultrasonic cleaner, for jewelry or the ones used for old repeadograph pens, you can get the stubborn crap out of the hard to reach places. I had forgotten paint in my old badger for over ten years, and that's how I cleaned it. Then my wife accidentally threw both of them away. Now I have a new Iwata HP.
ink

Recent Hot Rod Art posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.