Anyone in Canada order from speedway? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone in Canada order from speedway?

Hi Guys,
I priced out a spindle and brake kit with kingpins, some steering components, etc and shocks from speedway. Came to about $650, which is fine.. but shipping to Canada is going to cost nearly $350!!! Plus I will have to pay duty and whatever other taxes they decide to tack on and the exchange rate.. so $650 in parts just went up to likely over $1100!!

Anyone have any suggestions how to get around the shipping or am I going to have to bite the bullet and pay up?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Yup the shipping and duty and taxes, not to mention the broker in there to, all adds up. You're right on your estimate. Double the parts cost.
You could try the oldcar centre in Langley or kms car parts in Vancouver. Might save a couple hundred.
Kms is usualyy cheaper.
The Old Car Centre - Street Rod, Vintage Ford and Chevy Parts - The Most Complete Source of Street Rod and Reproduction Parts in Canada
KMS Tools & Equipment from Vancouver BC, Selling quality tools at affordable prices all over Canada. Largest powertool, handtool and woodworking machinery retailer in Canada.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

The only suggestion I have is to drive down and pay a visit to our southern neighbors, and stay in the US for ... I think it is 7 days ... in order to qualify for a $750-$800 (per person) personal exemption.

I have been thinking about a trip to the Las Vegas Motor Speedway (lvms.com) near the end of October.
It just so happens that Summit Racing is also in Las Vegas. Lots of stuff available out of the Los Angeles area as well, which is only another part-day drive. Make a vacation out of shopping for your goodies. Take I-15 south from Lethbridge, as it's a fairly easy 4-lane drive.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 PM

Ugh I was afraid those may be my only options, thanks for the suggestions guys! I guess I will check those sites out and may be taking a drive south.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Obviously the parts would be sent by UPS, so why not find the nearest UPS depot, in the US, close to you. Contact them and say that you will have some parts delivered there. Give them your phone number so they can contact you when they arrive. Contact Speedway and have them send the parts to the UPS depot. Unfortunately, UPS will only keep them for 5 days and then send them back, so you had better be ready to go at a moment's notice and pick them up. That way all you pay is the PST/GST at the border which is not hard to take, assuming Speedway is offering free delivery. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

We see a number of our brothers to the north here in Washington State on buying trips and if you rent a box from the UPS store and have items shipped there it may save some of the hassle and heartburn..Then just be aware of when the items come in..My local ups store even has e-mail notification for when I have items there to be picked up..Worth a try anyway..

Sam
Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

use USPS instead

I've heard USPS is much beter than using UPS if you have a choice. UPS brokerage fees are supposedly near criminal.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Re: Shipping costs at speedway

I was looking for just Windsor 351 Con-rods they were cheap only $149 but the shipping was astronomical in my case I live in the UK
Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Thanks everyone!

Yachtsman, I can't imagine what shipping would be like out there! Shipping over the border here is bad enough never mind overseas! I feel for you man.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Re: Shipping costs at speedway

I baulked. The shipping quote was more that the goods. I wanted six con-rods Windsor 302 V8 to put in an Essex (UK) V6. I'm converting to E85 but they didn't have any, but ones for a Windsor 351. I had the rods and bearings shipped from info@perfectengine.com. California. I guess each State has different fee's. US$170+border import tax

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.