Anyone done a clutch on a Ford Ranger? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone done a clutch on a Ford Ranger?

Hey guys, my dads 2002 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4 cylinder has a leaking slave cylinder that needs replacing. Simple enough, however, the slave cylinder is internal meaning it rides on the input shaft (another brilliant idea of Ford). So to replace this I will be removing the entire transmission, and while I'm in there why not replace the clutch since it has 90,000km on it. Questions and concerns I have. What special tools are needed, I have read that a special Ford tool must be used to remove the hydraulic line from the old slave cylinder since they use a special "quick connect" coupling, is this true? Also if there is any other special precautions I need to know before tearing into it please enlighten me. I plan on doing this friday so I have a couple days to read up and gather the parts and supplies necessary to replace the slave cylinder and clutch assembly.

Thanks,
Keith

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 01:16 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

yes they do use a special quick connect.. there not a hard thing to replace, but the line is expensive if you mess it up, and they can be diffacult to bleed out..

check with the dealer tho.. slave cylinders on those trucks in that year were recalled. if the recall is outstanding, then it might be able to be fixed free
Old 07-07-2010, 04:59 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383SBC
Hey guys, my dads 2002 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4 cylinder has a leaking slave cylinder that needs replacing. Simple enough, however, the slave cylinder is internal meaning it rides on the input shaft (another brilliant idea of Ford). So to replace this I will be removing the entire transmission, and while I'm in there why not replace the clutch since it has 90,000km on it. Questions and concerns I have. What special tools are needed, I have read that a special Ford tool must be used to remove the hydraulic line from the old slave cylinder since they use a special "quick connect" coupling, is this true? Also if there is any other special precautions I need to know before tearing into it please enlighten me. I plan on doing this friday so I have a couple days to read up and gather the parts and supplies necessary to replace the slave cylinder and clutch assembly.

Thanks,
Keith
there is a "special" tool for removing the hydraulic line from the slave but, a flat head screwdriver will work as well since thats what i used for a good couple years before buying the tool. a little tip on the line removal, push the line in towards the slave when pushing the plastic release tab in. it will help take the load off of the tangs inside that retain the line.
also when it comes to the internal slave, when done with the installation of the trans, and ready to bleed the slave, its easiest to either back bleed it or use a hand held vacuum pump to evacuate the air that gets trapped inside of the top of the slave as the bleeder is more or less located about 1/2 way up.
other than that, with it being a simple 4 cylinder, theres no need to remove the exhaust, and should be a fairly simple R&R.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies guys, however, I can't seem to find anything on the net that indicates there was a recall for the slave cylinder of 2002 ford rangers. Do you have any info or links on the web supporting this?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, however, I can't seem to find anything on the net that indicates there was a recall for the slave cylinder of 2002 ford rangers. Do you have any info or links on the web supporting this?

Thanks,
Keith
Check with your local Ford dealer, just bring them the VIN number and say nothing about what needs to be fixed.

Vince
Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 PM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:

Thanks,
Keith
well i wont say that theres not a recall, because i havent looked, but since the clutch system that theyre using in the 02 ranger you own is the same design that they have used for over 20 years now and i havent seen a tsb on it yet except for bleeding precautions and procedures, id say its a safe bet its just normal failure which theyve been prone to.
i will say though, i do like vinces idea of going to the dealer anyway just to see.
ya never know. gl
Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I know theres a TSB on the "squeaky slave cylinder" which eventually transforms into an inop clutch.. I'm pretty sure there is a recall on them for the 2001-2003 model years, altho 2001-2007 have all had reports of the squeaky slave..

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.