Anyone else hate Big Rims on Muscle Cars - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,141 Times in 1,009 Posts
It's that old saying that just ticks me off, "it's their car".

I can't stand those "Donks" I think they got the name because you look like a Donkey driving one. But hey, I have chosen not to drive one.

I have stopped at shows to look at cars that I know had to cost as much as my house (no exaggeration) that was now worth a tiny fraction of that and wondered what in the hell was the circumstances where the stars fell into place for this to happen.

The first one of these that pops in to my head was a low rider 64 Impala with a fully chromed and engraved frame with gold plated engraved suspension components.

All I know is thank God not everyone likes only what I like this place would be pretty boring. This doesn't stop me from saying others are WRONG in their builds though. double

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

It's all a part of inner city hip hop culture, and rap. Buy a big piece of crap car they can barely afford to drive and put on big rims. Out of their car it's the same damn thing...no money and broke yet sporting $200 Nikes. Rap music preaches all this nonsense. I know a guy who used to frequent our skate spot for years and he'd always only have enough money for malt liquor. Maybe a dollar for food but always had the newest and most expensive Nikes on. This society is so damn sensitive to accept urban culture it declines to address parts of it that should evolve or transcend into something better. It's like, "accept me in all my stupidness or you're racist!"

Sorry for the bluntness.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:43 AM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

Inside "Donk" country

They all look very dangerous to me, about to fall over in any curve.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Back away from that Torino!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Every time I see one of those cars that are jacked up like a 4x4 on 25 inch rims I point and laugh. I don't mind some what of a larger wheel, such as high as 18, which is okay as long as it's not jacked up.
What gets me is they got to have those wheels just for the look and they sacrafice ride quality and the steering radius is reduced down to nothing.
The ones that really look retarded are the ones that are jacked way up and set up for dubs but they have stock wheels on'em.
My brother always taught me when picking a wheel, get the wheel that compliments the car without overpowering it, get the wheel to car ratio equal as possible and that's what I still go by.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:27 PM

Last journal entry: On the Road
Last photo:

I have a Cutlass on 20's

Hey guys its just like everyone else who has a hobby, it's something to do and to meet people. I am also not a big fan of the lifted cars on 4x4 frames but it seems like thats a fad. I work on alot of nice cars and I have a nice car in the works. My 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix I will be putting 22's on it. All the guys I know who have theses cars love them just like you guys. They just exspress it diffrently. What would you rather happen, let these classics rust away in some junk yard or be driven and showcased? Also all the guys I know have 9-5 jobs and work very hard to keep these cars going. I'm just saying the effort some people put into bashing these cars could be put into making your car just that better....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1578.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	65740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1803.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	65741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2201.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	973.0 KB
ID:	65742   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2254.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	840.1 KB
ID:	65743  
Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendus
Back away from that Torino!!!
hahahahaha
Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 PM

I hear ya. I absolutly hate the look of tall rims and low profile tires. It looks like crap and totally ruins the affect of what should be a beautiful muscle car. The more rubber the better. But that rule only seems to apply for cars....not the bed room haha
Old 05-31-2012, 07:46 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Personally, I think that guys that build a frame and then just slap some old rusted, unpainted, unfinished body with no floors on it are just plain stupid......but, as said "To each their own" We all have our own tastes

Budget RVs
Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by billonwheels
My 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix I will be putting 22's on it.
Any tire size is legit to me if it can fit at least a drag radial. I know they make them in 20", don't know about dubs, though. The interesting part for me would be details on the Pontiac engine you have- what size?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:20 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I think that's fine as long as it looks proportionate to the car. Sometimes it even looks sort of stylish though not my thing, but the enormous clown rims have to go where it's raised and just looks stupid. I admit though, I love seeing them cause I always reach for my camera and get a good laugh.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Any tire size is legit to me if it can fit at least a drag radial. I know they make them in 20", don't know about dubs, though. The interesting part for me would be details on the Pontiac engine you have- what size?
It's a 1971 HO 455, bored 30 over, Edelbrock 278 cam with performance roller rockers, 750cfm Edelbrock Carb, Hedman Hedders, Edelbrock 110 Fuel pump, March Performance Pullies, Powermaster 100amp Alternator. Edelbrock Pontiac Performance intake. TH400 Trans with BM Holeshot 2500 stall and BM shift kit..... I hope it moves....
Old 06-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

Big wheels

At age 53, I've seen alot of fads come and go. In my generation, we threw the nice factory rims, steering wheel, air cleaner,shackles and radio away. We put on great big wide tires that would Hit the top of the wheel wells..the cure..Air shocks pumped up to 60lbs that just killed the ride. And dont forget to ALWAYS re-torque those UNILUG washers that always came loose, LOL.Next we would put on 12" inch shackles and paint the rear-end housing White. Then we put on some rediculus" Chain Link" stearing wheel or "other". Then we would CHOP a hole in the perfectly good roof and install a $49.00 SUN Roof that always leaked. Next we Destoyed the Mint interior by installing Very Thick Dianond Paterned valour material on the seats, door panels and head liner.I'm sure you older guys can identify with all this and get a good Chuckle. Do I like "tractor" tires ...no! But I am just as guilty as this new generation for doing "the IN thing" to some very nice cars. I imagine the old hottroders thought MY generation was goofy as well LOL
Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhotroddertr7
At age 53, I've seen alot of fads come and go. In my generation, we threw the nice factory rims, steering wheel, air cleaner,shackles and radio away. We put on great big wide tires that would Hit the top of the wheel wells..the cure..Air shocks pumped up to 60lbs that just killed the ride. And dont forget to ALWAYS re-torque those UNILUG washers that always came loose, LOL.Next we would put on 12" inch shackles and paint the rear-end housing White. Then we put on some rediculus" Chain Link" stearing wheel or "other". Then we would CHOP a hole in the perfectly good roof and install a $49.00 SUN Roof that always leaked. Next we Destoyed the Mint interior by installing Very Thick Dianond Paterned valour material on the seats, door panels and head liner.I'm sure you older guys can identify with all this and get a good Chuckle. Do I like "tractor" tires ...no! But I am just as guilty as this new generation for doing "the IN thing" to some very nice cars. I imagine the old hottroders thought MY generation was goofy as well LOL
LoL, we still love the cars
Old 06-01-2012, 10:42 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billonwheels
Hey guys its just like everyone else who has a hobby, it's something to do and to meet people. I am also not a big fan of the lifted cars on 4x4 frames but it seems like thats a fad. I work on alot of nice cars and I have a nice car in the works. My 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix I will be putting 22's on it. All the guys I know who have theses cars love them just like you guys. They just exspress it diffrently. What would you rather happen, let these classics rust away in some junk yard or be driven and showcased? Also all the guys I know have 9-5 jobs and work very hard to keep these cars going. I'm just saying the effort some people put into bashing these cars could be put into making your car just that better....
I guess they do love their cars but my problem is the guy who owns the Chevelle has a 454 and I see it as if you have that 454 USE IT! Don't let it go to waste!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.