Anyone else hate Big Rims on Muscle Cars - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

What a shame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S6300067.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	65776  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 01:47 AM

Last photo:

big wheels=clown cars!!! i see it all the time in santa rosa. the biggest clowns are the SUV owners with their 22" or 24" wheels and rubber band tires.
Who in the the hell are these people who would spend so much money to be a clown???
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
On the Border

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke
What a shame.
I can imagine the car crying
Old 06-02-2012, 04:36 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke
What a shame.
Similar to the Camaro in my Neighborhood, it's not that bad though.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i am beyond sick with those oversized wheels.
i have the wheels on my car that i want on it, but its getting hard to find tires for the wheels.
an option, $325.00 per wheel for 16s, which also doesn't have a great selection for tires.

i'll never understand why someone would want to have a car the rides and handles a horse drawn wagon.
with rubber bands for tires when you hit a small pot hole, you need new tires & wheels.
even if you don't break a wheel, there is tire life,.. and that long line of drivers behind you that your holding up because you'll break something if you even try to approach half the speed limit.
if your going to put big wheels on, you need bigger brakes to go with the wheels.
if i ever have a car with 24s, you'll see 20 inch rotors and drums behind the wheels. of course i'll need a crane to pull a drum or rotor, which would make as much sense as oversized wheels do.
just like the dinosaurs, disco is dead, i keep hoping that this stupid wheel thing dies too,....
Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
I think that these big wheels look GREAT on these cars.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Plan B

Last photo:

I agree Brian, those do look good. Got me thinking...when the wheel and tire get tucked up in the well, it works, especially with long body lines.
Brad...
Old 06-05-2012, 07:38 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

looks decent when it's proportionate and clean looking. When it's raised and it looks like an RC Car it's a clown car though in my opinion.

I wuz fina put dem 38's on dat Regal, yo. dat ting would have been da truth, dawg!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:48 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

Ultimately, i feel we, as a society, are being too hypercritical;

It's okay to cut up the entire rear section of a car only to put 22 inch wide tires on----the prostreet thing. Does this really increase traction compared to a 11" wide actual slick---where cutting would probably not be nessesary?

But it's not ok to put a 24" diameter rim on a car?

Here we go with the "us" vs. "them" mentality. It's sort of like the the tuners vs. the muscle car guys.

i generally don't like segregation.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Last journal entry: On the Road
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds
I second that. I like to see all types of cars and trucks. Donks or Hotrods.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by against all odds

It's okay to cut up the entire rear section of a car only to put 22 inch wide tires on----the prostreet thing. Does this really increase traction compared to a 11" wide actual slick---where cutting would probably not be nessesary?

But it's not ok to put a 24" diameter rim on a car?

Here we go with the "us" vs. "them" mentality. It's sort of like the the tuners vs. the muscle car guys.

Have you seen a drifting competition in person? It is friggin WILD! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsiOkwICz-I

Brian
Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhotroddertr7
At age 53, I've seen alot of fads come and go. In my generation, we threw the nice factory rims, steering wheel, air cleaner,shackles and radio away. We put on great big wide tires that would Hit the top of the wheel wells..the cure..Air shocks pumped up to 60lbs that just killed the ride. And dont forget to ALWAYS re-torque those UNILUG washers that always came loose, LOL.Next we would put on 12" inch shackles and paint the rear-end housing White. Then we put on some rediculus" Chain Link" stearing wheel or "other". Then we would CHOP a hole in the perfectly good roof and install a $49.00 SUN Roof that always leaked. Next we Destoyed the Mint interior by installing Very Thick Dianond Paterned valour material on the seats, door panels and head liner.I'm sure you older guys can identify with all this and get a good Chuckle. Do I like "tractor" tires ...no! But I am just as guilty as this new generation for doing "the IN thing" to some very nice cars. I imagine the old hottroders thought MY generation was goofy as well LOL
i'm getting ready to put air shocks on a 69 torino gt convertible. what does that say about me? i'm still stuck in the seventies. i think every muscle car should have cragars. i'm sporting the original steel rims for now but i know it's just a matter of time before i get tired of looking at 205/70's. i won't put anything bigger than a 15x8 on the back, though.
i had a conversation about sunroofs just yesterday. why did we think they were cool?
Old 06-12-2012, 08:44 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhardy
i'm getting ready to put air shocks on a 69 torino gt convertible. what does that say about me? i'm still stuck in the seventies. i think every muscle car should have cragars. i'm sporting the original steel rims for now but i know it's just a matter of time before i get tired of looking at 205/70's. i won't put anything bigger than a 15x8 on the back, though.
i had a conversation about sunroofs just yesterday. why did we think they were cool?
As long as the air shocks are on the rear, you're OK. You gonna hang those hoops way out past the fender wells?

'Way back, the 'look' was a nose-up stance (done for weight transfer to help traction w/the rock-hard rubber), like the drag cars of the day. Not too much worry about aerodynamics when the trap speeds were ~ 100 mph for a fast street car!

Notice how much wheel well is above the fronts!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
As long as the air shocks are on the rear, you're OK. You gonna hang those hoops way out past the fender wells?

'Way back, the 'look' was a nose-up stance (done for weight transfer to help traction w/the rock-hard rubber), like the drag cars of the day. Not too much worry about aerodynamics when the trap speeds were ~ 100 mph for a fast street car!

Notice how much wheel well is above the fronts!
yeah, i don't like the ***-dragger look. ford was the worst about it in the 60's.
i just traded a 67 cougar for the torino and stock it had the same stance.
it's funny because all the modern muscle cars actually sit a lot higher than the originals did. they look good and i'm sure they handle way better but they just aren't classics. i still wouldn't mind having a 6.1 hemi challenger, though.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

So it's ok to put a skull on the gearshifter (does absolutely nothing for performance)

And it's ok to imediately replace the stock intake and carb for a holley (this too, usually does nothing for performance and if anything often hurts it.....)

And it's ok to put headers and very unrestrictive (noisy) exhaust on and i don't think this has any benefit except at higher rpm. But most of the time simply annoys the community at large.

And it's ok to spend $5000+ cutting up the stock frame/or body to install 18" wide tires which in, ok some cases does improve performance(if slicks are used), but i think in great many cases it is just done for looks (the pro-street thing using treaded dot tires). But it's ok, because you are always right and you are such a perfect human being. And anybody that differs with you is scum.

But when someone wants to put a 24" diameter wheel on a car..............OH NO WE CAN'T HAVE THAT; The person is automatically a degenerate. But you know, if that person DID NOT put large rims on the car and left it stock you would still find something to criticize about and categorize them as a degenerate.

My strong suggestion to all of us, including myself, is to start looking at yourself and stop criticizing everyone else for every little thing.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.