Anyone Else Having Problems With Dacco B-85'S? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:47 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone Else Having Problems With Dacco B-85'S?

We are a transmission shop in Houston, TX. This past week we installed 3 different B-85 type converters, into 3 different vehicles, and all 3 came back within the week for converter failure.

A little history on each vehicle:
99 Chevrolet S-10 with 4.3L V6. Truck had 218K miles on it and was starting to slip in 4th gear. On tear-down we found NO METAL inside the trans, and only the 3rd/4th clutches were glazed and starting to burn. Over-hauled the trans, flushed the cooler & lines, installed Dacco Converter. Cust. called 3 days later stating the trans was shifting funny-late upshifts, erractic shifting, and not wanting to get passing gear. Came back in & we dropped the pan and found the gray "paste" that looks like graphite covering everything. Dropped trans and verified converter failure as no other hard part damage (except the pump from metal from the converter). Also found the TCC PWM solenoid and circuit within the VB were packed with metal.

2001 Chevrolet Silverado came in with no 3rd/4th gear, 1st & 2nd only. 146K miles. Tore it down and found cupped 3rd & 4th steels & burnt frictions. 3-4 clutch drum housing was leaking around shaft. No metal inside trans during tear down. Replaced drum, rebuild unit, flushed cooler & lines, installed Dacco B-85 TMBX converter. Cust called on 4th day stating "Trans Over-Temp Condition" light on DIC. Advised customer to bring it back. Dropped pan, graphite "paste" covering pan. Dropped unit and tore it down verified converter failure. Had to install external cooler on reassembly as original was now clogged with converter material.

2003 Chevrolet/GMC Z71. 189K miles. Cust states no 2nd, no 4th & no reverse. Removed trans for tear down, found stripped sunshell. Minimal metal in pan, and on magnet. Rebuilt unit, replaced sunshell, flushed cooler & lines, installed Dacco converter. Cust called on 4th day stating truck was no longer running correctly as it would not upshift out of 1st gear. Towed in. Dropped pan and found gray "paste" covering pan and everything inside. Valve body tear down revealed metal sticking valves causing no upshifts. All other hard parts check out perfectly fine-verified converter failure.

Talking to my distributor-he tells me I'm doing something wrong causing them to fail. I've been doing this for 18 years, and have been using the same distributor for the last 7 years and have NEVER had problems like this. I told him that I am not doing anything differently now than I have for the last 7 years that I have been using him. Not satisfied with his answer, I called Dacco directly. As soon as I start explaining my situation-he asks me if this concerning B-85 converters? I say yes! He says they have 12 there at this time to be cut open & inspected but that they don't feel they are having any problems.

I tell Greg with Dacco that all I want to hear is that they have found the problem, they have fixed the problem, and I should not have any more issues going forward. Instead, he tells me that they are NOT seeing any abnormal issues, and have no known issues right now... Really? My distributor told me the same thing..... Does that restore my confidence? NO!!!! That's really all I wanted. If they would simply tell me that "yes, we had an issue and have corrected it and all converters going forward should be fine" I would be satisified. Instead I get BLAMED for the problems by my distributor, and told "no issues" by Dacco directly.

So, I know there are several other builders that frequent this site and I am wondering if anyone else is having issues with Dacco lately??? If I'm the only one, I'll gladly keep using them, and will feel more comfortable installing the replacements they gave me for the defects. If other people are having issues, I'll know that Dacco is just covering their back-sides and not admitting they had/have issues.

Please, if anyone can give me any input I'd appreciate it. If Dacco is having problems, I will be moving to another vendor immediately and not looking back. I feel I gave them an opportunity to be straight with me and they declined to do so, IF the problem is with them which I hope this post bears out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 12:44 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

The only time we had a problem like that is when one of the workers was installing the convertor dry,( not adding fluid in the convertor before installing the convertor)! Dacco was always producing good products if lately their products suck I'd be very interested! The quality is suffering for many products on the market now that you could trust in the past!! The almighty dollar is more important now then integrity and quality!

Jester
Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Painted, yes, we always put at least a quart or so into the converter before we install them, as well as lubricate the neck where the pump seal & bushing ride so as to avoid a "dry" start up. In fact, most Daccos ship with some fluid in them already. If you remove the protective cap and look inside you will see fluid in most of them.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Theres not much bad talk about them. Did all of these vehicles have the 4L60 transmission? Maybe Crosley will chime in with some of his expertise. I have to ask, do you trust your distributor enough to know you are getting what you order?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Up to this point, I've trusted my distributor explicitly. We have had the occasional converter failure through the years which is normal as I've had at least 2-3 a year with any converter manufacturer (some more). But this lately has shaken my confidence to the core. I have ZERO faith at this point that the "replacements" they gave me for the defects are any good.

It has already cost me about $1500 in labor, parts, fluid, external coolers, time, and reputation with my customers. I have a lot riding on the success of my converters/transmissions. To talk to my distributor, or Dacco, they act like it is just part of business. Well, it does not have to be a part of my business! This is what bothers me. The "such is life" attitude I'm getting from them.

I don't know about you guys but I just can't afford to have any problems like this. If the converters worked as they should, life is peachy. But they don't. And presently my life is rotten pears while I dig out of this hole that Dacco created for me.

Any builders care to chime in?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:46 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy
To talk to my distributor, or Dacco, they act like it is just part of business. The "such is life" attitude I'm getting from them.
This would be all I would need to know to make a change. Your distributor is Dacco's customer and you are the distributor's customer. They should both be working to make you a happy one. If they aren't willing to do that, go elsewhere. I believe every business needs more than one main supplier. I think I would bite the bullet and open up one of the junk ones and look inside for yourself, video taping every step. You should'nt have to do this but when all else fails.......... But that's just me. I hope you can get the issue resolved soon.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Your reputation is taking a hit! And that's worth a lot more then money! Customers never understand that your supplier and manufacturer are to blame! they only understand they took it to you and then had to take it back because of a failure!!!!! And they talk to everyone they know, how you screwed up!! You can talk till your blue in the face, and they will act like they understand, and when their out of your site they talk your shop down!! Its a fact of life, you installed it so your reputation takes the hit!

After that many failures , I would not take a chance on any more.

Chris
Old 06-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Last photo:

great...the trans in my fathers S-10 is in need of an R&R. Awesome.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 PM

Heard from another builder here in Houston that he too is having problems. He said his is more sporadic (4 failures over the past 3 months).

He also told me that Transtar is offering a deal where if you buy a converter from them, and an over-haul kit, that if the converter fails, they will give you a replacement converter & banner kit! Will have to look into that.

Bought 2 Transtar converters since this initial post and both went off without a hitch.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Did you ever wonder?

Last journal entry: Valve Body
Last photo:

Three failures and the distributor blows it off? WOW! Then the manufacturer blows you off?
I wouldn't be a customer any longer. Especially when the competition is obviously capitalizing on the opportunity. Capitalize on your opportunity to make it right for your customers, as they will tell others. Most people understand sometimes things go wrong. The make or break is how you the business handle it.

Apathy will kill a business in a hurry.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:11 AM
boatbob2

Hi KAWABUGGY.......

Hi,im not in the trans business,but,i do like the way you do the labor and parts free to those customers, with bad converters,you are one of the VERY FEW,who dont re-charge the customer,after telling them a BS story. we need more HONEST guys like you !!!
Old 07-01-2012, 12:16 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

i have a transmission shop in west virginia i use dacco converters on the most part i used transtar also both have quilty parts but dacco offers me better customer service when u rebuilt the transmission did u use a sonnax tcc regulator valve if worn they will burn up the converter and 3-4 clutches.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.