Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Anyone else love reading old Popular Mechanics?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone else love reading old Popular Mechanics?

I think my favorite old magazines to get my hands on are old Popular Mechanics and Mechanix Illustrated. These were written when people actually used their brains to figure out how to make what they had work instead of buying everything at Walmart.

I recently found a 1937, a 1940, a 1941, and a 1942 copies of PM. Except for the covers, the insides where like new. No yellowing.

I could read these for hours and never get bored. All kinds of just common sense and cool projects. When men were men and could build or work on anything. Back when women were in the kitchen where they belonged. The first half of the magazine was all advertisements for vocational training. Training that is obsolete or off shored now.

I was expecially pleased to find a 1937 Harley Davidson and a 1937 Indian advertisement in one issue.

I thought it was interesting to see how the 1937 copy was talking about some new interesting technology in Japan and Germany before WW2 began.

Still a LOT to learn in these old issues.