Anyone ever buy a tranny on-line? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2007, 05:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I think they're probably still good. However, I have absolutely no clue if either one is any good.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2007, 06:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I bought a muncie M20 on ebay from a guy in Arizona that supposedly was "in great shape except that 1st gear was a little noisy" (that's how he described it)
Turned out 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and reverse gears were all shot. It cost me $700.00 to land the tranny here & another $1100.00 for a complete rebuild.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_silent
I bought a muncie M20 on ebay from a guy in Arizona that supposedly was "in great shape except that 1st gear was a little noisy" (that's how he described it)
Turned out 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and reverse gears were all shot. It cost me $700.00 to land the tranny here & another $1100.00 for a complete rebuild.
I'd be willing to bet his feedback wasn't all that good.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 PM

Last photo:

Surprisingly it's 100%.

There are alot of ebayers that won't leave you a feedback unless you leave them one first and if you leave them a negative you can be assured to get the same back, then you look just as bad as they do.
It's a no win situation !
Old 11-25-2007, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Surprisingly it's 100%.

There are alot of ebayers that won't leave you a feedback unless you leave them one first and if you leave them a negative you can be assured to get the same back, then you look just as bad as they do.
So you didn't try to work it out with the guy?? It's hard to believe that someone with 100% positive feedback wouldn't try to resolve the situation. How many total sales did he have. That's another thing to consider. Someone can have 100% positive feedback but only have a hand full of sales. Then feedback doesn't mean all that much.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
So you didn't try to work it out with the guy?? It's hard to believe that someone with 100% positive feedback wouldn't try to resolve the situation. How many total sales did he have. That's another thing to consider. Someone can have 100% positive feedback but only have a hand full of sales. Then feedback doesn't mean all that much.

He had 77 transactions. I emailed him and told him what kind of shape the tranny was in. Here is a copy & paste of his response:

I am sorry that you are disappointed with the transmission.
Do you have faith in your transmission rebuilder ? I am a certified mechanic and know quite a bit about transmissions. The input bearing is not in a cage and the rollers will fall out when the trans is disassembled. I looked at the gears and did not see any broken chips or excess wear.
Again, I am sorry for your disappointment but there is not much I can do. What made your transmission worth anything were the build dates and codes which were stamped upon it.
You might try to reassembled it and put it back on ebay.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:46 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

I bought a B/M 700R4 from Summit, airfreighted to Spain.
I installed it and had it go bad on me, contacted Summit and without hesitation told me to send it back on their Dollar.
As soon as they had it over there a new one was shipped out to me, again Summit picked up the tab.
What more could you ask for ?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:38 AM

internet buying

Call the dealer up and ask a few questions. If they seem like you are bothering them don't buy anything. If the service is not great before you buy it sure will stink after you buy. Also check out ebay ratings and ask questions on a couple of forums. Bowtie does seem to be the best out there.They were willing to answer my questions without hesitation. When I call Monster Transmission where I bought it they will answer questions but are reluctant to come to the phone.

Don
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Surprisingly it's 100%.

I have gotten most of my 500+ feedback from selling. I leave feedback for the buyer the minute I see that he has paid, PERIOD. He has lived up to his end of the bargin the point he pays, PERIOD. Because of that I seem to get a lot of positive feedback. They know they already got thiers, I put a note in the package reminding them they have.

Buying, I have always left positive feedback the minute I receive the item, whether I have received it from them or not.

Well, I have changed doing that. I now will leave feedback ONLY if they have left me mine once I have paid just like I leave it for my buyers. A while ago someone blew it for everyone else. I left POSITIVE but honest feedback on a 99 cent item I won. It was a license plate. I simply said "I wouldn't have called it fair condition, poor would be more accurate, but it was cheap". Left it just like that but it was POSITIVE, not negative, not "neutral" or what ever the other choice is, POSITIVE. The rotten $*@&^$$* goes and leaves me NEGATIVE feedback! With a note of something like "My items are described as per NSAS guidelines" !!!! The ROTTEN *$&$@^& !!!!

So, that day I made up my mind, I deserve feedback the second I pay, just as I give my buyers and if I don't get it, I will NOT leave feedback for them. This is going against my grain, if I receive a nice piece I WANT to leave them positive feedback. But I am just not going to do it anymore. I have seen where I will leave positive feedback after receiving the item and later that same day I get mine, BULL SH*$ I won't be doing that anymore.

Brian
Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Question about eBay and big items....................Doesn't the shipping costs kill any savings that you may get?
I have a rule when buying stuff on ebay and it has never let me down. I don't expect too much. I try to buy only stuff that I can't get around here or that it is very cheap. IF I get it, I am happy because I have not set my sights to high. Because of this, I have been very happy with 99% of the stuff I have bought over the years.

A rebuilt tranny, there is no way I would do that. You are "expecting a lot" if you do this. A manual tranny, ok, maybe. But an automatic, no way, there is just too damn much that can go wrong. A tranny that you are going to rebuild anyway, yeah, I'll go for that. I did bid on a brand new NOS T-5 once and almost crapped my pants when I did the research after the bid to find out that it would be about $250 to get it here from Virgina! I was ready to ask the guy if I can pay him to keep it and forget the whole thing, but I was over bid at the last minute.

But honestly, if you set your self up for LESS than the best results when you open the box you will most always be happy with what you get. My brother has never learned this and is always complaining when he gets stuff. He is setting his sights too high thinking that the description is perfectly accurate and that the part is going go come in a down feather pillow lined box. It just doesn't happen like that most of the time. There are a few flaws, the box gets ripped open, ect. If it was STILL a good deal I am happy with or without the flaws.

Brian
Old 11-26-2007, 06:22 PM
406 Caprice:Rust Never Sleeps!

Anyone ever buy a tranny on-line?

I recently purchased a USED ford AODE (4R70W) online thru Ebay from a boneyard in southern Illinois and am very happy so far. The supplier was "BillSmithAutoParts" and they use Hollander interchange book to make certain of applicability and correct match. Because I combined this "pick-up run" with a visit to relatives a bit further north, shipping charges were n/a. I must say, however, that it's the cleanest and most well-organized boneyard I've ever seen. They offer 60day warranty if AND ONLY IF you use unit in exact application specified, and replace in/out shaft seals + pangasket and filter- which is really a "no-brainer "anyways! As far as Hi-Perf Remanf.'s is concerned- I might suggest you checkout "G-Men Transmissions" in Florida, or a builder in Phoenix Arizona I BELIEVE IS CALLED "PHOENIX DRIVELINE"? or "PHOENIX TRANSMISSION"? -as I've read in MANY different articles that the fella in phoenix is considered one of the "premier" builders in the country-although known to be quite pricey, as well. Check with others on this site as I'm sure some of them have knowledge of this shop, including correct name of owner and shop. "G-Men Transmissions" has a site on Ebay and offers good warranties and free tech advice. I can only say that as far as used is concerned-I'd go back to "BillSmithAutoParts" again in a heartbeat, as so far I am very satisfied. In case you were wondering why I would get used- the car is a retired squad interceptor ('95 CrownVic from Calhoun County Ala. Sherrifs K9 unit) and has over 184K miles on it. Hence the cost reduction move! For me it made sense, because I will keep old trans for myself to try 1st A/T rebuild, and AODE's are supposed to be capable of handling some pretty big HP and TQ numbers, and abuse, if done correctly w/quality parts. In the meantime I'll have the squad back on the road for just under $272-including 14Qts Mercon and seals/filter/pangasket. (Got the used trans on auction for very low $) Call me a happy camper- Jim

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.