Anyone ever painted a boat? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone ever painted a boat?

I want/need to repaint the side of my 92 crownline. It of course is fiberglass with a gel coat on top of that. I really only need to repaint the 16" or so stripe that goes down the side of it. Has anyone ever painted a gel coat? I am wondeing if I can use automotive paint/primer? Base/Clear? or if some sort of additive needs to be added to it? or marine paint? Any advise would be great.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by followme21
I want/need to repaint the side of my 92 crownline. It of course is fiberglass with a gel coat on top of that. I really only need to repaint the 16" or so stripe that goes down the side of it. Has anyone ever painted a gel coat? I am wondeing if I can use automotive paint/primer? Base/Clear? or if some sort of additive needs to be added to it? or marine paint? Any advise would be great.
Thanks
Ain't no differant then paintin a Corvette, or any other fiberglass car.

Just wipe down real good b4 ya shoot, as sanding fiberglass creates much more static electricity.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

Single stage urethane

Hey 21, If you just need to repair the stripe section, a single stage urethane may work out good for you. I did a major transom repair on mine a while back and had to repaint the stern area. I used PPG single stage urethane in the closest color match I could determine from the samples(Pearl White). I used the recommended primer from PPG, and followed the instruction sheets supplied by the paint store as far as prep, number of coats, spray technique, etc. Here is a recent photo of the ~13-14 yr. old paint. olnolan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01975.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	52478  
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by followme21
Thanks
If the paint is below the waterline, or the boat stays in the water all
summer, then you should use a paint containing biocide or use a biocide
additive. Awlgrip is a good boat paint brand.

If not, then an auto urethane will work fine. No problem in painting over
gelcoat, just prepare it for paint as you would normally. Just don't sand
through to the fiberglass fibers.

Last edited by Runnin'OnEmpty; 02-07-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 AM

Thanks all, thats what i was hoping to hear.. It is above the water line and does not stay in the water all summer.

That looks good OLNOLAN, I see you have thru hull exhaust, my wife and I dont agree on the the need for it. I want it .. she of course doesnt see the need to spend $1,000 on captains call. Is your captains call or is it open all the time?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

DO NOT PAINT YOUR BOAT! Use gelcoat on it.

You can probably get color matched Gelcoat from
http://www.spectrumcolor.com/
or
http://www.minicraft.com/retail/crownline.htm

Cleaned properly, gelcoat will stick to gelcoat. Paint will fade differently than gelcoat.

If it was easier, or better, or cheaper to paint boats, somebody would do it. No boat company to my knowledge does. There must be a reason why.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

Quiet At Idle In The Water

The only time mine is quiet is at idle in the water. Exhaust is Kodiac individual runner manifolds(aluminum) As soon as you hit the pedal in gear it goes from mild to wild. See this post for sound;(click on boat to start) olnolan
Eliminator Hot Boat Video(Driveway Run)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01971.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	52488  
Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I've painted boat for a guy last year. It was in acrylic enamel with hardener. He didn't want to spend too much money on it. I've put down 2 coats of vinyl primer and then shot paint over it. Came out pretty decent.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

Gelcoat

Daniel C. is correct in the fact that you can spray gelcoat and the fact that its the best and most correct way to repair or re-gelcoat the entire boat. In my case I just needed to refinish the stern section. I didn't know how to mix or shoot gelcoat. Then when I went to look at color samples, there were about 28 or so different pearl whites. The PPG lady allowed me to take the whole ring home to match it. They didn't do gel coat so I settled for the hard urethane. If this fellow is just fixing the 18" stripe on the less expensive route maybe urethane is the ticket. Mine only has one nick in about 13-14 yrs, ****ing rock from the lawn mower. On the sides of the boat it might get nicked up alot faster. Food for thought. olnolan
Old 02-08-2011, 06:38 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielC
No boat company to my knowledge does. There must be a reason why.
You're talking about fiberglass, but remember that ALL aluminum boats
are painted. And they're painted by the boat companies.
and they hold up just fine.

No automotive paint is rated to hold up on a boat that stays in the water.
I even asked the DuPont people if they made any and they said no.
But for a boat that stays in the water only a few days at a time at most
then auto paint works pretty good.
Use a urethane over epoxy primer and it'll hold really good.
Even on fiberglass.
I did my aluminum boat that way and it's been really durable
and held up better than I even hoped for.
I've seen fiberglass boats get painted too and they held great.
But only on trailered boats, not stored in water more than a week at a time.

Last edited by jcclark; 02-08-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

Working with gelcoat is not hard, it is just different than painting. Most gelcoat is a polyester resin based product. You most likely have worked with a polyester based products before, it is called body filler. Bondo.

Like i said before, gelcoat sticks to gelcoat. You can get properly matched gelcoat. Some paints will stick to gelcoat, but not as good a gelcoat does.

Gelcoat on a boat is typically .020 to .040 thick. Paint is about 1/10 of that. It is very common on a boat to lightly sand and buff minor surface scratches out. It makes the boat look new. A minor scratch can even be just buffed out, no filling necessary. If you put paint and primer on a boat, the next time the boat is buffed, they will be chasing the line where the paint is applied over the gelcoat.

The biggest issue with gelcoat is that is does not like to cure on the surface. It also does not flow out like paint. You have to sand it. You use the same skill set you use when leveling plastic filler. Once it is level, you sand with finer grits of sandpaper, and then buff it. A coat of wax, and you are done.

I have done both gelcoat repairs on boats, and paint repairs on cars. Gelcoat is much easier.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Gelcoat is top notch, but labor intensive and a PITA to do.

My body man did four boats for various members of my family. Normal paint like Imron or Deltron will not do well for constantly wet portions. If there will be parts that are submerged or wet for more than about a month it will blister.

Mine blistered where it sat on the carpeted bunkers and stayed wet longer than the rest.

I plan on trying paint on the side of my Baja. The last 3 or 4 feet will be submerged at idle, but from my experience with it, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:41 PM
boatbob2

....painting boats-

Hi,i have been repairing and painting boats for over 35 years,YES,you can spray gel coat over gel coat,but why would you? for example,if i re- gel coat a 28 ft Formula,deck ,sides,and transom. ,its $7,000 to $9,000 (thats dollars) first you have to sand the hull with 80 grit,,.use grease and wax remover,2 or 3 times,(changing towels frequently) Mix your gel coat,dont catalize it too hot (or you will be buying a spray gun) thin the gel coat with STYRENE,NOT ACETONE,spray the boat a minimun of 3 coats,(4 coats is better) add WAX to last coat.leave it alone til the next day. then the fun begins,water sand with 320 grit,if the gel coat is nice and smooth,you can START with 400 grit,(i use a jitterbug) after the boat is sanded,do it again with 600 grit paper and water,(still very little shine)then grab the buffer,using 2 different compounds,buff out the boat,if it all shines the same,wax it and walk away. probably 8 to 10, 6 hour days. BUT,same boat, use grease and wax remover 2 or 3 times , i sand it with 150 grit on a DA,wash the boat mix paint 1 to 1,paint and catalist,,spray a good DUST COAT of AWL-GRIP (US PAINTS) wait 30 to 45 minutes,spray a nice wet coat,wait 1 to 1 1/2 hours,spray a second wet coat,let it get hard,walk away from the boat,the jobs finished,(Time to do job is 2 to 3 days) $2,000 to $3,000,depending on repairs needed.much more shine than gel-coat,will last indefinately without dulling. your choice,gel coat or paint...
Old 02-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Maybe I am missing something. If it is only a 16 inch scratch that needs repair, I still believe the faster way to repair it is to use gelcoat.
If it is a 16 inch wide stripe the entire length of the boat, I still believe the best repair would be buff out as much as possible, maybe sand and buff again, and then do any necessary repairs with gelcoat.

I also believe if you are refinishing the entire surface, bottom, sides and deck of a boat, paint would be a much faster way to go.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbob2
Hi,i have been repairing and painting boats for over 35 years,YES,you can spray gel coat over gel coat,but why would you? for example,if i re- gel coat a 28 ft Formula,deck ,sides,and transom. ,its $7,000 to $9,000 (thats dollars) first you have to sand the hull with 80 grit,,.use grease and wax remover,2 or 3 times,(changing towels frequently) Mix your gel coat,dont catalize it too hot (or you will be buying a spray gun) thin the gel coat with STYRENE,NOT ACETONE,spray the boat a minimun of 3 coats,(4 coats is better) add WAX to last coat.leave it alone til the next day. then the fun begins,water sand with 320 grit,if the gel coat is nice and smooth,you can START with 400 grit,(i use a jitterbug) after the boat is sanded,do it again with 600 grit paper and water,(still very little shine)then grab the buffer,using 2 different compounds,buff out the boat,if it all shines the same,wax it and walk away. probably 8 to 10, 6 hour days. BUT,same boat, use grease and wax remover 2 or 3 times , i sand it with 150 grit on a DA,wash the boat mix paint 1 to 1,paint and catalist,,spray a good DUST COAT of AWL-GRIP (US PAINTS) wait 30 to 45 minutes,spray a nice wet coat,wait 1 to 1 1/2 hours,spray a second wet coat,let it get hard,walk away from the boat,the jobs finished,(Time to do job is 2 to 3 days) $2,000 to $3,000,depending on repairs needed.much more shine than gel-coat,will last indefinately without dulling. your choice,gel coat or paint...
Ayuh,... I'm with Bob on this,...
While Gelcoat might be tougher, 'n has to be shot Alot thicker,...
It ain't worth the extra effort...
Ya gotta shoot it on twice as thick, so you can sand 1/2 of it off, to get it smooth...

I've shot countless boats, both above, 'n below the waterline with Martin Seynor Prizim paints...
It's a Great, easy to use 2-pt. urthane fleet paint...
As long as you do the proper Prep, it'll last just fine...
This is a Highliner 222 I shot a year ago, last spring,...
It was allowed to cure a week, 'n then launched for the season, tied to a dock,...
No sanding, No buffing, No polishing, No waxing...
It's the Boss's comuter boat, as he lives on an island in the St. Lawrence river, during the summer...
These pictures are After it sat in the water from late may, to early november...
The bottom paint is Rustoleum white industrial enamel...

I use the complete M/S system, their primer, 'n topcoat...
1 coat of primer, then sanded,...
1 coat of topcoat color...

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.