Anyone ever re-arch their own leaf springs? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2005, 10:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone ever re-arch their own leaf springs?

Just wondering, has anyone ever tried re-arching their leaf springs? I don't mean to lower them, I need to raise them. Mine are sagging badly and frankly don't have $300 or so to replace them right now. Shackls look awfull to me.

These are on a German 72 Ford Capri. I called a local place but they said they would need to know the original specs before they could do anything with them.

I was thinking about suspending the enitre body with jack stands and let the axle hang. Then use another set of stands adjusted just under the rear axles. Then heat each side with a torch until the weight of the axle sags the spring down to the level of the jack stand. Just the opposite of what would be done to lower a car by heating the springs.

Anyone ever try it? These are three leaf. Would I have to get it red hot? How far of a drop would equate to a rise in ride height? Should I cool them with oil or water to temper them? I imagine I would have to slip the extra leafs out and heat/bend them separate from the main leaf.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2005, 12:55 PM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

I think rapid heating and cooling would make them brittle, and it for sure wouldn't last long. They'll be sagging again the first time you load them.
I think you would have to cool them very slowly, in an oven, or in a hot sand box. Or cold bend them somehow maybe.... that might not last either.
Rapid red-heating/cooling makes them hard, but brittle, then heating again to a near red state and very slow cooling would give them ....elasticity (is there a better word?)

Why not just get some leaf spring helpers?
There's at least 3 different kinds. I like the ones that go on top.... either an extra leaf assembly on top, or a bowstring coil. The ones that go on the bottom will just eventually make a bad leaf worse.
Or you can add a couple leaves from an s10 or something maybe?

Last set of brand new leafs I bought were $120 for the pair with front eye bushing. Then add any bolts, shackles and cushions needed.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Whatever you do don't heat up the leaves!!!!!

Take the leaves into that local shop and tell them you want however much more lift from what it has now. If you want 1" more tell them you want them to re-arch them with 1" more free arch. Also tell them that you won't gripe when they arn't the height you want them and will pay to have it done again when it doesn't turn out right.

It will cost less to do it this way then it would to screw up the leaves (what you would do by heating them) and have to buy a new set anyways.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:57 PM
let 'er go!

leaf arcing

Dude, if you take your leaf pack apart, and they are still in good condition, bring them to a muffler shop. I work in a MMufler shop and I have re-arced leafs using our pipe bender! CRUDE, but effective. Dont heat. gl

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.