Anyone ever use a tire groover? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Anyone ever use a tire groover?

I did a search and didn't find any info on this. I have a pair of new/old 10X15 pie-crust recap slicks I want to run on my Willys to special events - the drags, NSRA nats and such. Need to cut a couple of grooves in them th make them street 'legal'.

I have seen those hand held hot gun tire groover tools advertised since the 50s but always thought they looked like a gimmick. However, since I can't find anyone in town who can groove my tires, I thought it was worth a try. Do they work? Looks like it would take about 3 months to cut a groove around a tall slick. Does it take forever or go pretty quickly? I have heard of guys cutting grooves with a circular saw mounted with two blades too. Don't think I want to got that route just yet!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Exhaust, Filler, and Trailer
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A long time ago in a galaxy far away......

Actually it was around 1974 in West Virginia. I used to help a guy who had a 61/62 Galaxy Claimer. We re-grooved his right front (IIRC) one night. So this was deepening three or four grooves around the center and then cutting across every three inches or so. While I don't intend to ever do that again, I think a couple of grooves shouldn't take you more than one evening. The real hard part is probably going to be keeping it straight. I would lay out tape to use as a guide. Also, (once again IIRC) the thing seemed to not be able to keep up with the heat. So if it started getting hard to push, it was better to stop and let it heat back up.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:37 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You might have better luck looking for a HEAVY TRUCK TIRE DEALER. Many tire options sold there are Regrooveable.

Also consider HI-TECH TIRE SHOPS that can cut high spots off the tread area to get rid of vibrations. All you need (or used to need) is two parallel grooves on the tread surface (I wouldn't trust them on wet road surfaces ).
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
You might have better luck looking for a HEAVY TRUCK TIRE DEALER. Many tire options sold there are Regrooveable.

Also consider HI-TECH TIRE SHOPS that can cut high spots off the tread area to get rid of vibrations. All you need (or used to need) is two parallel grooves on the tread surface (I wouldn't trust them on wet road surfaces ).
Absolutely. I will only put 20-30mi/year on these puppies. Old 10" pie-crusts w/ charcoal gray medium hole old Halibrand mags for that authentic gasser look @ rod runs. Normal day-to-day driving will be on my polished 8 1/2 x15 Appliance TorqTrust knock-offs w/ RT radials. In fact I never drive the Willys in rain - it is like the Wicked Witch of the West - melts if it gets wet!

I guess I will pop $40 for a tool and see what happens. I had planned on using a masking tape guide for the two grooves ~1" from each edge of the square slick. My son is at the CHP academy as we speak so I will have a get-out-of-jail-free pass when he graduates!
Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 AM

Last photo:

I've used groovers on truck tyres with great results, but on a pair of rare old slicks I'd make a positive stop to limit it's depth. I've got some old Firestone drag 500's sitting on my T altered, they will only be used for display - I'll run modern tyres at the track.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hey Jeff, when I worked at the wrecking yard in the early 80's, Gary Zarounian used them on the tires for their USAC midget. It took him about an hour or so to groove a tire. It plugged in, did it with heat. One pass across the width of the tire took about 15 seconds. Check out race supply houses.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 PM

Last photo:

Tire regroving

Hi, go to your local city bus garage. They do tire regroving every day. Rear tires on city buses can be regroved 2 to 3 times. They have hand held regrovers, hot regrovers and zig zag regrovers for a factory look. Bill
Old 09-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

http://www.daymotorsports.com/product/403/c/261

I can cut a tire in 3 or 4 min. Do every weekend it seems.

Flip the blade over and you can sipe a tire too.

Head is adjustable for depth.

BE carful, dirt tires you can cut about half agian the tread depth when new. But they leak air after sitting for a day. Slicks I dunno about.

Need idea's, call or PM me. I'll send some pics.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsongrass1
http://www.daymotorsports.com/product/403/c/261

I can cut a tire in 3 or 4 min. Do every weekend it seems.

Flip the blade over and you can sipe a tire too.

Head is adjustable for depth.

BE carful, dirt tires you can cut about half agian the tread depth when new. But they leak air after sitting for a day. Slicks I dunno about.

Need idea's, call or PM me. I'll send some pics.
Do you use the 250watter? Other places I read that tire temperature makes a big difference in performance of the groover. Having the tire just a little warmer will make it work easier. I am not worried about depth of the groove. These are real Inglewood recaps so the edges have 1 1/2" of rubber at least. I assumed the tool has some sort of depth stop. What should I shoot for, ~3/8" depth?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:21 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

250 is fine.

I even use it dead cold with a new blade If I 'm out in the pits without electricity. A little tougher to push it through but still plenty manageable with one hand.

Tire Temps make no appreciable difference. I grooved them from Room temp to racing temps at 220+. The softer the rubber the easier of coarse but you can still do it with one hand. Don't touch the tire though!

Make, find, or borrow a stand or mount, one you can lock into place, to hold the tire for you. Just makes things a little easier.

I usually jack up the front and attach the rims and tire to the front rotor of my race car with a few finger tight lugs. I don't have front fenders so access is open and I can roll the tire around with one hand and hold the gun with my other. I should build a stand this winter.

3/8 sounds like it be plenty.

You can use a tire pen to plan out the marks. Then cut on the lines.

Last edited by johnsongrass1; 09-29-2006 at 10:24 AM. Reason: stupid

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.