Anyone experienced in HoK's products? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2008, 09:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone experienced in HoK's products?

Hello all. Im looking for someone experienced with House of Kolors products. In specific, Im looking for opinions, recommendations, tips, and a rough idea of the cost associated with the materials.

Im going to be painting my car this winter. My shop mainly uses PPG, but I've seen some HoK's stuff that is just amazing. Will I have any problems if I use PPG Epoxy before spraying their paints/sealants.

Im considering basing my car with their Shimrin base coat, than applying a couple coats of their Shrimin "kandy' base coats to get that Candy affect. Tech sheet says 3-4 coats for full coverage for their base coats, and the tech sheet for the Kandy base says 3-4 coats as well. If I cut back on the Kandy base coats, will that just decrease the effect, or?

Thanks alot guys, any help is appreciated. P.S., Im talking about their Kandy base and not their Kandy's. thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

When HOK says 3-4 coats for coverage they mean it..The PPG will be fine..I am a bit confused as you do not get the Kandy effect with just the base..you shoot a base of the appropriate color then shoot the Kandy over that to get the color and effect that you want and then clear over that..

Spray technique is vital as any uneveness in the application will show up as tiger stripes or mottling..Kandies are a real test of a painter..

Good luck

Sam
Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 AM

Hok

The previous post is RIGHT.
Another thing about HOK.......They have been in the custom paint business FOREVER....they literally wrote the book on this stuff.
They were experimenting with this thing when I was a kid and it was all pretty new.
While HOK has actually been sold to a larger company....John K is still active, and out doing seminars, they are still developing new products and they have FANTASTIC support. Call em and ask a question.
They do seminars all over the country....you may want to take one before you shoot your project.
I use different types, and brands of paint for different types of projects...mostly Dupont....after you have been at it for a while you have lots of product around and it seems tougher to make the change over to a new product line.....BUT when it comes to the real high end custom stuff I break out the HOK chart and go at it.
Everyone screams about the price....it's crazy expensive but it is the good stuff.
JMO
Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 AM

Last photo:

House of Kolor has an excellent reputation. In addition to their main Web site at http://www.houseofkolor.com/ they also have a site called House of Kolor Digital Paint Booth at http://www.hokdigitalpaintbooth.com/

Although that site seems to be being rebuilt, it offers software for painters who use their products.

One relatively new automotive paint manufacturer is worth mentioning: Southern Polyurethanes. Take a look at what they're doing: http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/
Old 09-15-2008, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
When HOK says 3-4 coats for coverage they mean it..The PPG will be fine..I am a bit confused as you do not get the Kandy effect with just the base..you shoot a base of the appropriate color then shoot the Kandy over that to get the color and effect that you want and then clear over that..

Spray technique is vital as any uneveness in the application will show up as tiger stripes or mottling..Kandies are a real test of a painter..

Good luck

Sam
My understanding from the HoK website was that this "Kandy Base Coat" was supposed to give the same type of effect (Im sure not to the same extent) as traditional kandy finishes, but with less coats, and easier, user-friendly application.

Thansk guys.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

About the price..the highest price in my catalog is 67.00 quart..compared to some of the materials from ppg that is cheap..

Sam
Old 09-15-2008, 11:23 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Your refering to the KBC line which is HOK's, "Kandy in a can" line.
You get "about" the same effect as a real kandy job but in a easier,base coat,type application.
Not bad for what you get and repairing is a LOT easier than a true kandy job,BUT, It's no real kandy job. It has a lot of pearl as well as kandy "chunks" which melt as you apply to give it a kandy appearance.
True kandy is a major job which requires some serious skill as well as a clean enviroment to do. HOK came out with the KBC line for a nice paint job with kandy aspects but a lot less trouble to spray.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

I wasn't able to find any reference to "Kandy in a can". Are you referring to House of Kolor Majestic Kandy Basecoat?

http://www.houseofkolor.com/news/MajesticKandy.jsp
Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Thats the basecoat, just one of the colours I beleive.

I got the prices from a local supplier, 60-75 for a quart of regular base, and about 90 for KandyBaseCoats. This doesn't seem too crazy, as I was paying $110 a litre (just over a quart) for Glasurit waterborne.

Primer also doesnt seem too bad, their KD2000 primer 175 a gallon, 50 for activator and a gallon of RU311 Reducer for 85.

So price wise, this stuff seems very, very reasonable.

I wish I could see some HoK vehicles in person!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.