Hot Rod Forum banner

Anyone familiar with Jag rear end?

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  koegeb16 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1986 Jaguar XJ6 rear end, complete -- pulled out of car myself. Anyone familiar with these? I've been told that the gears are the same as a Dana 44, and found that it most likely has 2.88 gears now. I'll have to change to something like a 3.31 when I put it to use. Anything I should look specifically for? I know it has the standard Chevy bolt pattern, will have to get the rear hubs redrilled for Ford/Chrysler/AMC for my car. One of the calipers is stuck and I need new rotors, but everything else seems okay. I will probably replace all the seals before installing. Don't know anything about the universal joints as far as size yet, may have to get a driveshaft made too. Any words of wisdome would be appreciated. They way this thing is made it's no wonder it's popular -- it could easily be put in anything that had a live axle! Only paid $100 for it!! :D

#2 ·
I just built one out of a '91 XJS. Mine has the 2.88:1 gear also. I'm leaving it in as it will be an excellent highway gear and the car will weigh only 1600 lbs. It sounds to me like you're on the right track however except for re-drilling the flanges. Why not just use Chevy wheels ? Replacing all the seals is a good idea...they do seem to be leakers. Calipers and rotors are on eBay all the time....cheap ! Type "jaguar rear" on the search line.

#4 ·
the internals are indeed dana 44, but mant of the pinions are 10 spline as opposed to 26 splines in US applications, if yours is a 10 spline one you will need to get a part from dana called: DANA SPICER 2-1-2391 if you buy yous ring and pinion from some aftermarket place in the US, which is the coupler but with 26 splines instead.

other mods can be replacing the needle barings which are abbundant (and expensive)in the controll arms with bronze bushings, do a search, there are a couple of companies doong Cobras that have this, and finnally ive seen wilwood calipers mounted in the rear so it is possible, but i decided to just use the stock jag brakes which are more than fine for my roadster.

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: deuce_454 ]</p>

#7 ·
I've finally started pulling this thing apart. All bearings and bushings are great! Only problem area is the bearings in one of the hubs. A plastic plug came out while the thing was being run and crap got in, causing bearings to get tight (but luckily not seize, so everything can be cleaned up and used). Man is everything hard to get to! I'm looking into adapting some GM front drive vented rotors rather than using the solid ones. Other cars use solid rear rotors, so maybe it isn't the best idea, but if they can be adapted with just a little machining why not?
Someone asked why redrill the hubs. This is going in my Rambler, and it uses the more common 5x4.5 pattern vs. the GM 5x4.75. This will be more or less a daily driver, don't want to carry two spares! I use a "donut" spare from a Jeep XJ rather than full size, no point in carrying the extra weight unneccessarily!

#9 ·
Thought I'd pass on some info for that Jag axle!
I'm getting somewhere, but not fast! Have everything apart and painted except the center section (diff). Still waiting on the gear issue. I found out why there can be problems with the brakes. The calipers overheat and the heat cooks the axle and brake caliper seals if you run the vehicle really hard. Vented rotors help but are costly. Hot rods rarely experience this problem because they have more air flow around the rear axle. I think I'll have more than the typical Jag, so shouldn't be a problem for me. One of my calipers I'm rebuilding ($20 kit), the other have a piston rusted solid in it ($139 exchange to replace.. ouch!).

I found something out about using Dana 44 gears. The gears are cheap enough at $180 or so a set, but the cutoff for the carrier is 2.88. Anything steeper (3.08, 3.31, etc.) needs a new carrier at $150 or so. The D44 pinion shaft is a different size than the Jag, so you will need to order the right size bearings. Nothing special, just measure shaft and outside of original Jag bearing and order. Same for the pinion seal. You can get a flange for $125-$150 that will accept the Jag driveshaft, but cheaper ($65-$100) to use a US style yoke with straps. Order a seal after you get the yoke -- again by measuring and ordering from an industrial bearing supply house. You will also need the D44 crush washer. That's about $500-$600 so far. The holes in the D44 ring gear are slightly larger than the holes in the Jag gear, meaning the bolts in the Jag carrier are smaller. So you either have to drill and tap the Jag carrier for larger bolts (I like that idea best!) or get spacers or shoulder bolts made. CWI in Washington State will sell you a complete kit with gears and all for $650, but you will need to buy the carrier for another $150. Coventry West in Atlanta will sell a rebuilt diff for $700. I'm looking into that now, but don't know if they will take my 2.88 diff as an exchange for a 3.31 model at that price.

The European models got all kinds of different ratios, but North American XJ6 only came with 3.54 with four speeds and 3.07 with autos (mid 70s-mid 80s), and 2.88 with autos in the late 80s-early 90s. 68 (first year for XJ-6) to mid 70s models used a 3.31 gear with the auto trans (a Borg Warner similar to a Ford FMX, and the BW used by AMC and Studebaker). Older big Jags (pre 68) used a 3.54 rear axle, XKE six w/four speed a 3.07 with 3.31 or 3.54 optional.

Well, that about sums it up! For new Jag rebuild parts I can't recommend Jag Outlet (www.jagoutlet.com) enough! E-mail Jon (jon@jagoutlet.com) and let him know I sent you! I bought the caliper and kit and hub bearing kits from him, all prices reasonable.

#10 ·
Jaguar rear-end

Sir, My name is Brigitte. I am currently working on restoring a 1978 Jaguar XJ6 and my husband and I are currently on the rear end as well. I would like to ask if you are aware of a good place to pick up the differential and inner workings to replace our old Dana 44 rear end. Any help or contacts you could offer would be a great help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.