Anyone got an opinion about Pertronix? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Anyone got an opinion about Pertronix?

Talked to some dude the other day and during the conversation he suggested I get a Pertronix ignition system for the Points type distributor for my very near stock 69 Firebird. I watched a video about how to install it on youtube and it appears to replace both the points and condenser inside the distributor with what I think is a little computer. Is it a good idea to buy this system or not? Different brand?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

I have ran the petronix conversions in 4 or 5 rides and only had trouble one time and it was my bad not the petronix kit.
I really like them easy to install and can be change back to points whenever you want, I would keep the points and things in the console or glove box just in case you ever do need them never know. JMO
I say go for it ex-specially if your trying to keep the original stock look of the engine/bay area.

Cole
Old 01-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=eloc431962]I have ran the petronix conversions in 4 or 5 rides and only had trouble one time and it was my bad not the petronix kit.
I really like them easy to install and can be change back to points whenever you want, I would keep the points and things in the console or glove box just in case you ever do need them never know. JMO
I say go for it ex-specially if your trying to keep the original stock look of the engine/bay area.

I agree. I've used their products with no problem. One example is my IH gas backhoe. It was an impossible pain to start until I converted it to Pertronix ign.. Fires off every time now..
Old 01-18-2012, 12:54 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I've had very good service out of pertronix products. Sure can't say that about accel.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

The latest Street Rodder mag has a DIY write up on doing this conversion. I've never used it so have no personal experience since I always will go with either a full MSD, (dist, coil, box) or at least a box and coil
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

pertronix

i've used them in my bucket for yrs... untill i changed the coil to a almost zero resistance and smoked the ign sys...
U GOTTA RUN A BALLAST RESISTOR.. i replaced it with a mallory sys (same as pertronix) and working fine.. they both work great .. but make sure u have the resistance.. period !!!!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Last photo:

I bought a crane PS20 not too long ago. It came with a ceramic block thing. Is that a ballast? Right now I am thinking that a ballast creates resistance. Brings down the 12v from the batt to 8v so it doesn't fry the electronic points. Whereas a HEI system would want 12v right? Why does it need resistance anyway, I don't get it.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Chorris
I bought a crane PS20 not too long ago. It came with a ceramic block thing. Is that a ballast?

That should be the "BALLAST RISISTOR" but it's not needed on every application the 3 or 4 times i used it was without the Ballast worked fine for me, but remember some will have to have one but not all if your ride calls for one then i would use one. JMO And the Ballast is for reducing the voltage to the coil. And an ignition system that used a 12v coil with a 12v feed from the battery from the ignition switch don't need or didn't come with a "BALLAST RISISTOR " JMO
Cole
Old 01-18-2012, 11:30 AM

Last photo:

Jmo

One more thing what ever you do be sure to run the correct coil with whichever system you go with, they do have Ballast coils out there if needed.
IIRC if you have a 12v with the 12v from the switch when you hook up to the Ballast it should brake it down to a 9v feed. someone elsse might chime in if i left something out.

Cole
Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I've got Pertronix conversion kit in two of my ride. The one in my 427 ha been there for 13 years. I used to carry the points and condensor to change if the Pertronix failed, but I tossed them after 5-6 years with no issues.
Just put another conversion in the 327 in my gasser about a year ago, but it's working great so far.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

best thing since sliced bread.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
best thing since sliced bread.
I agree %100.

Cole
Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck Chorris
I bought a crane PS20 not too long ago. It came with a ceramic block thing. Is that a ballast? Right now I am thinking that a ballast creates resistance. Brings down the 12v from the batt to 8v so it doesn't fry the electronic points. Whereas a HEI system would want 12v right? Why does it need resistance anyway, I don't get it.
A lot of cars have a built in resistor and you wont need a ballast resistor ( you have to bypass this wire if you have to use the ballast thats to your new ignition system!) if you use both, your car will still run but your really cutting down saturation and it wont run with the performance it could have and youll never know it! Early GM vehicles have a white wire looks like its wrapped in fiber glass going to the coil that wire is the resistor! Other vehicles have a different size of wire built into the system reducing the output (the smaller the diameter or the different material in the wire the more the resistance) a lot of Chrystlers have a ceramic ballast for their ignitions make sure you dont use the stock one if one is on the car!! (use one with the ohm rating that your ignition calls for). Some coils have the resistor built right into them too.
A resistor cuts down the amperage And just a little to high an amperage is what will fry your system (like a little too much will fry a diod right now)

I see this mistake with the built in resitors done on many cars and by very smart people so its not a hard mistake to make! Some built in resistors are in the harness hid under the dash hard to find!

I didnt answer your question (its already answered) I just thought you may not know this.

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 01-18-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:05 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:

Oh by the way if you see a chevy with that little white wire hooked to a ballast resistor dont tell him if your at a track it will give you an edg. Same thing if you see "built in resistor" printed on his coil and hes running a ballast resistor

Jester
Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I've heard that if the resistor is left in ahead of an electronic ignition system like the Pertronix, it can cause a failure from a low voltage condition.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.