Anyone had their car painted recently? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Custom builder and painter

Last journal entry: Another test fit of the axle
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

and i'm not being rude either.. lol.. i got a surprise when i was told 10k to paint my truck.. so i took the route that you might have to.. and I wish you luck.. i'm just stating to some of the peeps reading this that there is alot more involved than what most people think... I like to see what people can come up with on their own.. been dissapointed many times but been very impressed at times also...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2006, 11:50 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I started doing body work in 1972. Had my own shop for 11 yr's managed one for 2 yr's after that. Ran a engine shop for 10.yr's. Just telling this to let you know i've been around a little. I can't beleive how much things have gone up over the years. I now work in the bodyshop of a large truck company. I still think even with the 16- 24 hrs a day 7 days a week when i had my own body shop I enjoyed that time the best. Of course I was alot younger then too that may of had something to do with it. I still do a little on the side every now and then. I would think you could find some bodyman working on the side and get both a good price and a good job. I've seen jobs come out of a 2 car garage take frist place in shows a bunch.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

Chadsbodyshop..... I agree with you on the hours and hard work put in working for yourself. I did it for 4 years and decided to go back to work for someone else. The overhead, state and local taxes, etc. was too much for me to handle. You certainly, as well as any other business owners, have my respect. Also, I agree with you on the customers expecting perfection with every paint job. A good paint job costs, but perfection costs more!
Old 01-12-2006, 04:39 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have sticker sock every time that I see my electric bill and when I have to buy kerosene to heat the garage.

Aaron
Old 01-12-2006, 06:25 AM
Custom builder and painter

Last journal entry: Another test fit of the axle
Last photo:

I know it's crazy and the bldg with my booth in has 1 150btu furnace 1 80 btu furnace and a 115 btu torpedo,, and guess what... when it's cold all 3 are running while i'm painting to keep the building at temp.... now that just simply sucks..lol... i'm glad we've had a warm winter so far.. but that will soon change i think.. can't be in the 40's all winter this is just odd..
Old 01-12-2006, 09:41 PM

Last photo:

You mean there are people that do work on the side, and do completes under 5k sw. I agree with everything that was said. Too many people see maacos ads, and expect that price, but for it too look nice, not have overspray over everything, and have the paint still adhering and looking good many years down the road. Its after some people decide to do the work themselves and spend many tedious hours sanding, filling, ect, and still notice they missed a few things to take care of, that you see them have a new respect for the ones that do it everyday. I never understood why the shop rate for mechanical has always been higher then body. In this area, mechanical is somewhere around 60/hr, body averages around 45/hr. Isn't body more tedioius work, deal with more hazardous chemicals, and get very dirty or itchy at times. There are just as much if not more equiptment costs as mechanical.
It has to be hard for the small guy to make it nowadays, with overhead and operating costs. I have been in the trade long enough that basecoat/clearcoat was a pretty new paint system, and watched the prices skyrocket to what they are now. I do bodywork all day at work, and really don't want to do to many sidejobs after doing it all day, save for a select few. I started doing some sidework when I was out of work, but have always done some. Now that I am working full time again, it doesn't leave much time or a life to do a bunch of sidework. Also get a few people looking for stuff done for nothing when you don't have a professional shop. And if you have pride in your work, you don't want to do a half arsed job even if you did agree to do one cheaper then you should of. It would be nice to own a shop and run a business, but this profession, its just not an easy proposition.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:21 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

You can find prices that range from 1500-6000 for an overall here in louisville... Just depends on the shop, and we are not talking about a hot rod either.... then you have joe blow down the street putting on orange peel city paint jobs with no buffing for 500 bucks plus materials.... That makes it harder on the little guy as well, people never know what to expect..

What we see as quality and others see as quality is totally different.... COuld not tell you how many times I have seen bad jobs and the customer think it looks great... One color no dents... I would not send it out the door looking like that... it can be a tough market at times
Old 01-13-2006, 04:05 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

The first think you have to narrow down when your doing side jobs is just what does the customer expect and what does he have the money for.{Not always the same thing}You have to do a real good job explaining to them the oats are cheaper out the other end of the horse just not quite as good.If they want something below what you feel good about putting your name on don't do it. Just be sure to tell them why you don't want the job.Usually they'll see it your way and up their budget a little.Only you know what your worth and stick to your guns and you can stay as busy as you want on side jobs. As far as why do body techs make less per hour than mechanics? When i frist started out in 1972 it wasn't that way we made a dollar more. Not sure how we got behind but we did some how.To be good at this trade It takes a lot of tools and a lot of hard knocks experience.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:34 PM

Last journal entry: Getting it done
Last photo:

I recently had mine done at a little shop in Hemet. I was very happy with the job. It cost $3,500. You can see the pictures in my project journal.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.