anyone have any tricks for vaporising fuel for more mileage? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2004, 02:28 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

anyone have any tricks for vaporising fuel for more mileage?

anyone have any tricks for vaporising fuel for more mileage? i know about eagle-research.com's carb enhancer setup. has anyone have a practcal setup that heats gas for more mileage?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2004, 02:41 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

For what type of car?

There was a guy that had a setup that vaporized gasoline in a tank after the fuel tank and switched the engine over to pure vaporized gasoline. He achived somewhere between 140-170MPG. I can't remember the link, but I have all the plans for the FES system on my hard drive somewhere. There really is no need to heat the carburator, it gets plenty hot while the car is running. More than hot enough to burn your hand if you touch it.

Do a search for 140 miles per gallon, or fuel evaporative system.

EDIT: Funny.... I can't find the site anymore... guess someone doesnt want that info out.

Last edited by 87442lover; 06-20-2004 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:51 AM

for a holley , or mikuni, any carb'd car or efi.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:26 AM

Last journal entry: Fixed some leaks
Last photo:

You guys are aware that the number of btu's present in gasoline do not change even if you 'vaporize' it, right?

Its called snake oil.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:58 AM

correct, the btu.s don't change, but if you are able to burn more of the fuel you are using more completely, you should get better mileage. less "liquid' gas goes to the catalytic converter, which is one of the the reasons they are there for, to burn what did not get burned in the combustion chamber.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:40 PM

*doesent have any cats*
Old 06-20-2004, 09:42 PM

You know what happens to people who talk about high milage carbs and stuff like this don't you? A black sedan arrives in the night and 4 black hooded men take them away and they aren't ever seen again.

Oh yeah!... and all the plans they have drawn up are never found again!
Old 06-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

100+ miles per gallon.

Word to the wise...wear your metallic headgear.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by dmc12mk3
You guys are aware that the number of btu's present in gasoline do not change even if you 'vaporize' it, right?

Its called snake oil.
I DO NOT BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID THAT!

You do realize that gasoline CAN NOT BE MESSURED IN BTU's!

Gasoline only burns at 20-30% eff. in an internal combustion engine. Only the gasoline that vaporizes burns. They messure this in "BTU's" (British Thermal Unit) AT ONLY 20-30% Eagle research has it at only 9%, so yes while lets say a gallon of gas might get you 125,000 BTU's at 9% eff. that means at 99% eff. you get 1,375,000 BTUs per gallon of gasoline. Or maybe it's that you are only using 11,000 BTU's of that 125,000 BTU's... Anyway my point along with eagle research is that you can not accurately messure gasoline in BTU's.

I'm sorry, I'm trying to make sense, but it pissing me off to no end how much people DONT know about gasoline and its history. Gasoline has SO much potential and yet the technology always seems to disappear as soon as you hear about it. Then when you try to find it, no-one seems to remember anything about it!

And where is that site? Why was the link removed? Please put the link back up. Thanks.

Last edited by 87442lover; 06-20-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

Gas that's vaporized takes up too much space, so you can't get enough air in the charge to burn very much of it. Atomization into fine droplets, the finer the better, works best.

The 20%-30% efficiency of a gasoline engine means that only 20-30% of the heat (BTU is a measure of heat) given off by burning the fuel is used to create torque. The rest escapes through the oil & coolant, or as radiant heat.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:43 PM
Grumpy

Last photo:

No, no, no...

HEAT is the enemy. (this is also why you can not messure gasoline, or atleast "interal" combustion with BTU, I suck at explaining things)

It is the initial combustion that you are after, that overpressure, the force of explosion. The heat is a by-product, not a good thing.

Just go visit eagle-research.com and read up. Or go and research "The Pogue Carburetor"

Gas that is vaporized does not take up too much space, it can be mixed with air like regular gas and used quite well as a fuel.

You sound like someone from an Oil company. Think of it this way... Instead of $2.00 for a gallon of gas, $20.00 for a gallon. Get it? now run along and tell that to your boss.

Capitalists.....
Old 06-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

how would smaller changes in temps effect mpg, specifically is there a formula that could be derived to link temperature of the incoming fuel with the mpg of the engine?

for example it would be possible to assume that for ever 1*C increase in temperature the fuel would vaporize quicker, and that with a greater rate of vaporization a larger amount of the fuel would be vaporized by the time the intake valve closes, thusly the output (exhaust and power) could be measured and the relationship taken.

everyone could have a system that flipped to run part of thier fuel line through some of the rad to increase fuel temps and therefore increase rate of vaporization (which you could turn off of course for performance applications, imagine driving your dragster to the track for 120 miles, getting 50mpg, racing all day with non-compromized power, and driving home with 50mpg)

am i on the right track?

and 4 jaw, if you ever have extra time i wouldn't mind having you explain how your system you made worked, maybe share a couple drinks and shoot the ***** too
Old 06-21-2004, 01:08 AM

Wow, do you realize that the exposion force is actually the by product of heat. It is the HEAT that causes the expansion of gasses.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:29 AM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 454bb
Wow, do you realize that the exposion force is actually the by product of heat. It is the HEAT that causes the expansion of gasses.
and? i don't understand what you are tring to say, but i'll try and answer what i think you were saying...

if you want to make more power, you want to make a larger change in temp to create the driving force against the cylinder. This works well and such products as gas line coolers, air-gap intakes, and heat insulating carb spacers prove that this works to some effect. HOWEVER, we are not after power, we are after milage, and as mentioned it only takes approx 20 hp to maintain highway speeds. You don't need alot of heat change in a v8 to make 20 hp, so why have that extra 200+hp sitting on tap with the cooler stuff, when we don't need that on the highway. If you are to use less fuel in the engine as well as less air (both are heated, so less get into the cylinder) with the same air fuel ratio, i would assume the fuel would burn with the same effect, however it would create alot less power, which is what we want, less power and more milage.

i only have a physics minor however, so debate my thoughts as you wish.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:30 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Well thats a yes and no.

One, you need a certain amout of heat to set off the mixture.

Two the mixtue expands and NOW heat is the byproduct of that expansion. Lets not get into what we know and dont know about thermal dynamics and phsyics.

All that I know is that gasoline only burns at about 20-30% in internal combustion engines that use atomization as the method to vaporize the gas.

Now vaporization by heat can get that efficency up to around 99% Resulting in ALOT of miles out of 1 gallon of gas, alot more power, no burnt valves, less heat, and almost no emissions.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.